Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:11 PM   #11

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

Cybershops on Amazon had the kit lens for around 75 bucks and it just dropped to 64.95. Now Globazar on has itat the lowest price for 56.95. They sell new and remanufactured products, butusually mark the remanufactured products. There are other dealers on Amazon for a little higher also.

The price seems to be dropping on this lens.

I was referring to it's usual price. it is a good deal at $100, and a real deal at $57.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:20 PM   #12
Administrator

2sides wrote:
Quote:
I just got the 7d from Walmart.com for $699 with the 18-70mm lens...Awesome deal!!! Thanks JimC for the tip (on another thread)!
One of the other guys here probably spotted it first. I just pass deals like that on when I see them in some of the "What Camera should I Buy" threads from time to time.

That's a steal for a camera that sold for $100 more than the Canon EOS-20D when it was introduced (and it was running $600 more than the Nikon D70).

It's a super body for the price you got it for.

Congrats!

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:58 AM   #13

as far as his original question which one
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:16 PM   #14
Administrator

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
as far as his original question which one
The original poster got the 18-70mm kit lens with the 7D. So, I'd suggest using that for a while to get a better idea of where it's limiting for the type of shooting needed.

I don't have any of the lenses originally asked about. My normal "walk around" is the Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 (although sometimes, I'll lug around a Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 instead). If I'm shooting in low light, I typically go to primes.

I haven't given into the temptation to buy one of the "all in one" zooms yet. But, some of our forum members have been buying the Tamron 28-300mm XR Autofocus Lens.

Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:51 PM   #15

always wanted an all in one prime lens preferable 18-300 2.8 to fit my 5D is there such an animal what is the closest.

had my heart set on getting the 18-200 km but still waiting to read some reviews on it, searched all over but cant find any reviews
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:58 PM   #16
Administrator

As a general rule, the greater the range from wide to long, the more compromises a manufacturer makes.

So, I tend to avoid the "ultra zoom"/"all in one" type lenses.

However, technology is continuing to improve, and lens design appears to be good enough anymore that these types of lenses offer acceptable quality for most uses.

A very popular lens with KM DSLR owners is the Tamron 28-300mm XR Autofocus Lens. It's available from Cameta (a popular and reputable Ebay Vendor) for around $145 now.

Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:14 PM   #17

that phrase acceptable results is what i am afraid of,

do you knowwhere i can get reviews on the tamron 28-300
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:43 PM   #18
Administrator

See this thread (10 pages of comments about it).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

Most controlled conditions tests I've seen show it to be soft on the long end compared to most lenses.

But, users seem to like it, and often contrast and color is more important. After all, if you frame a shot 20% tighter, it would make up for a lens that's 20% softer, and you can't make up the difference in focal length by going with a sharp and shorter focal length lens and cropping.

Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:26 PM   #19

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
that phrase acceptable results is what i am afraid of,

do you knowwhere i can get reviews on the tamron 28-300
Go here and look for posts by Canadian Club and Jim N AZ. CC uses his 28-300 exclusively for some great shots.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1035
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:37 PM   #20

what about the 18-200 as compared to the 28-300