Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:42 PM   #1

Back in March the menu button on my 5D quit working. Send it in for warranty work and after 8 weeks, they tell me the part is backordered. Today I get a call saying that they can't fix it and they are going to buy the camera back! anyone else have this experience? They (Roberts Camera in Indianapolis) received a list of serial numbers they (Sony?) were buying back and mine was one of them. I think they should just send me the new Sony SLR since a 5D is next to impossible to find now!! My options are very limited unless I want to start overwith lenses and the cost of the new Sony looks to be a couple hundred more than a 5D. Suggestions?

Has anyone else had an unrepairable KM camera?
karlindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:09 PM   #2

karlindy wrote:
Quote:
Back in March the menu button on my 5D quit working. Send it in for warranty work and after 8 weeks, they tell me the part is backordered. Today I get a call saying that they can't fix it and they are going to buy the camera back! anyone else have this experience? They (Roberts Camera in Indianapolis) received a list of serial numbers they (Sony?) were buying back and mine was one of them. I think they should just send me the new Sony SLR since a 5D is next to impossible to find now!! My options are very limited unless I want to start overwith lenses and the cost of the new Sony looks to be a couple hundred more than a 5D. Suggestions?

I doubt they will give you an Alpha,and I think you realize that. If they give you back what you paid, you might be able to find a 5D around. Check Circuit City, but they are scarse. Walmart has the 7D for 699 with the kit lens. Of course it is a liitle bigger and heavier, but you might like all the extra external controls.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4898002

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:15 PM   #3
Administrator

I'd argue with them on either repairing it, or replacing it with another DSLR (unless the buy back offer will get you another camera that you like).

I don't know if it will do any good or not, but I'd argue for the new Sony Alpha 100 (a.k.a., DSLR-A100) if they won't' replace it with a KM DSLR and the buy back isn't good enough (although, you can find a 7D now for around $699, including a kit lens if the buy back offer is that good).

If not, escalate to a Supervisor.

They should have some reconditioned 5D or 7D models around if nothing else if they don't want to wait on parts.

Here is an example of where they've agreed to replace a KM model with a newer Sony model:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=20&page=2

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:12 PM   #4
Administrator

How much are they offering you?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 7:51 AM   #5

I don't have a concrete number. I assume the purchase price which was 649 for just the body. I have not agreed to the buyback yet, I want to know my options. Looks like I can still find a 5D on-line and buy it for less than I originally paid or go with a 7D for just a little more.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep you posted.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 5:36 PM   #6

karlindy wrote:
Quote:
Yep. I had a broken Minolta lens (17-35mm 3.5 G). I sent to Sony's repair facility right after the KM transfer. They had it two months. I got the same replies "parts were backordered". Finally they offered to buy the lens for what I paid. Supposedly sent me a check for $1849.00. It's been almost two weeks. I'll let you know when it actually arrives. Wish me good luck.
vision 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:40 PM   #7

Actually, I had a very similar problem. The flash-sync socket on my 7D came out of the camera (yes, the nut twisted loose and the terminal physically fell out of the camera - the wire leads tore and everything.)

I sent it to Precision Camera (as instructed by a KM/Sony representative.) Precision had my camera for 8 weeks before "closing" the issue and referring me to Sony. Precision claimed they couldn't get parts for the camera. Of course, Precision didn't notify me of any of this - I had to dog them like a blood hound on a fox - but I finally wound up talking to a customer service supervisor at Sony.

To make a long story short, I'm getting a full refund on the purchase price of my 7D. It really surprised me that they didn't want to haggle about price - or prorate the equipment. All I had to do was fax the lady at Sony my original sales receipt and she called the same day to verify my refund.

From the conversation, it sounds like Sony is going to buy back broken/faulty Konica-Minolta merchandise purchased within the last 7 years. Mine was still under warranty, which is probably why I'm getting full purchase price.

Just make sure you still have a copy of your original sales receipt.

Maybe my 7D will give over some parts so someone else doesn't have to go through this bull. I just hope the Alpha meets (or exceeds) the image quality of my 7D.
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:31 AM   #8

Update. I am now getting a new Sony Alpha 100 as a replacement instead of them buying back the 5D. Quite the display of customer service! New camera should arrive in 2 -3 weeks.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:35 AM   #9

karlindy wrote:
Quote:
Update. I now getting a new Sony Alpha 100 as a replacement instead of them buying back the 5D. Quite the display of customer service! New camera should arrive in 2 -3 weeks.
Sounds like a deal to me. The 100 looks like a blending of the 5D and 7D. let us know how you like it.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:34 PM   #10

karlindy wrote:
Quote:
Update. I now getting a new Sony Alpha 100 as a replacement instead of them buying back the 5D. Quite the display of customer service! New camera should arrive in 2 -3 weeks.
Sounds like a great deal! I wonder how long they will keep this policy up. There used to be a law on discontinued items that parts had to be available for a certain amount of years, but I don't recall if it applied to electronics. I find it hard to believe there are no parts around. Of course, the ones that are getting fixed we might not be hearing from and all we keep hearing is when they problems.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote