Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:01 AM   #1

I saw this 50mm 1.7 lens on EBay and noticed the bid was very low despite the fact it was only a few hours away. Because the seller posted some of the worst pictures I have ever seen on EBay, I asked in a polite way if he had better pictures or could be more descriptive of the actual condition of the lens. I even went out of my way and asked him not to get offended about the pictures but his reply to me was "don't buy it then".

The best part is that he is selling this because he has a Canon EOS system. He must not be good photographer or the camera he used is junk, since I could take better pictures with my cell phone.I certainly hope he is not a member of this forum. I think this is just a guy deliberately trying to be deceptive. His shipping is also higher than it needs to be for a lens. Another telltale sign of a deceptive offering, because the hope is that people don't notice how expensive shipping is while bidding.

I guess he is right and I shouldn't buy it. There is a possibility there is absolutely nothing wrong with this lens and he just wasn't interested in devoting any time to make a decent posting and that's OK. It's just that I feel when a buyer is interested in something and asks for a little more info, the seller should be very forthcoming about providing as much info as possible without the need for getting arrogant or nasty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...S%3A1&rd=1

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:42 AM   #2

I've seen worse pictures, but thats why it only went for $25. No effort at all to comunicate the details of whats being sold... I take the time to take very clear pictures and offer an honest comprehensive description, my auctions usually end at the highest price I've seen for a particular item. I sold a 3000i body with a 70-210 45.-5.6 for $120, about an $40 profit with a free lens for me (I bought the camera for $45 to get the 50mm lens and camera bag it came with, the 70-210 was only $38 . I sold my A1 for the same price I bought it for a year before (used on ebay).

I cant understand people who put up such horrid listings... dosent this guy care that he could have gotten $125 instead of $25?
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:29 AM   #3

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
I've seen worse pictures, but thats why it only went for $25. No effort at all to comunicate the details of whats being sold... I take the time to take very clear pictures and offer an honest comprehensive description, my auctions usually end at the highest price I've seen for a particular item. I sold a 3000i body with a 70-210 45.-5.6 for $120, about an $40 profit with a free lens for me (I bought the camera for $45 to get the 50mm lens and camera bag it came with, the 70-210 was only $38 . I sold my A1 for the same price I bought it for a year before (used on ebay).

I cant understand people who put up such horrid listings... dosent this guy care that he could have gotten $125 instead of $25?
I have never seen that lens go for 125 used, maybe a new one in the box, but than again,maybe you don't mean that literally.I guess he doesn't care about how much he sold it for, but that is his problem. He does make up a little on shipping since it should cost than 10 bucks to ship, but that lens usually goes for at least 60 bucks plus shipping.

The real problem I have is that I asked for addtional information and that he copped an attitude. He could have simply provided a verbal description of the condition. Aresponse like his sends up a flag that he may be hiding something. Especially when item being sold is photography related from someone who takes pictures. Like I stated earlier, this in fact could be a very good lens, but these are the type of sellers to avoid. not Seemsto me that it probably wasn't Ultimatey we can all choose what not to buy and who not to buy it from.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:13 PM   #4

Perhaps those are the best images a Canon EOS can provide? :-)

I'm surprised how many rude or bizarre responses I get from questions to sellers on Ebay. Probably only 50% of my questions are answered in any meaningful fashion.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote