Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:27 PM   #21

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
KM 7D with Maxxum 75-300mm f3.5-5.6 @ 300mm (450 equiv):

Caught you witha 4X lens! LOL

[align=center]:|[/align]

[align=left]Isn't the 75-300mm 4.5-5.6?
[/align]
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:43 PM   #22

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
First time using this lens... I thought the moon would make a good test subject.

300mm - 5D in Auto mode - shot hand held - no PP, just some cropping

This is one awesome lens. Needless to say, I'm very happy with this really affordable piece of glass!
Sometimes auto doesn't work to good with moonshots. at least not when I tried it. Good shot,especially good considering it was hand held.

I was on my way home tonight, but not my usual route, when I suddenly realized I was by a circuit city and I scanned the shekves for that infamous blue and grey box. There it was, sitting there waiting for me in thethe box. I grabbed a salesman as quick as I could. They were real busy. I think hey may have had an open one but I didn't have the time or patience to care. They also had an open box 5D on display and it was marked at 429. It looks like they are finally selling the dispalys officially. 429 is not bad if it has all the accessories or at least the important ones.

It's a shame the way their display accessories are handled. I managed a competitive local electronics and appliance store 17years agoand we kept every box with accessories tucked away. Also our electronics were tucked away behind display cases so they only got handled as needed under was then considered a professional salesman's care. The only exception were TV remotes, which we kept out to demonstrate. A display model from us was as good as new and sometimes was if something was selling quick enough.

Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:11 AM   #23

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
First time using this lens... I thought the moon would make a good test subject.

300mm - 5D in Auto mode - shot hand held - no PP, just some cropping

This is one awesome lens. Needless to say, I'm very happy with this really affordable piece of glass!
Here's a shot I took the other night with my 200-400 Tamron. I haven't gotten much chance to use this lens, but I'm dying to put it through the paces. It's a little too big for handheld especially at the deep end, but can be done. I elected to to use a tripod. Of course I forgot to turn the antishake off. I remember reading somewhere that you should turn the antishake off when tripoded, but don't know what effect if any it has.

Attached Images

Old Jul 12, 2006, 4:31 AM   #24

Here's my moon shoot with the KM 75-300 lens

tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:03 AM   #25

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
KM 7D with Maxxum 75-300mm f3.5-5.6 @ 300mm (450 equiv):

Caught you witha 4X lens! LOL

[align=center]:|[/align]

[align=left]Isn't the 75-300mm 4.5-5.6?
[/align]

yep, you sure did, that was the ONLY good shot i ever got with that piece of junk and the reason i invested in my HS AF 80-200mm f2.8 APO

(yes : 4.5-5.6, i never use it anymore - want it?)

GLASS IS EVERYTHING!

KM 7D with reflex 500mm f8 and TRIPOD:

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:39 AM   #26

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:

I still really preferto shoot with my 28-75MM 2.8 D. It is not the best lens out there, but it does a good job.

Attached Images

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:26 AM   #27

Well, what is the best lens out there? I'm getting tired of my 28-70mm lens. Too many issues.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:07 PM   #28

imo:

the best minolta glass;

50mm f1.7 *

35-70mm f4 macro *

85mm f1.4

100mm f2.8 macro

70-200mm f4 'beer can'

HS AF 80-200mm f2.8 APO *

300mm f2.8

AF reflex 500mm f8 (mirror) *

(* lens I have and can vouch for)

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH:

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:22 PM   #29

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Well, what is the best lens out there? I'm getting tired of my 28-70mm lens. Too many issues.

The one you take good pictures with.:|

I'd say that depends on what range of lens you mean. Good glass can get expensive.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:10 PM   #30

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I think you mean 28-75MM. If so, you can't judge that lens by the fact that you got a defective one.

As far as what is the best, I am absolutely not an expert, but that would depend on what category of lenses you mean. In the KM or Minolta line, generally the G line is top shelf, but big bucks. Some the D series aren't bad as long as you pick the brighter ones. Some shooters rely on fixed lenses and don't like zoom lenses at all.

When I shot with a Minolta SRT or XG series camera I only owned three fixed lenses to cover wide, mid, and telephoto and my tele lens wasn't that long but I got great shots, even at concerts at Madison Square Garden, but not from the cheap seats.

Personally I'm thinking of weeding through my collection and only running with the following lenses for a while:

Tamron 20-40MM SP 2.7-3.5 my superwide untilget something like a Sigma 10-20MM or KM/Tamron 11-18

KM 28-75 2.8 Dmid range favorite

35-70 F4 Macro got it cheap with a Maxxum 7000 but haven't really used it.

50MM 1.7 I want to give this one a workout

70-210 F4 Beercan for distance... another one I really haven't used

Tamron 200-400MMF5.6 LD. For my nature and wildlife tripod adventures. Seems like a good lens, but I think I should have gotten something in the 200-500mm range. I like the fact that it is fairly bright for its size.

That doesn't mean I won't carry my all purpose 28-300 Tamron on occasion, but I have to stop leaning on that lens for convenience. It takes good pictures, but I want to get better with the rest of my equipment.

I don't mind carrying 3lenses and switching,but the dust fear factor does comeinto play. I really should get something to clean thesensor, because, as careful as I am eventuallyI'm gonna get dust and right now I'm unprepared for that. That's why I'mglad I have a backup camera.