Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:32 AM   #11

Icame acrossa KM 5D that was purchased in Nov 2005, and recently stoped working. The camera turns on and functions as normal: auto focus, all modes, full menu function, and photo review, but it just does not snap a photo, and makes a ticking noise for about 20 seconds when is first turned on. Supposedly the camera was never dropped and is in super mint condition.

It is still under warranty, he bought it from ritz, they couldn't fix it but he never sent it in. He is selling it for $100, and will incluce his original receipt of $899, and the blank warranty card. The camera was never registered.

By reading the comments on here about recieving a new A100 in exchange for a faulty 5D, I'm thinking that this sounds too good to be true. Would you guys jump on this? Or pass up the hassle of buying and sending it off in the hopes of recieving either the full refund or a new A100?
kuulaaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:38 AM   #12

kuulaaid wrote:
Quote:
Icame acrossa KM 5D that was purchased in Nov 2005, and recently stoped working. The camera turns on and functions as normal: auto focus, all modes, full menu function, and photo review, but it just does not snap a photo, and makes a ticking noise for about 20 seconds when is first turned on. Supposedly the camera was never dropped and is in super mint condition.

It is still under warranty, he bought it from ritz, they couldn't fix it but he never sent it in. He is selling it for $100, and will incluce his original receipt of $899, and the blank warranty card. The camera was never registered.

By reading the comments on here about recieving a new A100 in exchange for a faulty 5D, I'm thinking that this sounds too good to be true. Would you guys jump on this? Or pass up the hassle of buying and sending it off in the hopes of recieving either the full refund or a new A100?
Who's name is on the receipt? Some manufacturer's only warranty to the original purchaser. Of course there are ways around that. What is puzzling me, is why would anyone who has a camera that is under warranty not send it in to get it fixed if possible instead of selling it for 100 bucks?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:41 AM   #13

That is also what puzzles me and why I hesitate. My other concern is if the cam got wet or some other type of incident that voids the warranty and is just not saying.

He said he had to a photo shoot and needed a camera, so he already bought a new one, and just doesn't want to mess around with sending it off. I'm a skeptic at heart, but the thought of possibly getting a A100 for $100 bucks has me higly curious.
kuulaaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:34 PM   #14
RJR

kuulaaid wrote:
Quote:

It sounds like the exact same symptoms and the same problem my son has with his 7D and according to another forum a number of other people have had also. It is a failure of the anti shake system and that system has to be replaced. According to the people who sent it in and had it fixed it worked fine when they got it back. My sons is in for repairs but he has no info yet as to when he will see the camera again. Another symptom is the buffer number shows as zero in the viewfinder where it would normally say 8 or so.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:29 AM   #15

Steve,

Thanks for stepping in - it WAS getting out of hand !

John
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:35 AM   #16
Administrator

bernabeu

I removed some posts in this thread yesterday, and sent someone a warning if that's what you're referring to.

If you see something like that, just send one of the moderators a PM. We don't read all of the threads (too many posts, too little time).

We don't want to see it (in this case, someone suggesting illegal activity), anymore than you do.

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:16 PM   #17
RJR

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
From the conversation, it sounds like Sony is going to buy back broken/faulty Konica-Minolta merchandise purchased within the last 7 years. Mine was still under warranty, which is probably why I'm getting full purchase price.

Just make sure you still have a copy of your original sales receipt.

Maybe my 7D will give over some parts so someone else doesn't have to go through this bull. I just hope the Alpha meets (or exceeds) the image quality of my 7D.

If this is true that is good news. I was thinking of selling my 7D while it was still in perfect working order. I already have sold my 5D. I believe this may be because of their takeover or buyout of Konica Minolta's camera operation, they are now obligated by the laws that mandate that manufacturers must maintain a certain level of repair parts for I believe 7 years. Sony probably feels it is less costly to buy back equipment than to try to manufacturer all the repair parts needed to maintain the repair parts mandate they have assumed.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:31 PM   #18

Another twist in my saga.... Now Sony is saying they will buyback the 5D (as originally stated) at a pro-rated amount, which for me is full retail since it is under warranty. I really thought that them giving me a replacement was too good of a deal to believe. Ends up, it is!

I have the number for Sony for a last ditch effort to talk them. UGH!!!
karlindy is offline   Reply With Quote