Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28
Default

Hello...The compelling price for the 7d is leading me in that direction...Any recommendations for a good 'walkabout' lens? It looks like these are my options:

KM 18-125 or 18-200 (dcresource reported this was slow and noisy, any experience?). Will the new Sony versions be just re-branded lenses or will they have improvements?

Sigma 18-125 or 18-200

Tamron 18-200

Any comments with your experiences/opinions would be appreciated.
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 338
Default

Adorama is selling the 7d with a great 28-75 f2.8 lens for $899. If you don't need the extra range in the short end of the lens, this is a remarkable deal.

I have no personal experience with those lenses, but have heard good things about the KM 18-200, keeping in mind it is consumer grade glass.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:24 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38
Default

Out of curiosity, what characteristics divides a lens into consumer grade vs other grades (semi-pro/pro?)
Comp625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:47 PM   #4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Comp625 wrote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what characteristics divides a lens into consumer grade vs other grades (semi-pro/pro?)
Ususally a Pro lens will allow you to shoot at a constant higher aperature, like f2.8. Other things contribute too...like better glass, multi-coatings, metal mounts/gears, weather sealing, etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:54 PM   #5
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Adorama is selling the 7d with a great 28-75 f2.8 lens for $899. If you don't need the extra range in the short end of the lens, this is a remarkable deal.
Not any more. They went back up to $1299.90 (my guess is that they're almost out and decided to get top dollar for remaining stock).

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7DK1.html?...&item_no=1

It's actually less expensive to buy a 7D body and the 28-75mm f/2.8 lens separately from them now (they've still got some of the 28-75mm f/2.8 lenses at $299).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 338
Default

Thanks Jim, I stand corrected. It was an outstanding deal though.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
It's actually less expensive to buy a 7D body and the 28-75mm f/2.8 lens separately from them now (they've still got some of the 28-75mm f/2.8 lenses at $299).
Member Cope bought one for 299 exactly one day before they raised the price on the lens to 349. The 7D for 729 with the lens for 349 is probably still a good value, but not as good as it was. Right now, the Walmart deal with the 18-70 lens for 699 is a homerun. They also have it with a 28-100 lens for I think around 927 but that is not a good deal compared to the 699 package, despite their claim it is a clearance price.

I'm still glad I gotmy 7D with the 28-75lens for 949. It is a shame thatKM dropped out when they did, but I hope Sony brings the KM mount and their already winning technology to its pinnacle without introducingSonys proprietary enhancements and tactics.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:12 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28
Default

I just got the 7d from Walmart.com for $699 with the 18-70mm lens...Awesome deal!!! Thanks JimC for the tip (on another thread)!
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 718
Default

2sides wrote:
Quote:
I just got the 7d from Walmart.com for $699 with the 18-70mm lens...Awesome deal!!! Thanks JimC for the tip (on another thread)!
I think you will enjoy the kit lens if you ignore the naysayers; it reall is quite good considering that it is a $100 lens.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:43 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

cope wrote:
Quote:
2sides wrote:
Quote:
I just got the 7d from Walmart.com for $699 with the 18-70mm lens...Awesome deal!!! Thanks JimC for the tip (on another thread)!
I think you will enjoy the kit lens if you ignore the naysayers; it reall is quite good considering that it is a $100 lens.
Cybershops on Amazon had the kit lens for around 75 bucks and it just dropped to 64.95. Now Globazar on has itat the lowest price for 56.95. They sell new and remanufactured products, butusually mark the remanufactured products. There are other dealers on Amazon for a little higher also.

The price seems to be dropping on this lens.



meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.