Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 30, 2006, 8:22 PM   #1

So after reading Meanstreak's post, I was pumped to get myself a camera too. I called the local CC and the sales person I talked to said they had just marked their open stock 5D's down to $459... came with full mfg warranty and 14 day return policy. One of the reasons why I hesitated in buying KM is lack of stuff (namely a flash). I called around and founda 3600 brand new in the box for a buck under 2clams. Cool.

Being that the flash was closer to my house than the camera was, I headed down to pick up the flash. I mentioned to the sales guy that I was on my way out to CC to pick the camera up. He asked about the price, I told it to him and mentioned it was open stock. 10 minutes later, I walked out the door with a brand new flash and a brand new, freshly sealed 5D (he priced matched it for me)! I also picked up a one year warranty (not free), but figured it was cheap insurance.

hee hee.... now all I need is a couple CF cards - hope to be picking that up at Comp USA's midnight maddness sale tonight!

Mahalos for all of the great information here in this forum. I mentioned it before in a previous post, but I gotta say it again - Minolta people have class! Respectful, kind to newbies, always willing to give input. Glad I'm able to join the ranks of such good company.

Aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:36 PM   #2

Congrats
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Administrator

Great.. I see from your posting history you were having a tough time deciding between the D50 with a stabilized lens and solution like a KM 5D.

I'm glad you found a deal on a 5D. Those stabilized lenses can get pricey. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:23 PM   #4

Yeah, I had a real tough time deciding between the two. After tinkering around with my camera last night, I know I had made the right choice.

My initial observations:

Focusing is a bit noisy, but nothing to get freaked out about.

The view finder is not as small/crowded as I thought it'd be.

I'm really digging how the lcd turns off by itself when you hold the camera up to your eye.

Menus are super easy to navigate through.

Build quality = super! I had posted before on how the body feels plasticky. Yes, it is plastic, but it feels substantial. Buttons, dials, knobs, all feel nice and solid. The only thing I'd worry about is both the hot shoe and the flash foot are plastic.

Any regrets about going KM instead of Nikon? Nope.

Mahalo~
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:52 PM   #5

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I had a real tough time deciding between the two. After tinkering around with my camera last night, I know I had made the right choice.

My initial observations:

Focusing is a bit noisy, but nothing to get freaked out about.

The view finder is not as small/crowded as I thought it'd be.

I'm really digging how the lcd turns off by itself when you hold the camera up to your eye.

Menus are super easy to navigate through.

Build quality = super! I had posted before on how the body feels plasticky. Yes, it is plastic, but it feels substantial. Buttons, dials, knobs, all feel nice and solid. The only thing I'd worry about is both the hot shoe and the flash foot are plastic.

Any regrets about going KM instead of Nikon? Nope.

Mahalo~
As far as I'm concerned the 5D or 7D is a much better choice than anything out there. Too bad there are not many left, but at least Sony is gonna run with the ball for future KM fans. If I ever buy another DSLR, it will probably bewhatever Sony cranks out in sheeps clothing since I pretty much have all the lenses I need.I can't believe how many lenses I have bought the last two months. I also can't believe how little I paid even for the top notch ones and especially since the market fo KM lenses is a bit high. I think the Alpha is going to take a bite out of theindustry. If it does that means good things in the way of lenses for us.

You next question is what lens should I buy next?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 8:51 PM   #6
Administrator

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
hee hee.... now all I need is a couple CF cards - hope to be picking that up at Comp USA's midnight maddness sale tonight!
If you don't need the largest and fastest cards around, you can get Lexar 1GB 40x CompactFlash cards for $19.99 with free shipping right now from Outpost.com

Make sure to change it from the default 2nd day shipping to Ground Shipping during checkout and you'll see the credit for free shipping.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3790006

The fastest cards in KM DSLR models are the Sandisk Extreme III cards, followed by the Sandisk Ultra II. You can see some user reported times here:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp

Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:35 PM   #7

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

As far as I'm concerned the 5D or 7D is a much better choice than anything out there. Too bad there are not many left, but at least Sony is gonna run with the ball for future KM fans. If I ever buy another DSLR, it will probably bewhatever Sony cranks out in sheeps clothing since I pretty much have all the lenses I need.I can't believe how many lenses I have bought the last two months. I also can't believe how little I paid even for the top notch ones and especially since the market fo KM lenses is a bit high. I think the Alpha is going to take a bite out of theindustry. If it does that means good things in the way of lenses for us.

You next question is what lens should I buy next?
you know, i feel pretty confident about my purchase. it's cool that the 5d/7d's "legacy" will sorta continue under sony's name; but gadzooks! have you seen the prices of sony glass? i freaked out when i googled them this morning.

... i'm pretty sure i already know what my next purchase will be - 50mm f/1.7... sony's got a f/1.4street price is reported to be ten million dollars(actually 349 at amazon) think i'll just cruise keh or ebay for a minolta branded 1.7.

mahalos~

Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:56 PM   #8

There are LOTS of 50/1.7's on ebay at the moment. They seem to be going for $50-130 by themselves, or $30-50 with a camera (yes, really). I put in low bids on a half dozen today with the intent of reselling for profit, most people seem to be searching just for the lens and totally passing up the package deals because thier search is too narrow. Adorama has a few in stock too, but are on the high side of the price range.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:27 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If you don't need the largest and fastest cards around, you can get Lexar 1GB 40x CompactFlash cards for $19.99 with free shipping right now from Outpost.com

Make sure to change it from the default 2nd day shipping to Ground Shipping during checkout and you'll see the credit for free shipping.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3790006

The fastest cards in KM DSLR models are the Sandisk Extreme III cards, followed by the Sandisk Ultra II. You can see some user reported times here:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp
Damn, that's cheap compared to the 2gig extreme IIIs. I know there's a difference, but with the buffer of the 7D at least I can sanp a few before it's bogs down.

Edited: I couldnb't find any for 19.99, theydo have 1GB CF 50X PATRIOT for 25.99
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:18 AM   #10
Administrator

It looks like they ran out right after I posted the link. Someone else noticed that the link still went to the card, but it wouldn't add to the cart. Then, the link quit going to the card altogether.