Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:32 PM   #1
Administrator

Here are a few snapshots from yesterday morning taken with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D using what's rapidly becoming my favorite "walk around" lens, the Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5

Color and Contrast from this lens are good, and I find it's focal range to be very usable (angle of view is equiivalent to about 36-127mm on a 35mm camera). You can find one for not much over $100 on the used market.

This is down on the Ogeegee River near Guyton, Georgia

These are all straight from the camera jpeg images with no post processing except for downsizing with Irfanview.

Camera settings for Saturation and Sharpening at Normal. Contrast reduced to -1. Shot with ISO speed set to HI200 (Hi Key Zone Matching) to help protect the highlights (at the expense of a bit of shadow detail). EXIF in images.

This is Tim, my brother-in-law's neighbor. We (my brother-in-law, Tim and I) go fishing from time to time on Sunday Mornings.

These next two are with the aperture wide open at f/4.5

75mm f/4.5

85mm f/4.5

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:54 PM   #2

I like these shots, it really makes me think twice about spending $300 on that 28-75 f2.8 D lens. I do really use the short end a lot and 28*1.5 is just a bit too long for my taste. This lens compares nicely, yet f2.8 is handy indoors.

Maybe I should consider both, but the redundance would mean that only one would ever go with me.

either way, nice shots though the prevalence of green doesn't really show off its color rendition. :G

P.S. When you said Georgia, I just knew there would be camo and a pro bass ballcap.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:02 PM   #3

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I like these shots, it really makes me think twice about spending $300 on that 28-75 f2.8 D lens. I do really use the short end a lot and 28*1.5 is just a bit too long for my taste. This lens compares nicely, yet f2.8 is handy indoors.

Maybe I should consider both, but the redundance would mean that only one would ever go with me.

either way, nice shots though the prevalence of green doesn't really show off its color rendition. :G

P.S. When you said Georgia, I just knew there would be camo and a pro bass ballcap.
One can never have too many lenses
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:03 PM   #4

Where's the fish pictures?
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:08 PM   #5
Administrator

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
Where's the fish pictures?
Fish? You don't think we actually go to catch any fish, do you? :-)

Actually, it was a bad day yesterday. Nothing but a Catfish (Tim caught one).

Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:11 PM   #6

One's a lot better then none. Better luck next time. Buy the way, nice shot's
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:01 PM   #7

Jim, based upon your continued bragging on this lens, I bought one. It just arrived today, so I haven't had a chance to use it, but it does focus fast.

I thought I posted a thread on it, but I guess I didn't hit the sendbutton. KEH came through again.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:12 PM   #8

cope wrote:
Quote:
Jim, based upon your continued bragging on this lens, I bought one. It just arrived today, so I haven't had a chance to use it, but it does focus fast.

I thought I posted a thread on it, but I guess I didn't hit the sendbutton. KEH came through again.
Everytime I find something I like from them it's high priced. What kind of shape is it in compared to their rating? I hear they rate very conservative.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:47 PM   #9
Administrator

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
... the prevalence of green doesn't really show off its color rendition.
Awww... I like green. ;-)

OK -- How about some yellow, blue, and purple mixed in from a kids' party a couple of weekends ago?

Straight from the camera JPEGs except for downsizing. EXIF in images.

One of my niece from the same party:

And Another:

More kids at the same party:

And one more. I used a Sunpak 333 Auto for very light fill with this one.

Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:56 PM   #10
Administrator

cope wrote:
Quote:
Jim, based upon your continued bragging on this lens, I bought one
I didn't realize I was bragging about it. Although, I've mentioned using it a time or two. :-)

I'm sure there are better zooms around. But, IMO, for around $100 on the used market, it's a pretty good walk around lens for the money.