Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:26 AM   #1

I'm an avid photographer and have definitely felt the limits of my Panasonic FZ15 -- especially in low-light situations. That is why I want the Sony A100, partly because it has the anti-shake. Originally, I wanted the KM5D but it's getting harder to find but I'm falling in love with the A100 with each preview that I see. And I do poster prints so the 10mp on the A100 is warranted for my needs.

My dilemma is that I'm a college student and I would like to keep the costs down. Here's the "kit" that I would like to ultimately have for everyday use:

Sony A100 dSLR body
A basic 18-70'ish lens that's reasonably fast and sharp (maybe going with the $1000 kit that comes with the 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 lens is a good idea)
A walking lens that has the same wide-angle elements but a longer zoom (I'm thinking 18-200...dunno how bright...but I'm thinking about going with a 3rd party to keep the costs down)
A 4gb High speed CompactFlash
Obviously a camera bag

Is it reasonable to say that I can get that kit for $1,500? I don't really want to spend anymore than that...and would actually like to spend closer to $1,200...man, photography is expensive.

I'm pretty set on the A100 unless Sony comes out with another dSLR that is affordable like the A100 and offers significantly beter features. I doubt this will be the case as their 2nd model will probably be geared towards the more semi-professional crowd.
Comp625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:43 PM   #2

Thats just a start, it can... it will get way more expensive.

Other thread

You can get a 5d or 7d for hundreds less than the sony if you buy now. If your really on a budget, thats a gimme... you'll need that cash for other accessories.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:34 PM   #3

Haha, let me rephrase that...I would like to spend, at most, $1500 INITIALLY. I KNOW I will end up buying extra accessories like a sturdy tripod. However, I want to solely focus on getting the camera body, a basic 18-70 lens, and a longer 18-200 lens for as cheap as possible (without sacrificing great quality). I will have to also get a high speed CF card and a camera bag...but besides these 5 or so "necessities", I don't see myself needing anything else right away.

Do you guys think a $1200-$1500 range is realistic in my case?

And again, I thought about getting a KM 5D but I would like the extra boost in megapixels. I do poster prints so I really like the 10mp (over a 6) as well as the extra flexibility in cropping. The way I look at it: I'm going to be investing a lot of money into this damn hobby, mind as well do it right.
Comp625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:40 PM   #4

It seems pretty clear cut what your options are:

1. Save the money
2. Wait until the price drops (if it will)
3. Review lower priced alternatives (refurbs, etc.)
4. A combination of any of the above.

I'd say with the kit running a $1000, the 18-200mm will run $500 easily when it starts shipping. That's $1500 right there. You also have to consider the initial availability. The Nikon D200's require extra legwork to find, and after all this time, Nikon's 18-200 zoom is still very difficult to find in stock. The demand for 10.2mp may roar again like it did for Nikon. In which case, the prices may rise sharply from those who have them in hand to sell.
KarlJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:20 AM   #5

If you absolutely need the extra pixels and don't want to get the 5D which should soon drop below $500 for the body or $600 with the 18-70 kit lens, you can get the Sony A100 and the Tamron 28-300 XR lens which is selling now for about $149. It is excellent and covers pretty much any focal length you'll ever need. If you go with the 5D you can get the whole thing for about $750, with the Sony, it'll be about $1150 incl. kit lens.Spend a couple of hundred bucks on a tripod, extra memory, a backup battery, some filters, an old 50mm f1.7 prime lensand you are set.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:54 PM   #6

rduve wrote:
Quote:
If you absolutely need the extra pixels and don't want to get the 5D which should soon drop below $500 for the body or $600 with the 18-70 kit lens, you can get the Sony A100 and the Tamron 28-300 XR lens which is selling now for about $149. It is excellent and covers pretty much any focal length you'll ever need. If you go with the 5D you can get the whole thing for about $750, with the Sony, it'll be about $1150 incl. kit lens.Spend a couple of hundred bucks on a tripod, extra memory, a backup battery, some filters, an old 50mm f1.7 prime lensand you are set.

Rainer

The 5D is below 500 with the lens at Circuit City, if you can find one.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:42 PM   #7

Well I think you're idea is a good one for getting the Sony, i currentlyuse a KM 5d and a Canon Rebel XT, and have used a Nikon D70 in the past. I would say get a 5d but the extra resolution would definately be a plus for any situation. Also if you are looking to do any sort of sports or anything requiring high telephoto then i would say you definately will like the image stabilization.

Over the past year i've shot for a couple of newspapers and different companys, involving anything from large people events, sports (outdoor and indoor), and even coastal caves in Bermuda. In my experience the lens i use the most is my 70-300mm Sigma APO lens, amazing crisp pictures and the price tag of $150 is pretty good. I also use the kits lens and compared to the kit lenses for the Canon or Nikon this one is amazing. These two lenses let me shoot anything i really need to both indoor and outdoor (the 70-300mm is a little narrow for indoor though...). i also have a Sigma 170-500mm($750) and a Sigma 10-20mm lens($500), both great lenses but i will soon switch the 170-500mm for the Sigma 50-500mm($1000).

Alot of people here seem to like the 28-300mm Tamron lens however in my experience(i have a 28-80mm i no longer carry) 28mm is not wide enough for close indoor shooting, especially when there are lots of people around and you don't really have the option of moving. Sigma makes a 18-200mm lens($350) which i hear is good but i have no experience with it, in fact i've never even seen one.

So really the Sony with the kit lens($1000) and the 70-300mm Sigma APO($150), plus a bag and a CF card($100~), this puts you at about $1250 with a pretty decent kit. later if you find the cash i would really recomend checking out the 10-20mm Sigma, it can help with amazing shots. And if you're into wildlife photography i would say look at one of the 500mm Sigma's but really you can do without for most things.

Best of luck with choosing and as i was until recently a student on a low budget i would say that you can definately do this for about $1200. Also just as a idea for getting money for more lenses, look into photo contests around where ever you are you'd be amazed at the frequency of them and how few people even think about entering themselves.

Cheers,

Russ
rhowe7op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:28 AM   #8

I'd like to second that adding a Sigma 10-20 lens to the Tamron 28-300 would be great, but might not fit into your initial $1500 budget. And yes, Sigma and Tamron both make 18-200 lenses. It depends in which range you shoot the most. I like having the 300mm tele-end. My other lenses are the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 2.8-4 for low light tele-zoom (ideal for indoor sports, $79 from Cameta Camera on ebay), the Vivitar Series 1 100-400 4.5-6.7 (a very very good lens, way underrated, got it used for $60 on ebay), and most recently the KM 28-75 f/2.8 (great for low light in the wide and medium range, but costly - $300-400). Once I'll buy the Sigma 10-20, I'll be set for a while.

PS: I can also endorse the Sigma 70-300 APO lens, I had a similar one, I think it was 75-300 4.5-5.6 and it took great shots. But I sold it since I had enough lenses to cover the range, and the Tamron 28-300 lives up to it. Here is a full-sized shot I took with the Sigma. You can probably get it for under $100 on ebay. http://euromaninla.zoto.com/img/orig...b98fc5aae7.jpg

Rainer

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:03 AM   #9

It depends where you live. Circuit City stores around Seattle are still charging $600 for the 5D with lens.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

The 5D is below 500 with the lens at Circuit City, if you can find one.

RavenFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:07 AM   #10

I'd like to see a link to somewhere that is selling the Tamron for $149. As I posted earlier, it looks like the previous iteration of the 28-300 has dried up, and the only version available on eBay is the new version for $357. I haven't found a lower price for a Tamron 28-300, of any vintage, anywhere else, either.

rduve wrote:
Quote:

Rainer

RavenFalls is offline   Reply With Quote