Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:17 PM   #1

This may not get far, because there really isnt any hard info out there yet. I'm hoping that maybe some of you are familiar with these brands/lenses and can offer some insight on what may be worth waiting for. For instance, I have no idea what segment the Sony Carl-Zeiss lens targets, or if tokina is generally regarded as good.

To give an idea what I'm looking for, I want to get a bright f/2.8 standard zoom that covers 18-50 or wider. Must be 18mm, I would like a bit more maybe. I want a very good quality lens, fewest compromises possible without going to primes (or spending $1000+). When (if?) I buy this lens, I want to be done with it for good. If I had a canon body, I'd probably be looking at L glass (price aside).

So, these seem to be the contenders:
-Sigma AF 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Aspherical IF (Availible)
-Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical IF (Shipping soon)
-Tokina AF 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (fall 2006)
-Sony Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T 16-80 f/3.5-4.5 (fall 2006)

Ok, so I like the range of the tokina. I could get a sigma any time. Tamron is coming very soon, a good compromise. I havent seen anything official about the tokina, but there is at least one review out there on the tamron already (in canon mount). I'm asking for generalizations and speculation, just horrid I know, but how do you guys think these might compare? Are they all on the same playing field, at least? (A year from now we'll know how they actually compare, but I'll probably have one by then).
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:25 PM   #2
Administrator

That CZ 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 doesn't fit your criteria (f/2.8 ).

If you're going to add it to the list, you may as well look at zooms like the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:11 PM   #3

Good point, I would be plenty happy with f3.5-4.5 90% of the time.... but thats not what I'm after here. I sure wish I knew more about the tokina.

Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:12 PM   #4

I'll be looking very hard at that Tokina when it ships. Their pro grade lenses can be very sharp. Also I want the faster aperture, I am tired of compromising on this.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:16 AM   #5

Hi, unfortunately Tokina are not making the 16-50mm f2.8 in Minolta mount. I emailed them asto an e.t.aand this was their reply.

Tokina has put all plans for Minolta lenses on hold due to the
Sony/Minolta merger.

Glenn Nash
Technical Service Representative
THK Photo Products

I am ordering the 17-50mm for US$417 from matsuiyastore on ebay.
Stebsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:42 AM   #6

Guess thats why the tokina 12-24 isnt availible to us. Oh well, I think I've given up on zooms for the time being.

That tamron is availible for a few bucks more from B&H. In my expirience, its worth the $20 or so difference as a great insurance policy. Returns/exchanges could get hairy with super-bargain dealers and shipping costs could eat up the price difference (not to mention other possible headaches)