Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:50 AM   #1

Hi everyone, just joined today... and already got a question. From what I read the new Alpha 100 is just as good as the Canon 30D. Did anyone here had used the alpha 100? Afterabout 5years of using Minolta DiMage 7, which wasn't bad (nor cheap) when I got it, I got a Canon 30D a few days ago. However, yesterday i found out about alpha 100. The IS lenses for Canon are pretty expensive, so here is my dilemma, I can still return my Canon and wait the alpha arrives. Any input would be really appreciated. :?

P.S

and the other thing is that for the price of 30D body ($1699 CDN)i can get alpha 100 with 18-70mm and 75-300 lenses ($1599 CDN)
gostus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:03 PM   #2

gostus79 wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone, just joined today... and already got a question. From what I read the new Alpha 100 is just as good as the Canon 30D. Did anyone here had used the alpha 100? Afterabout 5years of using Minolta DiMage 7, which wasn't bad (nor cheap) when I got it, I got a Canon 30D a few days ago. However, yesterday i found out about alpha 100. The IS lenses for Canon are pretty expensive, so here is my dilemma, I can still return my Canon and wait the alpha arrives. Any input would be really appreciated. :?

P.S

and the other thing is that for the price of 30D body ($1699 CDN)i can get alpha 100 with 18-70mm and 75-300 lenses ($1599 CDN)
I'm afraid in this part of the forum most of the answers are going to be get the Alpha. The only drawback to the Alpha is getting one right away. As long as you don't have a professional need, I would wait. I'm sure the 30D is a great camera, but just from the perspective that the Sony has Megapixels, In-bodyimage stabilization, and anti-dust, I would buy it. The Mega-pixel difference isn't a big deal but the other two features are hard to overlook. The in-body stabilization makes it a better choice since it will save you much money on lenses as opposed to buying stabilization in each lens. Putting those features aside, both cameras take great pictures.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:36 AM   #3
NHL

gostus79 wrote:
Quote:
Afterabout 5years of using Minolta DiMage 7, which wasn't bad (nor cheap) when I got it, I got a Canon 30D a few days ago. However, yesterday i found out about alpha 100. The IS lenses for Canon are pretty expensive, so here is my dilemma, I can still return my Canon and wait the alpha arrives. Any input would be really appreciated. :?
Hey - I got the original Dimage 7 as well (a good IR camera too...)
I went on to the A2 and still have my Minolta 9xi film camera (and extensive A-mount lenses) so I'm still waiting to jump right back in :lol: :-) :G

-> IMO the Alpha 100 is not a direct comparison to the 30D (That camera has yet to come...) The 30D has a much faster frame rate and ISO capabilty so it's still superior in theses areas if you need theses features

The Alpha 100 is really after the D50/D70, Rebel, and the Pentax market segment where it is clearly superior here features for features. So if uou're really not into speed and try to compose every shots (like me), or never go into 3200 ISO (I need light to have a wall hanger of a picture...) then the Alpha 100 may be your camera - If not keep the 30D and wait for Sony next hit... They have the mind of Minolta behind them now - Just look at all the first that this company had achieved (yes even the very 1st dSLR or interchangeable APS-c 'digital' lenses)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:39 PM   #4

Well I decided to stick to the 30D, lenses are pretty expensive, yet i think they are worth it, thanks for all the input on that.
gostus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:48 PM   #5

I got a 7D due to the Alpha not having the controls available that I use for studio work. Plus all my lenses are IR...even my 50mm/f1.7. Can't do that with a Canon...
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:07 PM   #6

Did you mean IS?:?

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
I got a 7D due to the Alpha not having the controls available that I use for studio work. Plus all my lenses are IR...even my 50mm/f1.7. Can't do that with a Canon...
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote