Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:32 AM   #1

I have heard good things about the Sigma 24-135mm and was wondering if anyone here had any experiance with it. It seems like a nice range as a walk-around lens though I guess it depends on where you do your walking. I still want a superwide like the Sigma 10-20 or the Tamron/KM 11-18, and I have a 20-40mm Tamron, which covers the upper wide range, but I still want a walk-around that covers a wide range without going to something likethe 18-70 kit. I'm thinking 24-135 might be kind of nice and I can get a good deal on this Sigma. I realize Tamron has something similiar but it is more money andI have read that the Sigma outperforms the Tamron equivalent. So please provide you comments and suggestions as this money is starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

[align=center]:|[/align]
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:51 AM   #2

Wow... I can't believe no one here has this lens, or if they do, they afraid to admit it.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:14 AM   #3

Sorry you haven't gotten an answer, but there are just too many lenese around for memebers to have all of them. I can tell you that I bought a used Minolta 24-85 after Jim C kept raving about his, and it is a great walk around lens, both in size and picture quality. The 24-135 range should cover most of what you want, but depending upon the weight of the 24-135lens, Tamron's 28-300 for $145 at Cameta Camera may be the best carry lens going.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:29 AM   #4

cope wrote:
Quote:
Sorry you haven't gotten an answer, but there are just too many lenses around for members to have all of them. I can tell you that I bought a used Minolta 24-85 after Jim C kept raving about his, and it is a great walk around lens, both in size and picture quality. The 24-135 range should cover most of what you want, but depending upon the weight of the 24-135lens, Tamron's 28-300 for $145 at Cameta Camera may be the best carry lens going.
I have the 28-300mm. I wanted a little more at the wide end, which I have separately as in a 20-40mm Tamronbut that is suitable for a limited environment. I also now have the 18-70mm kit lens that came with the bargain priced 5D I just acquired as a back up, but I'm not crazy about that lens. It nice in the sense that it is ultralight and goes down to 18mm butthe distortion at the wide is really noticeable. I really don't need any more lenses, but I see some good deals on this Sigma. It seems to be running a little higher than it's Canon and Nikon equivalents, but I think that is the trend for now on KM lenses. I would jump on the Sigma, but they seem to get mixed reviews on a lot of their models. I have only seen a few reviews on the 24-135mm and mostly good stuff. I might end up getting it, but there is no pressure, since lately I don't seem to have a lot of time to take pictures.