Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:47 AM   #1

OK I've been going down to my local circuit city to try to buy their display model. The last time I checked it was 452, but they claimed it had no parts and that it was defective. I thought all or some of itwas just a BS story not to sell it. I went back todaythey raised the price a few dollars to 475.The salesgirlinformed me that all they had was the display, soI asked if they would ever sell the display. She said unfortunately they didn't have the parts for it. I then began to think, since I have a 7D and wanted this as a backup, I have all the parts I need. I told her I didn't need the parts, she checked with the manager. She came back with a price of299.00I figured before they had a chance to change their mind, I said write it up.In the past when I had purchased open box units, I was lucky and had a coupon that discounted open units an additional 10%. This time all I had was a coupon allowing 10 percent off regularly priced items. I knew the coupon didn't apply, but figured I'd ask. She said she would check so I figured she would have to ask the store manager and I was doomed. No she put it in the register and the camera was now down to 269.00 That's right, a 5D with the kit lens for 269.00 She asked me if I wanted the warranty and I started to say no, but since the price on the camera was so low, the two year warranty was only 7.99. I figured for that price I couldn't go wrong and it ended up being less with the 10% coupon. I should have asked if they had a 4 year or even inquired about the accidental damage warranty, but for 269.00 I almost don't care. I have 14 days to return it with no penalty and I can always sell it. I did confirm with her that it was not a defective unit and it wasn't a return before I left. I asked what happened to the parts and she saidwhen cameras are out on displayfor too long, that parts disappear. Thelast clerk I spoke too was full of it. I did check it out when I got home and the date wasn't set, so that's a good sign. Everything seems to work fine and the camera is spotless. Just had to clean the lens and LCD.

I'm missing the USB cable,the video cable, battery, charger, strap and lens cap. No issue onstraps, and lens caps as they are available and I have threebatteries.If I decide to sell it all of the accessories required to make it functional are readily available or at least generically. The only item I don't see isthe video cable. It might be a standard cable, but even if I can find it, I don't think it will matter. Most likely I will keep it unless I find I am not using both and flip it on EBay.

My logic for having two is that it saves me from changing lenses as often and the 5D might go places where the 7D might be a little cumbersome. The onlytough part isgetting use to less external controls, and some different locations for similar functions. So far I am operating the 5D without a hitch. Now I have to go out and buy another memory card, but I was gonna do that anyway. I still can't believe I got a 5D for such a low price. See what happens when lens lust begins to fade, you buy another body. At least I got a lens with it... and hey, this 18-70 doesn't seem so bad.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:10 AM   #2

OMG!!!

Straight to circuit city after work.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:51 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
....a 5D with the kit lens for 269.00
Wow!

I think I'll check at my local Circuit City, too (even though I really don't need another body, that's too good of a deal to pass up). lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:23 PM   #4

good grief meanstreak, that's one sweet deal. i'm pondering picking one up myself ala open box. any pointers on what i should be looking for? i'm super concerned as i've seen the way some customers handle the cameras - taking the lens off, sticking their fingers in there... stuff like that.

i called around after i was inspired by your story. found one at $459 + tax for the kit with 14 day exchange policy and the standard one year manufacturers warranty... that's about a hundred forty cheaper than what i can find new....

there are deals still to be had

Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5

wow, what an amazing deal...

i think i will do some shopping in buffalo next week...i will definitely visit a circuit city!
Ru5tY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:26 PM   #6

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
good grief meanstreak, that's one sweet deal. i'm pondering picking one up myself ala open box. any pointers on what i should be looking for? i'm super concerned as i've seen the way some customers handle the cameras - taking the lens off, sticking their fingers in there... stuff like that.

i called around after i was inspired by your story. found one at $459 + tax for the kit with 14 day exchange policy and the standard one year manufacturers warranty... that's about a hundred forty cheaper than what i can find new....

there are deals still to be had

I started to respond to this late but then my PC hung and I gave up. I was going to reply today, but I see in another thread that you already got a good deal on a brand new KM 5D. Congrats and welcome to the KM Owners's clob.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:32 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
....a 5D with the kit lens for 269.00
Wow!

I think I'll check at my local Circuit City, too (even though I really don't need another body, that's too good of a deal to pass up). lol

Yes it is a deal that is too good to pass up. Bear in mind I got additional off because there were no accessories and I managed to pass off a coupon that shouldn't have been honored. I would imagine, based on past experiance, that had they only discounted it further as an open box deal with all accessories, I would expect to pay between 350 and 400.

Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:42 PM   #8

Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:
wow, what an amazing deal...

i think i will do some shopping in buffalo next week...i will definitely visit a circuit city!
I always manage to do well at Circuit City when it comes to display or open units. I alway check through them when I stop in even if I don't really need something.

I also did really well on a camcorder once at Best Buy that was brand new but being closed out. I goy it for 699 but the story doesn't end there. The price dropped twice within 14 days and I ended up getting the price adjusted to 399. That camcorder was worth it's weight in gold since the replacement models were dumbed down versions with less features.

If you know the going rate for something you can also make a quick profit on EBay buy shopping these 2 stores for closeouts. They are not always the cheapest, but occasionay they have some bargains and don't seem to follow the rest of the retail trends with regard to supply and demand. That camcoder I ended up with for 399 was being sold elsewhere icluding EBay for 700 to 900 dollars. At the time I should have bought two but at 699 I wasn't so sure I could turn much of a profit. At 399 it was a nobrainer but by then it was too late, I couldn't find any close by.

Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:15 PM   #9
RJR

Saw the information on the 5D with the 18-70mm lens and the 75-300mm lens closeouts at CC and had to see if they had anything still available. Ended up getting the 5D with 18-70mm lens and also picked up the 75-300mm D lens for a grand total of 388 bucks. I'm sure glad i happened on this forum earlier today.

Makes a great backup for my 7D and two more lenses to boot, what a deal!:-)
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:43 PM   #10

RJR wrote:
Quote:
Saw the information on the 5D with the 18-70mm lens and the 75-300mm lens closeouts at CC and had to see if they had anything still available. Ended up getting the 5D with 18-70mm lens and also picked up the 75-300mm D lens for a grand total of 388 bucks. I'm sure glad i happened on this forum earlier today.

Makes a great backup for my 7D and two more lenses to boot, what a deal!:-)
That's an incredible deal!

I am always willing to share information on forums that I frequent so that fellow members can take advantage of the deals that are out there that arenot always well publicized. Likewise I appreciate when someone posts a deal that they are aware of.

Having the 5D as a backup is great, but now I have a tough time deciding which camera to take since most of the time I only take one. I find the 5D is great if I'm doing an all Dayer like an amusement park, although I think I might sacrifice image quality and go with a pocket camera as soon as I can pinpoint one that will be a good compromise. The 5D with the 28-300mm Tamron makes a good walk around combo, although that lens does add a bit weight the package than the 18-70mm kit. I find with heavier lenses, the 7D feels more balanced. With heavy lenses the 5D tilts forward unless I support it by the lens. Not unbearable, but definitely notice the difference between the two cameras.