Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:27 PM   #1

I am enjoying my "new" old Minolta 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 I purchased last week.* As anything, it would be nice to have more!* Is a 1.4x teleconverter worth using to increase the focal lenght?* A 2x would be nice, but from my research, I would loose AF.* Your thoughts.* Thanks.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:29 PM   #2

I found a bargain on a Tamron 1.4X in EX condition with front and rear caps and case for $29 at KEH. Last I looked they had a new one for $99. The link below tells all you need to know about T/C.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...=teleconverter
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:54 AM   #3

I already had that link bookmarked; great info. I was wondering from actually user's results if the smaller aperature is a major negative and if the increase in focal length is that noticeable?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:09 AM   #4

With the 2x, you'd go all the way down to f9 at the long end. I'm fairly certain you would lose autofocus there, though I have no lens that dim to test it out. A 1.4 TC would only knock you down to f6.3, where you should be able to AF in decent light.

At the long end with a 1.4 TC, you'd go from 210 to 296mm, you'd definately notice that. You could look to a 70-210 f2.8 lens if getting to 400mm with a TC is necessary (f5.6 is AF capable)
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:05 AM   #5

The teleconverter reference guide says that only "Generic" converters work. I just ordered a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x converter for use with the 70-210 F3.5/4.5 lens (I had not seen the guide but had been promised by the mfg. that it would work) and I can confirm that it will NOT mount on this lens.
--
Jeff
Jeffery Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:06 PM   #6

I was looking at a Tamron 1.4x AF, wonder if anyone has used this converter successfully on a 70-210 f3.5-4.5?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:23 PM   #7

I played with it on my 70-210, and it works. I also have tried it on my Tamron 28-300 and got AF at 6.3 with good light.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:17 PM   #8

cope wrote:
Quote:
I found a bargain on a Tamron 1.4X in EX condition with front and rear caps and case for $29 at KEH. Last I looked they had a new one for $99. The link below tells all you need to know about T/C.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...=teleconverter
I got one at KEH for 27 with no caps being shipped out tomorrow.

I missed out on a great deal on an RC-1000 remote. They had one with the long cord for 29 and a short for 27. I hesitated becasue I was trying to save on shipping and was going to order other stuff. The next daythe long corded model was gone. I hesitated on the the short and now that's gone. They sell on EBay for 50 bucks and up.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:58 PM   #9

On the RC 1000 cord, your local camera shop should have some. Mine had the short one used for $10 and the long one for $15. (of course I got both)

I don't understand how ANY Minolta, KM or aftermarket "A" mount lens would not mount to any teleconverter designed for use on Minolta AF cameras. (unless you used the one that converts to MC/MD) There is no physical difference in the mount system since 1984.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:31 PM   #10

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
On the RC 1000 cord, your local camera shop should have some. Mine had the short one used for $10 and the long one for $15. (of course I got both)

I don't understand how ANY Minolta, KM or aftermarket "A" mount lens would not mount to any teleconverter designed for use on Minolta AF cameras. (unless you used the one that converts to MC/MD) There is no physical difference in the mount system since 1984.
Damn, you could make a ton of money on Ebay with those prices.Probably is where they are getting them. I'll check locally, but I'm not hopefull. There was a guy making cordless unitsselling buthe is no longer doing that. Makes me wonderif there was some patent issues or maybe the demand wasn't there. I don't understand why they don't makewireless remotes or offer it optional to begin with. I had one on my FZ30 and I have one on my camcorder. Why not on a DSLR?

From what I understand the generic convertors fit all. Why they make some that only fit certain lenses is beyond me. Maybe they are better matched, but generic will do me just fine.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote