Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 18, 2006, 4:42 PM   #1

Basically I would like a 5600hs minolta flash but as you all know they are rather hard to come by.... So my question would be has anyone considered Sony's new version, the HVL-F56AM flash(found atwww.sonystyle.com)Other then the confusing name, the price tag of $450, and a few things like the maximum guide number of 56(not 100 like the 5600hs) it seems to be about the same.

Any thoughts if this would be a good flash for my 5d? Or if it's even compatible?(i don't see and minolta cameras in their list of compatible cameras...)

cheers,

~russ

Ps: just as a note this would be for general shooting but mostly for shooting indoors with 10-20mm Sigma, everything from small rooms to large ballrooms and coastal caves.

rhowe7op is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:11 PM   #2

Look at Metz for the best alternative(some think it's better than the 5600HS.

It's $350 after rebate at B&H but they are out of stock. Better specs than the 5600.

Metz 54MZ-4 TTL Shoe Mount Flash (Guide No. 177'/54 m at 105mm) for Minolta Maxxum

Mfr# MZ54243M • B&H# ME54MZ4MAF
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:55 AM   #3

But does the Metz allow for wireless flash, AF-assist, etc.? Or can you only get those with the 5600HS (and, hopefully, the upcoming Sony equivalent)?

RavenFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:44 AM   #4

RavenFalls wrote:
But does the Metz allow for wireless flash, AF-assist, etc.? Or can you only get those with the 5600HS (and, hopefully, the upcoming Sony equivalent)?

From what I've read,

Wireless flash - yes
AF-assist - yes

though I don't have one, so have no first-hand experience using it.

fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:59 AM   #5
NHL

The wireless flash on the Metz only work with Metz's own unit(s)...
(It's RF whereas the Minolta is IR...)

-> The Sigma EF-500DG Super works with the Minolta system as well: http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/flash/comp_500dg_sup.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:42 AM   #6
Administrator

The Metz can be used as a wireless slave (you can trigger it with the built in flash). But, it can't be used as a wireless controller for other KM strobes.

I'd probably avoid the Sigma. A number of KM DSLR owners were not able to get acceptable results from this strobe, even after trying more than one (and some users even sent theirs back to Sigma, more than once).

rduve had this problem (tried two different Sigma EF-500DG Super units with a KM 5D, and even sent one back to Sigma). It wouldn't expose correctly, even after Sigma tried to get it working. The vendor was good enough to take it back and refund the money. Here is a long thread on it:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=84&page=1

I see the same type of complaints repeated on other forums, too.

From time to time, you do find someone that gets a Sigma working though (within a stop, depending on whether or not you bounce one, and they're able to compensate for it).. Apparently, they have a newer one that has a different finish on it that supposedly works a little better (although I personally wouldn't risk it).

I know of one user that says his is working OK after sending it back to Sigma twice (they managed to get it close after the second try).

If you've got a 7D versus a 5D, you've got a better chance of getting one to expose correctly (or rather, within a stop or so) from what I've seen users report. But, I personally wouldn't risk buying one for either camera. I'll use a cheap Auto Thyristor Flash via an FS-1100 adapter instead, and live without the HSS and wireless until I have the need for something like a Metz 54MZ series strobe.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:38 AM   #7
NHL

FYI - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18407195

The Sigma like the Metz's work as a 'dumb' wireless slave too with its built-in photosensor
-> I'm refering to the fully wireless automatic mode

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:14 PM   #8

rhowe7op wrote:
Quote:
Basically I would like a 5600hs minolta flash but as you all know they are rather hard to come by.... So my question would be has anyone considered Sony's new version, the HVL-F56AM flash(found athttp://www.sonystyle.com)Other then the confusing name, the price tag of $450, and a few things like the maximum guide number of 56(not 100 like the 5600hs) it seems to be about the same.

Any thoughts if this would be a good flash for my 5d? Or if it's even compatible?(i don't see and minolta cameras in their list of compatible cameras...)

cheers,

~russ

Ps: just as a note this would be for general shooting but mostly for shooting indoors with 10-20mm Sigma, everything from small rooms to large ballrooms and coastal caves.

The Sony HVL-F56AM appears to beidentical to the 5600HS, just relabeled. Its Guide Number of 56 is measured in meters, not feet,and is the same as the 5600's GN of 184, measured in feet. In case anyone is not clear about the definition of GN. Itmeasures the maximum power of the flash. The formula is "ft (or meters)timesaperture = GN. Therefore either one of the above flashes can illuminate as far as 92 ft (or 28 meters) at f2.0 and ISO 100), half the distance at f4.0, etc.

I hope that explains it. By the way, guess where the names 3600 and 5600 came from: The 3600HS has a GN of 36, the 5600HS a GN of 56, both based on the metric system. Get it? So, rather than chasing after the quickly disappearing and outrageously expensive Minolta 5600HS, one might as well get the same flash with the Sony brand fora little less. I just wish it would be sold for the same $299 for which you were able to get the 5600 only a few months ago.

I'll stick with my Sunpak 433D for now and do without the wireless function.

Rainer

http://euromaninla/zoto.com/galleries

Rainer

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote