Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:05 PM   #1

This is fairly sketchy info I know, but as I encourage my dad to pick up the 7d or 5d (but can't find one) or wait for the Sony, can you give me a clue as to whether or not the lens for the above camera will fit the digital SLRs in question. I understand they may not fully perform, but I told him I would ask the question. He says they there are 3 prongs..

"Sony a Alpha/Minolta-A bayonet lens mount"

If you will tell me what else to ask or look for, I can do that also. If I've re-asked an age old question, please point me to the posts.

Thanks,

M

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:18 AM   #2

All Minolta A mount lenses, and most aftermarket lenses will fit the 5D, 7D and upcoming Alpha 100. Circuit City and WalMArt have had some incredible deals, so I would think seriously about them, but the Alpha will be out later this month.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:18 PM   #3

minolta MC and/or MD manual focus lenses will NOT work (or mount) on the KM 5D or 7D - nor will they work on the new Sony Alpha (which uses minolta A mount)

all minolta Maxxum (A mount) autofocus lenses WILL work

(the minolta X-700 accepts only MC or MD manual focus lenses)

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:52 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you! That's what I needed to know!

M

p.s. he's ordering tonight, right now I'm working researching the longer lens for him right now.
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:31 AM   #5

Hello everyone!! New member here. I am also planning to purchase the Alpha when it becomes available as I have owned many other Minolta cameras and already have the lenses I need. Soooo...just to make sure I fully understand....ALL of my auto-focus Minolta lenses will work with the new Alpha, right? Do you have any idea if the AF Sigma lenses made for Minolta will work as well???

Thanks!!

pjfnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6

pjfnme wrote:
Quote:
Hello everyone!! New member here. I am also planning to purchase the Alpha when it becomes available as I have owned many other Minolta cameras and already have the lenses I need. Soooo...just to make sure I fully understand....ALL of my auto-focus Minolta lenses will work with the new Alpha, right? Do you have any idea if the AF Sigma lenses made for Minolta will work as well???

Thanks!!

Most will, if you already have them, just wait and see.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:38 AM   #7

Since we are on this subject-I am also planning on buying this camera. Anyone know if Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses will work-if so what adapter-I know it will be limited functions-just like to use some of my SP lenses.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:17 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Tamron adaptall to Minolta AF adapter:
This Tamron adpatall will allow all Tamron adaptall lenses to be used on Minolta AF body, there is no optic inside the adpater and it can focus to infinity.
Stop down metering and manual focus only.
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...=2100&PN=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:52 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
...just like to use some of my SP lenses.
Or just by newer used SP Lenses. :-)

Get the Autofocus Tamron SP (Super Performance) lenses in Minolta AF mount.

I got a Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 AF Lens new in the box for $174. lol

I got a Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 AF Lens for only $119 in bargain condition from keh.com. Yes, it's a bargain all right. They've got the most conservative ratings around. This thing looks like and works like new.

With newer Autofocus lenses, you don't have to worry about the adapter and metering stopped down with and you'd still have the quality of the Tamron SP (Super Performance) lens line.

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 AF Lens:

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 AF Lens:

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 AF Lens. Highligts a tad hot, but t can't can't blame that on the lens. I guess I should at least edit out the fishing line showing through from behind them under a chin.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:41 PM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
...just like to use some of my SP lenses.
Or just by newer used SP Lenses. :-)

Get the Autofocus Tamron SP (Super Performance) lenses in Minolta AF mount.

I got a Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 AF Lens new in the box for $174. lol

I got a Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 for only $119 in bargain condition from Keh.com. Yes, it's a bargain all right. They've got the most conservative ratings around. This thing looks like and works like new.

With newer Autofocus lenses, you don't have to worry about the adapter and metering stopped down with and you'd still have the quality of the Tamron SP (Super Performance) lens line.

I think the 20-40mm does a nice job.... then again so does the 35-105, although I don't think I see that one often.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote