Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:26 PM   #1

how do i set my shutter priority settings to make my photos similar to the colors here? everytime i activate my wireless flash, it takes photos too bright . the only similar feel i got was when i zoomed in.

i have a minolta maxxum 5d

joonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:16 PM   #2

Which wireless flash do you use? My guess: The Sigma 500 EF Super (or whatever the exact name is). It does not work with the 5D from my experience.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:57 PM   #3

it's the minolta 5600 program flash
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:01 AM   #4

do you have a comparison shot that shows the bad results?

have you tried setting the white balance for flash?
fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:41 AM   #5

joonphoto wrote:
Quote:
it's the minolta 5600 program flash

In that case, I don't know what to say. When I tried that flash it exposed right on.

That's a great shot, by the way. Very expressive. I wonder where her hand is heading.

Rainer

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:31 AM   #6

joonphoto wrote:
Quote:

how do i set my shutter priority settings to make my photos similar to the colors here? everytime i activate my wireless flash, it takes photos too bright . the only similar feel i got was when i zoomed in.

i have a minolta maxxum 5d
Are you bouncing the flash off the ceiling or are you aiming directlty at the subject? My exposures come out pretty good with the 5600 and my 7D. I have the white balance set on auto. Try setting the exposure compensation on the camera. I'm not familiar how it's done on the 5D, but the 7D has a dial.

I notice you say it happens every time you activate your wireless flash. Does it act differently when you have the flash mounted on the camera or are you just calling it a wireless flash because that's the way you are using it?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:14 AM   #7

Remember to put the 5600 on the shoe and set the camera for wireless. The camera will automatically set the flash for wireless mode.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:52 AM   #8

You can set the flash compensation by up to -2 or the exposure to -2 (or both if you want to dim it even more). If you go with automatic, the camera will give you few options as to shutter speed with the flash enabled. The nice thing about setting the flash compensation is that it only changes flash photos, so exposure is not effected when the flash is not in use.

I notice that flash saturation is a subjective thing, what many people consider "perfect" I would call a bit overexposed and they would consider my ideal a bit underexposed. Skin tones look better to me when the flash is toned down a notch.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:52 AM   #9

this is a photo i've taken, to me it also seems a bit out of focus. i noticed that the 5d has an auto focus that hesitates, even when i'm in range. should i try using my wide angle lens?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:28 AM   #10

If you're doing a lot of flash photography, it could be the lens you're using in low light. A faster aperture lens will make a big difference in low light focus- less hunting. Alternatively you could manual focus, but the 5d's viewfinder is not optimized for manual focus. (I think there are focus screens available though) I would try using the fastest lens (lowest 'f' # )you own for most low light shots, even if you will need to crop later or zoom with your feet.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote