Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:05 PM   #11

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
... the prevalence of green doesn't really show off its color rendition.
Awww... I like green. ;-)

OK -- How about some yellow, blue, and purple mixed in from a kid's party a couple of weekends ago?

Nice clear shots!
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:09 PM   #12

JimC wrote:
Quote:
cope wrote:
Quote:
Jim, based upon your continued bragging on this lens, I bought on
I didn't reaize I was bragging about it. Although, I've mentioned using it a time or two. :-)

I'm sure there are better zooms around. But, IMO, for around $100 on the used market, it's a pretty good walk around lens for the money.

OK.... let's just say that you'ld make a pretty darn good salesman! If it weren't for you I might have bought the 7D with the 28-100 cheapo lens instead of that fabulous 28-75 D lens. Too bad it doesn't have a little more at each end.

Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:31 PM   #13
Administrator

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
OK.... let's just say that you'ld make a pretty darn good salesman! If it weren't for you I might have bought the 7D with the 28-100 cheapo lens instead of that fabulous 28-75 D lens. Too bad it doesn't have a little more at each end.
I don't have the 28-75mm f/2.8 (although I've thought about getting one from time to time). It seems to be a well liked lens.

You must have seen my posts mentioning what a great deal I thought the 7D with the 28-75mm f/2.8 is right now at Adorama for only $899.

That's a pretty darn good price, especially considering that the lens alone is selling for almost $400 at some vendors (it's $379 at B&H).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:18 AM   #14

JimC wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I don't have the 28-75mm f/2.8 (although I've thought about getting one from time to time). It seems to be a well liked lens.

You must have seen my posts mentioning what a great deal I thought the 7D with the 28-75mm f/2.8 is right now at Adorama for only $899.

That's a pretty darn good price, especially considering that the lens alone is selling for almost $400 at some vendors (it's $379 at B&H).

Yeah, 899 is a great price.... I thought it was great when I paid 949. I think the Walmart price at 699 isn't bad either, but not crazy about the 18-70mm. I was at Circuit City yesterday and the price on the 5D dropped again.... 452. I asked to buy the display and just like a week ago they said no. I figure if they sell the display, they might drop the price to just under 400. I asked what is the point displaying a camera they can't sell and he said that there are still some around and it is possible they could shift inventory from store to store. I believe it because I remember looking for a discontinued camcorder recently at Best Buy and all of a sudden they appeared in stock. I just wish these stores had the ability to sell you an item from another store or order it online. They would sell a lot more product that way. In any event he told me to keep coming back because he felt they would be getting rid of it soon. I don't really need it, but at that price it would make a great backup camera and maybe eliminate the need to switch lenses as often. It being slighlty lighter might make it convenient for those occasions where the 7D might be a little bulky, though I must admit I had it around my neck for 4 hours Saturday and it wasn't bad.

You got me interested in that 24-85mm now. KEH has a LN for about 144 and a EX for 119..... 109 with no hood, but I think I'm gonna see if I can scoop something on EBAY. I'm still in the market for a good super wide angle, but they are so damn expensive.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:15 AM   #15

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
cope wrote:
Quote:
Jim, based upon your continued bragging on this lens, I bought one. It just arrived today, so I haven't had a chance to use it, but it does focus fast.

I thought I posted a thread on it, but I guess I didn't hit the sendbutton. KEH came through again.
Everytime I find something I like from them it's high priced. What kind of shape is it in compared to their rating? I hear they rate very conservative.

It is in excellent condition, and came with both caps and the lens hood. The lens is the original model with the smooth focus ring, but has a white rear cap which is newer, but that doesn't matter. I paid $119 plus s&h.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:17 AM   #16

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

You got me interested in that 24-85mm now. KEH has a LN for about 144 and a EX for 119..... 109 with no hood, but I think I'm gonna see if I can scoop something on EBAY. I'm still in the market for a good super wide angle, but they are so darn expensive.
The EX for $119 is the one I bought, unless they have multile copies. They are slow to update when a lens sells. I figured the hood was well worth the extra $10.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:20 AM   #17
Administrator

cope wrote:
Quote:
It is in excellent condition, and came with both caps and the lens hood. The lens is the original model with the smooth focus ring, but has a white rear cap which is newer, but that doesn't matter. I paid $119 plus s&h.
Yep... a lens hood is a must have in harsh lighting.

Let us know how you like it, and take some comparison shots with the 28-75mm f/2.8 of the same subjects in the same conditions if you get a chance.

So far, I've been resisting the urge to get a 28-75mm, even though the newer lens designs are probably a bit better from a flare perspective due to newer coatings.

Nothing I've seen yet convinces me that I need to upgrade from my 24-85mm (and the 24-85mm has better range from wide to long anyway, not to mention that it's a smaller and lighter lens).

Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:45 AM   #18

cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

You got me interested in that 24-85mm now. KEH has a LN for about 144 and a EX for 119..... 109 with no hood, but I think I'm gonna see if I can scoop something on EBAY. I'm still in the market for a good super wide angle, but they are so darn expensive.
The EX for $119 is the one I bought, unless they have multile copies. They are slow to update when a lens sells. I figured the hood was well worth the extra $10.
Yeah.... I figure it's worth the ten bucks.... although I imagine one of my other hoods would fit. Only use one hood at a time. The price on the Like New isn't bad either.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:53 AM   #19

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Nothing I've seen yet convinces me that I need to upgrade from my 24-85mm (and the 24-85mm has better range from wide to long anyway, not to mention that it's a smaller and lighter lens).

The MinoltaAF 24-105 / 3.5-4.5 (D)looks interesting and has a little more range, but probably expensive.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:17 AM   #20
Administrator

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
The MinoltaAF 24-105 / 3.5-4.5 (D)looks interesting and has a little more range, but probably expensive.
Well.... old school has it that the greater the difference between wide and long, the more compromises a manufacturer must make that impact quality.

Of course, there are exceptions, and lens designs are getting pretty good anymore.

I haven't seen any MTF tests for the 24-105. But, the 28-105mm isn't the best (judging from the charts, which never tell the entire story). It doesn't sharpen up a lot at 28 and 40mm when stopped down (although, it's probably OK for most uses). At 105mm, it looks like it's losing a lot of sharpness though (tests a bit soft there).

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/minolta.shtml

The 24-105mm may (or may not) be a better lens design though. Looking at the user performance surveys at http://www.photozone.de , users rate the 24-105mm as only OK wide open on it's wide and long end, and good stopped down on both ends.

In comparision, the 24-85mm is rated by users as good on it's wide end and long end shooting with the aperture wide open, and very good stopped down on it's wide end.