Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:56 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 202
Default

No, a funny thing happened. I had left the 28-75mm at home for a few days while I was out using my 75-300mm. When I decided to mount it again before going to adorama, I saw that the creeping stopped (to an extent that is). It stays in position where I leave it. Its very hot and humid in nyc these days and I was wondering if that has something to do with it. If yes, then I'll just wait till the lens starts creeping again so I can take it to adorama and talk to them about it.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I almost bought another 28-75mm from adorama yesterday and couldn't help looking on eBay for the 50mm 1.7 and 1.4 lenses.
BTW.... did you ask Adorama about the lens issue?

The 50mm 1.7 should be adequate. They say the 1.4 is better, but might not be worth paying double to get it. Although it is still a pretty inexpensive lens, but a bit scarcer.

maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:33 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
bernabeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 990
Default

meanstreak,


on my monitor:

extremely soft and/or over-compressed

if that is from your 28-300 unless you made an error in the resizing for web you have made my point re: maxi zooms being almost junk

gotta go now, have a shoot to do for a stock agency


Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:53 PM   #43
Member
 
Cavemandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 62
Default

For all you lens addicts out there, you should remember to add theshipping costand/or sales tax for each lens when you state what price you paid foreach lens. I mean, look at the topic "Got a KM 75-300mm 59.99" which is likely not the case if you paid local sales tax. I know, I just bought one at my local CC and it cost $59.99 plus $5.40 in sales tax or $65.39 total. May as well add the gas it took to get over there so round it off to $66. So, now if I sell it on eBay for $136 I also didn't make $70 because I still have to take out the cost of putting up the auction and PayPal fees. So, that will knock at least another $5 off my profit, so I'm down to $65. Need to pack it, bought some packing tape at Walmart for that, more money spent. Need to drop it off at the post office too, more time and money!You get the idea, I hope. Buying a bunch of lenses and selling them, thinking you're supporting your habit is being a tad unrealistic in my book.:?

Looking at meanstreak's long list oflenses mean he probably paid aroundanother $100 in shipping for all those lenses.If he bought a camera and other thingsjust to get that lens then he paid even more for shipping.This also includesrduve's little business which may not be making as much money as he thinks.

A simple example, 10 lenses at $10 each for shipping means you just spent an extra $100 on those great deals so it adds up. Instead of buying 10 lenses that you'll probably never use, I would put that $100 paidfor shipping all those lensesintoone better lens that you would likely use more often. It also takes much less time to buy one good lens then to buy a bunch of lenses and then sell a bunch of lenses for a small profit considering all that is involved.:blah:

If you don't agree, you're in denial and willneedto go to thelocal lens rehab center. Also, consider all the time being spent trying to find the ultimate deal. Time isn't free and you could be out taking pics or watching American Idol instead.:lol:

This would make a good episode on that TV showIntervention.


Randy Wheeler
DnRedit.com

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:49 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default


Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
For all you lens addicts out there, you should remember to add theshipping costand/or sales tax for each lens when you state what price you paid foreach lens. I mean, look at the topic "Got a KM 75-300mm 59.99" which is likely not the case if you paid local sales tax. I know, I just bought one at my local CC and it cost $59.99 plus $5.40 in sales tax or $65.39 total. May as well add the gas it took to get over there so round it off to $66. So, now if I sell it on eBay for $136 I also didn't make $70 because I still have to take out the cost of putting up the auction and PayPal fees. So, that will knock at least another $5 off my profit, so I'm down to $65. Need to pack it, bought some packing tape at Walmart for that, more money spent. Need to drop it off at the post office too, more time and money!
Quote:
Dude you have real issues and only come out of your cave tocriticize. You are way to negative and spend way to much time trying to figure thingsout. When I stated prices that had little or nothing to do with how much I was going to make or lose. I wasresponding to someone's post that he spent a lot on lenses and my point was that I bought a lot of lenses without spending a lot.The fact thatif I want to sell them I can make a profit is secondary. I'm not looking to make a business out of it. I just won't lose money. I'm not even sure I'm going to sell them. OK so I paid tax on the lens... so what!!!! If I sell it, I will get more than enough to cover it.It cost me nothing in gas because it was on my way home. So I paid shipping on some items,so what!!! Don't worry, I always charge more than enough shipping to make money to coverthe overhead. I paid nothing for tape or cartons since I use stuff I have on hand and I get tape for free.Like I said, I have yet to lose money on EBay and I'm not just talking camera accessories. BTW... I paid 299 plus tax for a 5600 flash and sold it for 490 plus 26 dollars shipping and insurance. Subtract my EBay & Paypal fees and I still made a huge profit. I also paid 269 plus taxfor a 5d camera with a kit lens.... are you going to knock that too?? BTW... if I sell it, bet I make money on it.
Quote:
Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
You get the idea, I hope. Buying a bunch of lenses and selling them, thinking you're supporting your habit is being a tad unrealistic in my book.:?

Looking at meanstreak's long list oflenses mean he probably paid aroundanother $100 in shipping for all those lenses.If he bought a camera and other thingsjust to get that lens then he paid even more for shipping.This also includesrduve's little business which may not be making as much money as he thinks.
Quote:
I only bought 4lenses that were shipped and only one of those was with a camera that was shipped and the shipping was no different because it came with a camera. Two of the lenses Ibought on EBay, I actually picked up on the way home from New York City, so no shipping. If you are going to make statements, get your facts straight. If you want to quote what I paid to quantify your arguments, then use realistic figures, not speculation or averages based on what little you know.I don't have any money issues and don't rely on this to make a living. You were so concerned the last time I bought a beercan lens for 113 dollars that you went out of your way to knock it as probably beinga bad lens in poor shape.The lens is spotless and if I wanted to sell it I could make a profit.Youcriticized my judgment as soon as I announced that I won it, based on your expectations of what, when, and who to buy fromon EBay. You went as far as to track it down on EBay and actually posted the item I bought here in the forum as an example of what not to buy. I think that is going out of your wayto make your point and borders on stalking... don't you?Stop following me around!!! If people like me and RDUVE want to buy and sell on EBay it is none of your business how much we make or lose as long as we are happy with what we are doing.
Quote:
Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
A simple example, 10 lenses at $10 each for shipping means you just spent an extra $100 on those great deals so it adds up. Instead of buying 10 lenses that you'll probably never use, I would put that $100 paidfor shipping all those lensesintoone better lens that you would likely use more often. It also takes much less time to buy one good lens then to buy a bunch of lenses and then sell a bunch of lenses for a small profit considering all that is involved.
Quote:
Stop generalizing and talking down to people. We are adults and can do the math. Take your own advice.... you bought a cheap lens for 59 dollars didn't you? Oh wait.... you paid tax and gas... I almost forgot. Shouldn't you have taken your own advice and waited to save up for a good lens. Here's some advice...save your beer cans, (no relation to the lens) get your nickel deposits back and by a better lens?
Quote:
If you don't agree, you're in denial and willneedto go to thelocal lens rehab center. Also, consider all the time being spent trying to find the ultimate deal. Time isn't free and you could be out taking pics or watching American Idol instead.
Quote:
I don't agree and don't care and don't need your advice. I don't think anyone else cares either.You're right time isn't free, but we are free to do what we want with our time. You could be out taking pictures andwatching Jerry Springer instead of all the time you waste being negative and using me as an example to prove your ridiculous and superfluous points. If you want to make points, do it without getting personal or at least leave me out of it. In fact, I don't appreciate it one bit and ask that you refrain from mentioning my name in posts from now on. Just leave me alone.
Quote:
BTW... one question. Out of the56 posts you made since December 2005, how many of them had something meaningful to say and or were not of a negative nature or knocking someone, their taste or judgment?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:57 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak,


on my monitor:

extremely soft and/or over-compressed

if that is from your 28-300 unless you made an error in the resizing for web you have made my point re: maxi zooms being almost junk

gotta go now, have a shoot to do for a stock agency

I did that for effect. LOL That was post processed from a picture that was already posted on Photobucket and due to their size limit, they had already diminshed the file. I was just playing aroundwith it trying different things. Then it had to be further compressed to meet the file size requirements here.

You could be right about the lens, but not because of this example. LOL

Honestly... I appreciate your advice on the lenses, but I may still keep that one just for distance. Yes I know it compromises the potential of the KM sensor, but I'm just not ready to give it up.




meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:46 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
rduve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,504
Default

Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
For all you lens addicts out there, you should remember to add theshipping costand/or sales tax for each lens when you state what price you paid foreach lens. I mean, look at the topic "Got a KM 75-300mm 59.99" which is likely not the case if you paid local sales tax. I know, I just bought one at my local CC and it cost $59.99 plus $5.40 in sales tax or $65.39 total. May as well add the gas it took to get over there so round it off to $66. So, now if I sell it on eBay for $136 I also didn't make $70 because I still have to take out the cost of putting up the auction and PayPal fees. So, that will knock at least another $5 off my profit, so I'm down to $65. Need to pack it, bought some packing tape at Walmart for that, more money spent. Need to drop it off at the post office too, more time and money!You get the idea, I hope. Buying a bunch of lenses and selling them, thinking you're supporting your habit is being a tad unrealistic in my book.:?

Looking at meanstreak's long list oflenses mean he probably paid aroundanother $100 in shipping for all those lenses.If he bought a camera and other thingsjust to get that lens then he paid even more for shipping.This also includesrduve's little business which may not be making as much money as he thinks.

A simple example, 10 lenses at $10 each for shipping means you just spent an extra $100 on those great deals so it adds up. Instead of buying 10 lenses that you'll probably never use, I would put that $100 paidfor shipping all those lensesintoone better lens that you would likely use more often. It also takes much less time to buy one good lens then to buy a bunch of lenses and then sell a bunch of lenses for a small profit considering all that is involved.:blah:

If you don't agree, you're in denial and willneedto go to thelocal lens rehab center. Also, consider all the time being spent trying to find the ultimate deal. Time isn't free and you could be out taking pics or watching American Idol instead.:lol:

This would make a good episode on that TV showIntervention.


Randy Wheeler
DnRedit.com


Your uplifting and positive contributions are - as usual - always appreciated, cavemandude. I absolutely agree with you that we are all in denial about our "lens addiction." Speaking of denial, I knew a guy once who was in total denial about beinga condescending,anti-social jerk while it was obvious to the rest of the world. He spent his life criticizing and talking down to others, and really had no life of his own. Even his own family did not like him. But he would have never known. He was way too self-absorbed and pompous.

There are such people out there, you know? Sometimes they evensneak into these forums,where they are generally reviled. It's best to stay away from them. Don't you agree, Randy?

:G

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:06 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
rduve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,504
Default

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
KM 7D with Maxxum 75-300mm f3.5-5.6 @ 300mm (450 equiv):
That is one great shot. I don't think CC in California carries this lens...Or do they?

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:12 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 202
Default

I finally returned my lens to adorama. I followed your advice and went straight for the manager (Mark) and explained how I had to exchange the camera body twice and now the lens itself is defective. He quickly looked at my account and told me to bring it back so he could exchange it.

I went there on sunday with the lens and within 5 minutes walked home with a new and perfect 28-75mm. This one doesn't creep and doesn't reset itself each time I point it downwards!

The salesman I want to avoid each time is Gary. He is pretty manipulative and last three times I was at Adorama, he was the guy I had to deal with.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I almost bought another 28-75mm from adorama yesterday and couldn't help looking on eBay for the 50mm 1.7 and 1.4 lenses.
BTW.... did you ask Adorama about the lens issue?

The 50mm 1.7 should be adequate. They say the 1.4 is better, but might not be worth paying double to get it. Although it is still a pretty inexpensive lens, but a bit scarcer.

maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:41 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I finally returned my lens to adorama. I followed your advice and went straight for the manager (Mark) and explained how I had to exchange the camera body twice and now the lens itself is defective. He quickly looked at my account and told me to bring it back so he could exchange it.

I went there on sunday with the lens and within 5 minutes walked home with a new and perfect 28-75mm. This one doesn't creep and doesn't reset itself each time I point it downwards!

The salesman I want to avoid each time is Gary. He is pretty manipulative and last three times I was at Adorama, he was the guy I had to deal with.

Quote:
I am so glad I was able to help out... I really am.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:01 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 202
Default

Ya, if it wasn't for you, I had not clue how to approach this. Thanks! I am not too good with returning items (guilt...) even if they are faulty. Gotta learn!!!

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I finally returned my lens to adorama. I followed your advice and went straight for the manager (Mark) and explained how I had to exchange the camera body twice and now the lens itself is defective. He quickly looked at my account and told me to bring it back so he could exchange it.

I went there on sunday with the lens and within 5 minutes walked home with a new and perfect 28-75mm. This one doesn't creep and doesn't reset itself each time I point it downwards!

The salesman I want to avoid each time is Gary. He is pretty manipulative and last three times I was at Adorama, he was the guy I had to deal with.

Quote:
I am so glad I was able to help out... I really am.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:32 AM.