Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:19 PM   #1

I am the brand new, hopefully, soon to be proud, owner of a 7D. I have a Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash which I have been using successfully with my Minolta A2 but it doesn't seem to work with the 7D? The zoom function works OK but it appears to fire at full power regardless of my settings and scene? Help anyone? TY
Ordview is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:37 PM   #2

There is a new version with a textured body that is supposed to work. You might contact Sigma. They have updated some of the older version.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:02 PM   #3

My understanding is that unless it is the very latest generation (serial # starting with 7, I believe) it will not work at other than full power. I have same issue as you - my Sigma 500 ( 6xxxxx serial number) will only fire at full power with my 7D.
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:18 PM   #4
Administrator

yendikeno wrote:
Quote:
My understanding is that unless it is the very latest generation (serial # starting with 7, I believe) it will not work at other than full power. I have same issue as you - my Sigma 500 ( 6xxxxx serial number) will only fire at full power with my 7D.
Try it in FP mode. I rarely see a 7D owner that can't get one to work (although it's usually with exposure problems requiring compensation -- for example up to 2 stops over or under, depending on whether or not you're bouncing the flash).

From time to time, you even see someone reporting that they get good exposure (although I sometimes wonder if they've actually tried one at different subject distances and apertures). ;-)

The 5D is a different story (I rarely see anyone that managed to get one working correctly).

Personally, I'd avoid this flash. But, if you already have one and can't return it, I'd make sure you're in FP mode on the flash. That's the only way they work on a 7D without firing at full power from what I've seen reported by others.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:32 PM   #5

Thanks to all for their assistance and observations ..... I will write to Sigma and see what they might be able to do for me. I must confess that I am having a bit of buyers remorse given this issue and now I find the white balance on the 7D is awful for anything but outdoors .... perhaps I should introduce this thread and see if it is a common problem.
Ordview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:40 PM   #6
Administrator

White Balance is difficult for most DSLR models, not just the 7D.

With non-DSLR models, you've got themain sensor (millions of photosites)used for metering and white balance, and most cameras still can't get it "right" in artificial lighting..

With a DSLR, you havemuch smaller sensors used for metering and white balance (because the mirror is blocking the use of the main sensor), making it even more difficult for a camera to gauge the temperature of the lighting.

Your best bet is to use either presets or custom white balance indoors (or even better, shoot in raw so you can adjust it after the fact). Memory Cards are cheap and the 7D has a pretty nice buffer size for shooting in raw. ;-)

Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:45 PM   #7
Administrator

P.S. -- suggested reading for the Buyers Remorse:

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Pontification/ba_Don't_Be_A_Bozo/a_Don't_Be_A_Bozo.html

Old Jul 5, 2006, 2:57 PM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:
yendikeno wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Try it in FP mode. I rarely see a 7D owner that can't get one to work (although it's usually with exposure problems requiring compensation -- for example up to 2 stops over or under, depending on whether or not you're bouncing the flash).

Personally, I'd avoid this flash. But, if you already have one and can't return it, I'd make sure you're in FP mode on the flash. That's the only way they work on a 7D without firing at full power from what I've seen reported by others.
Quote:
Thanks, Jim. Appreciate the info.
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote