Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:26 PM   #11

i have liked doing the longer exposures of this nature on coastal images for the effect you get with the water etc. I know NR was turned on. I am not sure if i should be getting it looked at by a service centre or not at this stage. I dont want to if i dont have to but i do not like this amount of noise in these images.

Cheers

Chris
chrisg_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:36 PM   #12
Administrator

That's not a particularly long exposure, as long exposures go. Here is a 30 second exposure from the sample images in the 5D review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/PICT0431.JPG

So, something else is probably going wrong (pushing it too much, or instead of noise we're seeing light reflecting off of moving ocean foam, etc.).

It shouldn't be noise unless it's way underexposed with a 6 second exposure at ISO 200.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:38 PM   #13

Thanx for the replies Jim. I appreciate it.

What would you suggest i could do to further investigate this issue ??? in order to determine if there is something wrong with my camera ??

cheers

chris
Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:41 PM   #14
Administrator

I'd try exposing it a bit brighter and try it with and without noise reduction turned on and see what you get.

I'd try it at a few different shutter speeds, too.

What appears to be noise in the 100% crop also matches the sky colors I see in the downsized photo of the entire scene.

So, I'm wondering if we're just seeing some kind of odd phenomena from light reflecting over 6 seconds.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:47 PM   #15

Ok then ill keep trying some different things like you said of the same scene next time im out. When you look at the long exposure example you gave in your post its obvious that the camera is more than capable of taking these pics that i am after so hopefully it is an easy fix , or at worst something is wrong with my actual body and i have to send it in for repair ???? ( hopefully not)

Cheers

Chris