Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:21 AM   #41
Administrator

If you're concerned about Sony's response, buy it from a vendor that has a good return policy.

But, user reports I've seen so far say that the Sony flash is "spot on", and there is no reason to consider a 5600HS instead.

A recent quote from a KM DSLR owner that has both the 5600HS and new Sony HVL-F56AM, replying to someone asking which one to buy for their 7D in another forum (and they even went to the trouble of measuring the output with both using a Minolta Flash Meter III and making detailed reports):

Quote:
It makes no sense to buy a KM flash now.. (new or used)
From what I have seen with my testing yesterday and today.
This flash seems spot on.

My conclusion from reports I've seen so far from KM users ... It's a rebranded 5600HS with better calibration.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:12 AM   #42

JimC wrote:
Quote:
AJ Gressette wrote:
Quote:
IS THIS TRUE???
No, it's not true.

The person reponding to you doesn't know what they're talking about. I've seen multiple user reports that the new Sony flash works well on a 7D, and I saw one report where a user compared one to a KM flash, and found that the new Sony flash exposed slightly brighter in all circumstances, eliminating the need to use compensation (as they had to do with their KM Flash, since it was apparently not calibrated correctly).

Some (but not all) of the 5600HS and 3600HS strobes had underexposure problems and needed to be recalibrated by KM. It looks like the new Sony units are already well calibrated.

That the new Sony strobes are compatible is well known. PopPhoto reported that they'd tried them a long time ago, and I've seen actual user reports of them on KM DSLR models since Sony has started shipping them.

One user that has both is thinking about selling his 5600HS and getting another Sony flash, since the Sony flash works better with his KM bodies (he's a pro and wants a spare, which is why he bought the Sony to begin with).

My 5600 is on the money on my 7D. In fact Ialso tried it with another 5600 flash, since I had purchased 2 of them and never experianced any exposure problems on the second unit. Sometimes I wish I had kept the second flash, but I sold it for 500 dollars.

As I understand it, the problem was happening occasionaly on early 7Ds manfactured with firmware prior to 1.10. Why it happened on some models but not all is puzzling. I'm also not sure exactly how they corrected it on later models, but simply upgrading the firmware on the units with exposure issues was not enough tosolve the problem. I believe in addtion to the firware upgrade there was some engineering adjustment on the the later model 7Ds as well. It also seems it wasn't an issue for the 5D, so they must have adjusted the cameras to work better with the flash without having to calibrate the flash.

I'm not suggesting the Sony version isn't better than the 5600, but mine works fine the way it is. Of course I saythat not having tried the Sony. At this point I would have to agree thatit makes no sense to buy the 5600, unless you can get one much cheaper than the Sony, which I don't see happening.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:55 PM   #43

For those of you using the HVL-F56AM flash with your KM 7D cameras, I would like to know if anyone has done any testing in wireless mode to make sure that the 7D can communicate with the off-body flash. Were exposures correct when operating in this mode? Also, were any tests performed using older Minolta flash units as wireless slaves in conjunction with the F56AM as the primary flash? Thanks for any info you can offer. I have two 7D cameras and want to order one of these flashes.
--
Jeff
Jeffery Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:05 PM   #44

tango_28 wrote:
Quote:
Well, I decide to the Metz 54 flash instead of the 5600. Since my in-laws are going to Germany in the next couple of weeks, I think I'll giving them the money and pick one up for me. It's hard finding one here in the US. Anybody know of a good store in Munich or Berlin area to pick a Metz 54?

Thanks
What's the main reason for you decision?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:08 PM   #45

Half my offamily have lazy eye, that is main reason for the Metz 54. Also the Auto mode works great so my wife could take good flash photograhpy.
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:36 AM   #46

I was under the impression there were two version of the 5600HS. The 5600HS, and the 5600HS(D). From my attempts with the "regular" 5600HS, the Alpha 100 does not work properly with it immediately. It seems to overfire the flash a bit. But the 'D' version is good.

Apparently the Sony is actually a relabelled 'D'.
hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:58 AM   #47
Administrator

hotwire wrote:
Quote:
I was under the impression there were two version of the 5600HS. The 5600HS, and the 5600HS(D). From my attempts with the "regular" 5600HS, the Alpha 100 does not work properly with it immediately. It seems to overfire the flash a bit. But the 'D' version is good.

Apparently the Sony is actually a relabelled 'D'.
There is only one version of the 5600HS, and it is a (D) strobe (designed to be compatible with newer cameras that take distance information from ADI Compatible lenses into consideration).

Sometimes you see this strobe listed without a D. But, that's only the way a vendor lists it. They have never made a non-D version of the 5600.

If you had a 5600HS that was too "hot" (very unusual, since the most common problem is underexposure), then it was probably not calibrated correctly (KM had to recalibrate some of these strobes to work properly, mostly due to underexposure issues).

Are you sure you were not trying the older 5400HS versus the 5600HS (D)? The 5400HS is *not* compatible, and will always fire at full power unless you use manual power settings.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:46 AM   #48

No, infact I was trying to look for one of these in a used, and it was definitely a 5600HS flash I was trying. Same problem as the 5400, but believe me when I say I can read the label on the flash. 5 seconds later I throw on the Sony 56 flash and no problem... I just can't afford that flash right now.
hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:24 AM   #49

hotwire wrote:
Quote:
No, infact I was trying to look for one of these in a used, and it was definitely a 5600HS flash I was trying. Same problem as the 5400, but believe me when I say I can read the label on the flash. 5 seconds later I throw on the Sony 56 flash and no problem... I just can't afford that flash right now.
There is a wwell known issue with some 5600 units on some 7D and even 5D cameras. The Sony is a 5600 for sure, but possibly with some upgrade that KM had in the works. I have had no problems with my 5D and my 5600, but I haven't had a chance to try it on my 7D. Even if it does have an issue, I'll keep it for the 5D. No way I would buy the Sony until prices settle down.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote