Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:40 PM   #1

Will this lens still AF on the 7d? (Trying to explain its limitations to my dad).
Minolta Normal AF 50mm f/1.7 Autofocus Lens
Features
Focus Adjustment Autofocus
Zoom Adjustment Fixed Focal Length Lens

Details
Filter Size 49 mm
Aperture Less than f/2
Minimum Focus Range 18 in
Magnification Normal / Straight (35 - 65mm)
View Angle 47 degrees
Groups/Elements 6 Elements in 5 Groups
Diameter 2.63 in
Length 1.56 in
Weight 6 oz
MPN 2613600

Thanks,

M

p.s. I'm SUPPOSED to be putting up peas and butterbeans. Good grief!

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:45 PM   #2

Yes, it will work quite well. On a DSLR, it will have the effect of a 75m lens. These are popular lenses.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:33 PM   #3

But will he be able to use auto settings (will it act as a 'made for' 7d lens) (except for the 1.5 factor)?

M

p.s. I think its his b'day present :-)
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4

melt-

Yes, it will work fine with the KM 7D.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5

As long as it's in functioning order, it is completely compatible with the 7d. If it's used- ask about the aperture, it should be oil free and 'snappy', if not get a different lens.It's very sharp and quite bright- he'll love it.

Oh, just so you know..if it is not a 'D' lens, it will not have the newfangled ADI- it doesn't seem to be of much use practically. I can'tdistinguish any focus or flash improvementfrom 'D' to non 'D' lenses.

Either way, it should still work fine on any KM DSLR.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:18 AM   #6

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Oh, just so you know..if it is not a 'D' lens, it will not have the newfangled ADI- it doesn't seem to be of much use practically. I can'tdistinguish any focus or flash improvementfrom 'D' to non 'D' lenses.
And thats just a flash issue, otherwise any minolta AUTOFOCUS lens will work fully and completely with the 7D. Manual focus lenses do not work at all, different mount.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:06 PM   #7

Thanks folks, I didn't mean to sound dense, but as I'm shopping (now browsing pawn shops), I want to be sure I get it right. He doesn't have the lust for this lens (for my D50) that I do, but I know he will enjoy it. Kind of a situation where he needs it, he just doesn't know it yet. Still hoping to run across a bargain (and not get what I paid for).

Thanks - AGAIN - all!

M

Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:20 PM   #8

What ix XX (crossed x version of this lens)? Is it better or worse than just a regular lens? Do I care?

Thanks,

M
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:48 PM   #9

In the first year or so of Maxxum production, Minolta had the x's crossed. Then Exxon- noting the impact on their fuel sales- sued Minolta for trademark infringement and won. All Maxxum products made since have the x's in normal formation, safeguarding Exxon's stranglehold on photographic equipment.

They're collectable and getting a crossed X version of any Maxxum lens guaratees early production ( and some assert the earlier lenses have better optics) so there is a slight premium on them. I've got a 50mm 1.7 of both the crossed X version and the non (but still early) and they're both sharp and bright.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:01 PM   #10

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
In the first year or so of Maxxum production, Minolta had the x's crossed. Then Exxon- noting the impact on their fuel sales- sued Minolta for trademark infringement and won. All Maxxum products made since have the x's in normal formation, safeguarding Exxon's stranglehold on photographic equipment.
The morons at Exxon forgot that they were selling the same xx Minota cameras in their credit card statements. IIRC, Minolta didn't lose in court, but settled ratehr than go to court, but I may well be mistaken.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote