Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 8, 2006, 4:36 PM   #21

Would there be any reason to own both the Vivitar 70-210 f2.8 and the Tamron 28-300? Is the Tamron's extra 90mm worth an additional $150 or just go with the limitations of the 210mmand pick him up the 50mm f/1.7 (?) for combined price same as 28-300...and wait and see if he's sightseeing and needs 300mm?

Sorry folks, not one of my brighter last few days.

In light of possible mistake would it be against the rules to post the links to the lenses we've been talking about here?

Thanks,

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:16 PM   #22
Administrator

The Vivitar is going to be around twice as bright at any given focal length shared between these lenses.

So, if you're shooting in less than optimum lighting, that would allow you to get much faster shutter speeds for the same ISO speed by using a larger aperture (smaller f/stop number). If it's even brighter than the aperture indicates, the difference may even be greater.

It really doesn't rate very well on MTF charts (or via user ratings). But, neither does the Tamron.

I haven't used either one of these lenses. So, rduve is in a better position to give you pros and cons (keeping in mind that the conditons you use one in will be a big factor in what works best)

Most inexpensive zooms don't do bad stopped down some. But, if you want to use them at wide open apertures, the differences with more expensive zooms tends to be more obvious (from a sharpness perspective anyway). Brightness, Sharpness, color, contrast, focus speed, resistance to flare, focal range, ergonomics, size, weight and more all come into the equation as to what makes one lens more attractive than another, depending on the user and the conditions it will be used in. Ditto for print and viewing sizes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:48 PM   #23

Is this right?

Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 APO Series 1 Autofocus Zoom Lens

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-Maxxum-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:03 PM   #24
Administrator

I shouldn't answer that one, since I've noticed Cameta's price for it and I was waiting on Rainer (rduve) to let us know how well it does at wide open apertures . lol

So, if everyone else buys them up, I may not be able to get one. :-)

So, let me rephrase....

Those Vivtar shots look horrible to my eyes compared to the Tamron. I wouldn't use that lens if I were you.

OK -- yep, that's the one.

Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:22 PM   #25

I love you JimC!

M

Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:39 PM   #26

Thank you ALL! for your help!

I have finished the ordering! Got the Vivitar and a 'kit' from Cameta just to get him started (CF card, bag, battery, and some odds and ends).

Am going to try to talk him into the 50mm 1.7 - saw it around $100.

Thanks so very much!

M
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:00 PM   #27
Administrator

I noticed someone grabbed it. lol

Let us know how you like the Vivitar. I haven't noticed any forum members here using it with a KM DSLR yet (other than rduve, who seems to prefer the Tamron 28-300mm, judging by the posts in this thread).

The price is sure great for a 70-210mm f/2.8-4 lens if it's not too soft wide open and focuses OK. It might make a good lens to use for low light events indoors in a pinch if it's not too soft at wider apertures. I'll wait to see more reports on it before forming an opinion.

As for a 50mm f/1.7, I noticed two camera packages a couple of days ago that included one for buy it now prices of only $50.00

It looks like they're gone now. But, those kind of deals come up pretty often on Ebay.

Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:44 PM   #28

Yeah, the 50mm 1.7 is generally cheaper on Ebay when combined with an old Maxxum body. If they're selling for over $100, I've got an extra or 2 that I may put out onto Ebay myself! I'm pretty sure I haven't paid over half that for any 50 1.7.

I hope that Vivitar lens suits your dad well, it does seem like a good option for him at that price.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:18 AM   #29

I didn't get a chance to take any shots at the gym. But I went to the tail end of a concert tonight, and tested the Vivitar in low light, but without comparisons to another lens. No tripods were allowed and I only managed to get my camera close enough when they were finishing off. Here are two shots handheld. Doesn't tell too much, but I think the lens will be alright for such purposes.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:25 AM   #30

..and some instruments after the musicians were gone. The lighting was really low. Taken at210mm, ISO 1600, 1/15th, f4.0 handheld.The KM 5D'sAS sure works and this lens coulddo well as a concert lens. Hopefully I get more chances to test it soon.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote