Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 11, 2006, 2:10 PM   #1

I called Konica Minolta today and they want me to send my lens out to Precision. I've read horror stories on dpreview. Is it worth it?
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 4:18 PM   #2

I'm heading off to adorama to buy a backup 28-75mm for 349 bucks, because obviously the future looks bleak for the one I have. Can someone share their story of a buyback, i.e. under what conditions does Sony do a buyback?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 7:54 PM   #3

Do you have a local trusted repair center, perhaps an old KM dealer?It may cost you less and give a better ( or real) warranty.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:56 PM   #4

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I'm heading off to adorama to buy a backup 28-75mm for 349 bucks, because obviously the future looks bleak for the one I have. Can someone share their story of a buyback, i.e. under what conditions does Sony do a buyback?
I know it's been a while since you bought it from Adorama, but with all the issues you had with regard to exchanges on the 7D, you might ask them to swap it. Probably won't do it, but maybe if you speak real loud on one of their busiest days, they may swap it just to shut you up. It also helps ifyou paid with American Express... I never have trouble getting my money back when I promise to stop payment. Sometimes I actually have to go through it. I know it's not Adorama's fault, but I'll bet they can return it for credit.

Funny, but my first lens from them had a mild blemish on the coating on the outer edge that didn't affect quality, but I made them take it backsince I on'y had it a few days. The salesman told me it wouldn't affect the picture and he was right, but I laughed and said that it was brand new and shouldn't have to acceot a defective product. He walked away with his tail between his legs and got me a new one.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:45 AM   #5

I am usually very defensive around salesmen, and if Adorama was CC i'd feel a little more confidant. Can you give me a few tips on how to go about getting them swap this lens? Its been some time now but my warranty cards are unfilled.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:33 PM   #6

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I am usually very defensive around salesmen, and if Adorama was CC i'd feel a little more confidant. Can you give me a few tips on how to go about getting them swap this lens? Its been some time now but my warranty cards are unfilled.
I'm not sure they will do it, but ask to speak to a manager and explain him all the trouble you have had and feel they should make an exception to their 7 day exchange policy. You exchanged two cameras their if I recall. Hit them with the fact that it is your only lens (even if this is a lie) and based on the Sony service situation, you don't feel you should be without a camera since it could take weeks. Even if they don't take it back, maybe they can give you a loaner lens, which would make it easier on you. I don't know what you method of payment was, but if credit card and you get no satisfaction, explain to them that you will probably be contacting the creditor to put in a card holders dispute. Amex is the best, since they will put in a dispute for you without having to write them. You can do it by phone or on their website and this takes the money off your bill until it is resolved. This creates a paperwork hastle for the merchant and sometimes they don't fill it out and then you win by default. Be aware if you do carry out a stop payment, you probably won't do business with them again, since that will piss them off.

Note that it may seem a little unfair to hold the merchant accountable and truthfully they are within their rights to not exchange it since itis really not their fault, but in the current situation, a good merchant will go the extra mile since he can probaly return it to Sony for repair or exchange instead of you going through the hastle.

You might also check to see what kind of protection your credit card company has. Amex hasReturn Protection, if you're dissatisfied with any eligible purchase you made with the Card and the merchant won't take it back, they'll reimburse you for the purchase price, up to $300 per item, excluding shipping and handling. Just call them with 90 days of the date of purchase. I don't know what the limitations are.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:24 PM   #7

My experience involved Sony buying-back a 7D. You know, since Sony is bragging about how many Minolta lenses will work with the Alpha, you might not have issues with a lens repair.

Ultimately, Precision claimed that Sony wasn't sending them parts for the 7D repair.
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:23 PM   #8
RJR

My son had the anti shake failure problem on his 7Dwhere all seems ok except that the camera will not fire and all the anti shake ld's stay lit and the buffer shows zero.

He sent his camera in for repair in mid July, they started therepair on July 24th and the camera repair was completed on August 22nd and was shippedout to him on the 23rd. They must be getting some parts again because earlier I saw some people with a similar problem getting paid off instead of repaired. :-)

Update: His camera showed repairs completed and shipped back but as it really turned out they did not repair it and shipped it to Sony. They are now in the process of buying him out instead.

RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:23 AM   #9

I didn't have any problems with Precision repairing my 5D the only problem came when Sony lost it after precision sent it back to them.

I did ask a Sony/KM service guy about the repair parts situation and he said that was on of the biggest problems they had in the acquisition but that they seem to have "just about" gotten it straightened out now.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote