Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:29 PM   #1

I don't see much talk about the Ritek cards here.... Probably a bad thing.

Newegg has 2G cards for $45.

Might be just the thing for us who don't shoot in continuous advance mode often.
schmoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:51 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, looking at the card speeds in the database at dyxum, it looks like a Sandisk Extreme III is around 10 times as fast as a Ritek 52x 1GB Pro Card in a KM 5D:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp?cam=5D

Even a standard speed Sandisk 512MB card tested almost 7 times as fast.

That's the only Ritek I found tested in a KM DSLR. But, they look to be pretty slow cards in KM DSLR models judging by that one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 4:03 PM   #3

You get what you pay for. Is it really every more complicated than that?
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 4:22 PM   #4

Deals can be found...
I didn't see the 80x card on dyxum, so I thought I would throw up a post here about them.
schmoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 4:42 PM   #5
Administrator

You never know how well one will work without testing it.

It looks like they've got CompactFlash cards they're calling 52x, 80x and 150x. So, one may work better than another (or not).

The Ritek 150x 2GB CF card is only $8.50 more than the Ritek 80x card at newegg (the 150x is selling for $52.99).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820183019

But, if I were shooting sports (or any event where I may be concerned about filling the buffer, especially if shooting in raw), I'd want someone else to test one first. ;-)

The KM DSLR models are a bit "finnicky" on CompactFlash compatibility. So, you can't really go by rated speed, even if a card is fast in another camera model.

Sometimes the standard speed cards will test much faster in a KM DSLR model compared to what's supposed to be a much higher speed card (for example, the Kingston standard cards are much faster than the Kingston Pro series cards in KM DSLR models from reports I've seen).

Old Jun 14, 2006, 4:57 PM   #6
Administrator

It looks like Newegg also has the Transcend 120x 2GB CF Cards for $46.99 (only $2.50 more than the Ritek 80x Cards).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208048

Someone has tested a Transcend 120x 2GB Card in a KM DSLR, and it appears to be a reasonably fast card (although not as fast as the Sandisk Ultra II or Extreme III)

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp?cam=5D

For an extra $2.50 compared to the Ritek 80x, I think I'd go with the Transcend 120x card (since someone has found it to work OK in a KM DSLR).

Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:57 PM   #7

For a long time Ritek was making great DVDR media, but that has unfortunately lapsed. I burned only Ritek DVD's for ~3 years but late last year they turned to junk. This is really all I know about Ritek as a company.

I resist buying CF media from anyone except Sandisk. When images are important, so then is total compatibility. ~$120 for a 2gb Sandisk III is not a rediculous price. It can hold over 600 fine grade 6mpjpegs and a respectable 130ish RAW+jpeg. Even if you only used it once, it would be cheaper than film.

I don't have an issue if someone is looking for a deal. Perhaps it is good media. I just don't want to find out that it isn't when I'm at the bottom of the Grand Canyon or at a once in a lifetime event. I can't even begin to tell you how many shots I would have given $70 to get a second crack at. That's how I look at it.

If bottom line $ is the issue (it has been for almost everyone here at times) I'd just get a smaller capacity card as opposed to a lesser quality card.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:17 PM   #8
Administrator

I've tested a variety of cards in my 5D with no problems (mostly older cards).

But, even a 4X (4x not 40x) Lexar I've got tests faster than many of the newer cards that are supposed to be many times faster, based on user reported times (it's much faster than a Kingston Elite Pro, Ritek 52x, TwinMOs 140x, Fuji 80x and 100x, and more). ;-)

My 4X Lexar will turn in times almost identical to the Transcend 120x CF Cards that users submitted reports on (Lexar probably underrated their 4X cards, using the same components as newer and faster cards, with better compatibility with KM models).

Compatibility can be a problem. I just don't trust most of these "off brand" cards to be very compatible.

I'd probably avoid the Ritek cards, as well as most "off brand" cards, unless someone else has tested them first in a KM DSLR.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:02 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I've tested a variety of cards in my 5D with no problems (mostly older cards).

But, even a 4X (4x not 40x) Lexar I've got tests faster than many of the newer cards that are supposed to be many times faster, based on user reported times (it's much faster than a Kingston Elite Pro, Ritek 52x, TwinMOs 140x, Fuji 80x and 100x, and more). ;-)

My 4X Lexar will turn in times almost identical to the Transcend 120x CF Cards that users submitted reports on (Lexar probably underrated their 4X cards, using the same components as newer and faster cards, with better compatibility with KM models).

Compatibility can be a problem. I just don't trust most of these "off brand" cards to be very compatible.

I'd probably avoid the Ritek cards, as well as most "off brand" cards, unless someone else has tested them first in a KM DSLR.
Just received my Transcend 120X 2GB card and compared it to my Extreme IIIin both the 5D and 7D. I don't have a stop watch so I just set the cameras in continuous mode and held the button for 15 seconds. Since the 7D has a larger buffer, it doesn't seem to matter as much, since it can snap a few more shots at a higher rate of speed until the buffer is full. Note I personnaly do not need to take that many consecutive shots for the type of photgraphy I do and the large buffer of the 7D will exceed my needs except in an extreme case.

Results taking into account camera buffer.

Number of shots 15 seconds5D 7D

Transcend120 8 13

Extreme III1316

I then tried timing the number of shots in 10 seconds after a full buffer so I could get a closer feel for the write speed.

Number of shots 10 seconds5D 7D

Transcend1205 5

Extreme III10 7

Based my my results it seems like the Extreme III is much better in the 5D since it is apx. twice as fast and the buffer of the 5D is small. Only a difference of 3 shots on the 7D and when you take into account the amount of shot the 7D can buffer before it bogs down not such a big deal.From my test it also seems that the faster write speed of the 5D doesn't have a noticeable advantage over the 7D with the Transcend since both only captured 5 shots in 10 seconds.In any event the Transcend is a good deal unless you have a professional need and if you use it in the 7D even using it professionaly might not make a difference unless you need a lot of consecutive high speed shots.

I paid 39 dollars at Outpost.com for the Transcend as opposed to apx 100 dollars for the Extreme III. I would certainly buy another one and probably will before going on a cruise in a couple of months. I do plan on gettinganother means of storage instead of my laptop since it doesn't have a huge hardrive, but having one or two of the Transcends helps. I have not really reserched the best method of backup with a PC and I amopen to suggestions.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote