Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1

I only really care about the wide end; I've got 24-400 covered very nicely. All I really need is a decent wide angle. I can't afford any of the $500 lenses so I'm looking for something to tide me over.

These two lenses are my current best choices because I've already got filters for their sizes. (Unlike, for example the 77mm Tokina 19-35) I'm assuming that the Sigma 18-125 is poor at the 18mm end so I'm not even considering it.

So, which of these lenses performs better at 18mm?

Thanks.
Keith Hanlan In Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:02 AM   #2

I've got the 18-50 Sigma DC f3.5-5.6 lens. Much like the KM 18-70, it scores pretty low on the critical review websites but I am pretty happy with my lens. I've seen plenty of people that have the KM 17-70 lens also say that they're happy with their lens. The one thing the KM lens has going for it is consistency. Sigma's lenses tend to have a broader range of quality between examples of the same lens than KM lenses do. (IMO)

I was shopping for this lens primarily on price and a zoom range of under 20 to over 40. I knew I wasn't going to get a masterpiece ( I too am [im]patiently awaiting the cornucopia of quality short, bright zooms due to release this fall) and I found the Sigma for about half of what the KM lens was selling for at the time.

In my opinion, people are generally too hard on these lenses. Almost all of them will make perfectly acceptable results for prints under 8x10 virtually all the time.

Also, I just bought that 28-105 Sigma that Cameta has been selling on Ebay. It's also no prize, except that for $26 delivered I got a new lens with a warranty, IF, and 25mm on the long end as compared to the 28-80. The aperture is a tiny bit brighter and I may well make more than $26 selling my old lens. That''s a pretty sweet dealand a great lens for the kids to use.

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:30 AM   #3

I have the 18-70 kit lens, and while I do want to replace it, it does very well at f/11. Nothing spectacular, but quite acceptable. If it helps any, most of my gallery was shot with it.

The sigma 18-70 f/2.8-4.5 got pretty good reviews but is as almost expensive as the EX 18-50.

I intend to buy the tamron 17-50 f/2.8, but will consider the tokina 16-50 if I can wait long enough. I think they are more than you intend to spend though.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 9:44 AM   #4

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
I intend to buy the tamron 17-50 f/2.8, but will consider the tokina 16-50 if I can wait long enough. I think they are more than you intend to spend though.
I just picked up a brand new 20-40 Tamron for 163.00. I wish it had a little more range at both ends, but the price was right and when you get too much range, you lose something anyway. I've seen them go for more than the price I paid used.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:34 PM   #5

Well, my good fortune seems to know no bounds. A colleague down in the States is sending up his Sigma 18mm to try. The only problem is that the lens hood is missing. I'm going to see what I can fabricate before i leave on my trip. I might be very happy with this lens until I can afford a good quality 12-24 or 10-20.

Thanks for your feedback gentlemen.
Keith Hanlan In Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:39 PM   #6

I always find it curious that some posters here assume that everyone who uses this site is male.

Keith Hanlan In Ottawa wrote:
Quote:

fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:54 PM   #7

fother wrote:
Quote:
I always find it curious that some posters here assume that everyone who uses this site is male.

Quote:

I always find it curious that some people wander into a conversation just to point out that something may have been implied, if you really stretch your imagination, that could possible be slightly offensive to the most hypersensetive sexists.....
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:13 PM   #8

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
I always find it curious that some people wander into a conversation ...
It's an open forum, that's kind of the point.

But I was unclear. I wasn't intending to express offense, I was intending express bemusement / curiosity. The use of the term gentlemen led me to wander what the demographic breakdown of this forum might be.
fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:01 AM   #9

Well when you cut off 'just to' your taking that out of context.

Anyway, I've noticed several female members and likely there are more who dont make it so obvious. Your post sounded like it was coming from the high-n-mighty PC crowd looking for something that could be offensive... glad I was mistaken
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:50 AM   #10

fother wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

You mean women take pictures too?????

A) It could be that the people providing feedback were male
B) It could be that the poster knows the people providing the feedback
C) It could be anything that anyones wants to speculate.

Yes, the world is a funny place these days. One electrician says to the other electrician "What a pair of dikes" referring to the brand new pair of diagonal pliers that he just purchased

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote