Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:22 AM   #31
Administrator

Cool... Keep us posted. That doesn't look too soft for wide open (especially considering it's a handheld 1/15 second shot at max zoom), and ISO 1600 is going to be a tad softer anyway. lol

You've got to love the Anti-shake!

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:09 PM   #32

Awesome, I think this is going to work very well for him. Ranier -- I think those pics were beautiful. I think JimC is right - not too soft. And thank you for posting those! (all of them actually!)

He of course will have birthdays and Christmas' coming up so that Tamron will be in his near future.

I hope it makes sense that we were in such a rush, because he has been wanting to go this route and once he made up his mind, he was ready for it in his hands (I even had him check the local CC and wallyworld in case something was available locally).

The price of the 50mm was at one of the biggies like KEH or so, can't remember, that's why so high. I'll browse Ebay.

Film just got so expensive he had to stop using it for the church functions and once he and mom got p&s, they just carried those, but he's just never been happy.

Just to let you know the kind of work he did with film and a little story behind it, when he lived in Alaska in the70s he took lots of b&w slides of the wilderness on his weekend outtings. His son, in the Coast Guard, stationed in Alaska, was also a wilderness buff. Upon a family visit from his son, he got out the slides. For hours they talked about the ice receding and other changes. It was awesome. (And the slides were beautiful.)

When he and my mom visited Greece to see my mother's father's birthplace, through a series of unlucky events, he ended up without his flash. There was a trunk in this unelectrified old stone house with my grandfather's name on it. My mom was just devastated that the pictures would be too dark and she would not have a picture of this 'link' to her father....pardon my stupidity for not knowing how he did it (I use auto :roll but he pushed the camera and pulled in all available light - and he got the picture!

I just wanted you to know that he is going to enjoy this camera beyond even his wildest imagination and that you all have answered the call to give someone a great start into digital SLR.

Thanks, more than you will ever know.

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:10 PM   #33

Great. Keep us posted on how he likes his setup and maybe post some samples. Regarding the 50mm 1.7 lens. Go through ebay and find old Minolta SLR's which have that lens included. You often find old Maxxum 5000's or 7000's or 3000i's for cheap with that lens. I know because I have been making money by buying them and selling them separately. Last week I missed an auction for the Maxxum 3000i went with the 50 f1.7 lens for $31 bucks, but I won another one for $40 and sold the lens for $70 the next day. That's my little business secret. Since I will be in Germany for a month, and won't be able to pursue my ebay business, I thought I'd share it with you, so you can get your lens cheap.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:58 PM   #34

I just shot a few more comparisons. These should ease your mind that you made a good choice for your dad's lens. The Vivitar looks pretty good.

Here is the Vivitar 70-210 f2.8-4 at 110mm f8

Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:01 PM   #35

My beloved Tarmron [email protected] 100mm f9
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:03 PM   #36

The highly praised and expensive KM 28-75 f2.8 @ 75 mm f9.0

Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:07 PM   #37

...and the Vivitar 70-210 f2.8-4 wide open @ 135mm f3.5. Less DoF but otherwise very sharp and it can compete with the best. By the way, the quality is still indistinguishable even at full sized and cropped down to the smallest detail.

Hope that helps. Oh, one more thing. Remind your dad to set the camera at EV -2/3 when using theVivitar in daylight. That makes up for its tendency to overexpose.

Rainer

htt://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:42 PM   #38
Administrator

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Hope that helps. Oh, one more thing. Remind your dad to set the camera at EV -2/3 when using theVivitar in daylight. That makes up for its tendency to overexpose.
That may actually work just right with a 7D. Most 7D owners report neeiding to use a +EV setting (usually around a stop in most conditions) for correct exposure. lol

Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:49 PM   #39

Get one and check it out, Jim.

:-)

Rainer
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:55 PM   #40
Administrator

So many good lenses, too little money. :-)

I have been keeping an eye on that one, though.

I'm not much of a long lens shooter. I still haven't gotten around to buying anything longer than my 135mm f/2.8 in Miinolta mount (and it doesn't get used much). But, a longer zoom could come in handy from time to time.