Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:11 PM   #11

I also occasionally have this problem (5D, 5600). If I get over exposed I'll just set the ISO and the WB to Auto, orWB toFlash, fixed. I usually shoot in "A" mode. That's with any "D" lens.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:38 PM   #12

I got this from a post at dpr the other day.

This may be old news to many of you, but I just read some threads on Dyxum about flash photography with the 3600. I happen to have both the 3600 and the 5600 so I did some testing.

I used a 50mm f/1.7 in a not well let room and pointed at a bookcase 12 feet away. I used each flash on auto ISO and auto white balance. For each flash, one picture was taken using "P" mode and the second using "A" mode set to f/8. The results:

"P" mode picts: camera choose ISO 400, f/3.5
"A" mode picts: camera choose ISO 400, I choose f/8

In both case (3600 and 5600) the f/8 picts were great and the "P" mode picts were overexposed.

Conclusion: use "A" mode with flash photography and set aperture to f/8 or thereabouts. I even tried f/22 and it was also overexposed a bit.

I also read about using auto ISO v. setting is manually. The theory on Dyxum is that manually is bad and auto ISO (for flash photography) is good. So, I tested again.

Settings: "A" mode, f/8, auto ISO v. ISO set manually at 100,200,400,800,1600,3200

Results: No real difference at any ISO other then more noise the higher the ISOs (go figure ;-)

All the above tests were done using multi-segment metering. So how about metering? I did one set of tests with the 5600 with the metering set to each (multi, spot, and center), f/8, auto ISO.

Results: No major differences, but multi-segment seemed a little better.

These tests are just one subject and with one lens. Your milage may vary. The important tip I'm taking away from these test is that f-stop really matters, even with all the "auto" technology. f/8 is my best friend now, especially in the dark!

--

cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:44 PM   #13

KM 5D, KM 28-75 2.8 D @ 60mm

KM 5600

f/3.2

1/125 A mode

ISO auto (400)

AWB

Some looked slightly under or over exposed but most were similar to this.

Remember to try to keep your flash about the same distance away from your subject as your camera to start. You can play with it from there.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote