Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:20 PM   #1

I just pullled camera and lenses out of the back of the closet after a couple of years of being packed away. I have a Minolta Maxxum 400si and lenses as follows:

Minolta 35-70AF f/4, Minolta 70-210AF f/4 (is this the aforementioned "Beercan" in a previous thread?), and Tamron (for Minolta) 70-300 AF f/4-5.6.

My main question: are these lenses useful for dslr?? I've been doing research on cameras for the past few months, not necessarily looking at dslr's./ but after doing a lot of reading on the forums here..... well finding the lenses again put a bit of a hmmmmmm factor on my camera search...:idea:

Any info You can pass on will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bev
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:56 PM   #2

The 35-70 f4 and the 70-210 f4 are both outstanding lenses, the Tamron is an average lens. All 3 of them can be used on any KM or (yet to be released) Sony DSLR model.

And yes, the 70-210 f4 is the 'beercan' and is one of the sharpest lenses made (by anyone) in that range.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:17 PM   #3

thank you for the info Merc. Gives me more to think about on my search...:roll:

Regards,

Bev
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:32 PM   #4
Administrator

I've got the 35-70mm f/4, and it's a sharp lens. But, I haven't really used it much other than some quick tests.

I wouldn't mind having a 70-210mm f/4 either. I'm still kicking myself for not buying one last year (you could find them all day long for under $100 at the time). This is a popular lens for KM DSLR models and it's price keeps rising on the used market.

But, be aware that your lenses will appear to be longer on a DSLR. That's because the sensor is smaller than 35mm film.

As a result, you need to multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.5x to see how the angle of view compares to the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera.

For example, a 50mm lens would behave like a 75mm (50mm x 1.5 = 75mm), or your 35-70mm lens would behave like a 52-105mm lens.

That's great if you need a longer lens. But, that can leave you lacking a bit on the wider end. So, it's probably a good idea to pick up a wider lens to use, too. That's one reason you see many kit lenses with DSLR models starting out at around 18mm. For example, the 18-70mm kit lens that will be available with the Alpha 100 (and is also shipping with some of the 5D and 7D kits) would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of around 27-105mm on a KM or Sony DSLR.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:31 PM   #5

Jim, Thanks also to you for the info. I pulled this kit out finally to see if I have anything "sellable" to put toward and extended zoom (pana fz30). But that may be moot because availability is getting scarce on those as well. Oh well. You think its worth considering a used 5d or 7d body??? or new ones if they can be found???? I'm just looking at different possibilities. I've been biding my time on a purchase for financial reasons, i had no idea the digital scenecould and would change so rapidly.

It was tough putting my hands on my camera.. Ihave itchy fingers now:lol:. I think I appreciate this equipment more now since I have been reading so much and learning so much on the forums here. I do know that little minolta 400siis an entry level camera, but it'shefty andseemingly well constructed. I hope digital has followed suit in that regard.

Thanks again for the info

Bev
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:54 PM   #6
Administrator

IMO, the best deal around right now on a DSLR is the Konica Minolta 7D at Wal-Mart for $699 with an 18-70mm lens while supplies last.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4898002

This is a super deal, at less than half of it's original price. This camera sold for $100 more than the Canon EOS-20D when it was first introduced, and $600 more than the Nikon D70.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:18 AM   #7

Thanks Jim, that does give me a reason to take more than a second look at the 7d