Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:43 PM   #1

I saw this phrase on a BBC show, 'gob struck'... I think it means totally flabbergasted...my dad on getting the new 7d.

We have had a few things going on, so can't post samples yet, and he doesn't have the Vivitar lens yet, but he is just awestruck.

Thanks folks!

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:50 PM   #2

melt1109 wrote:
Quote:
I saw this phrase on a BBC show, 'gob struck'... I think it means totally flabbergasted...my dad on getting the new 7d.

We have had a few things going on, so can't post samples yet, and he doesn't have the Vivitar lens yet, but he is just awestruck.

Thanks folks!

M
If this is for you dad, while will it take you the rest of your life to learn? LOL

Dad got 7d
"It will take me the rest of my life to learn this camera, I am so excited&

Great camer, regardless of who gets to use it.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:09 PM   #3

One of the beauties of the 7d (and many other DSLR bodies) is that you need to know very little to get started. The green [P] will take good care of you 90% of the time in good light. That should give him a few weeks to learn the more advanced features and take a slew of practice shots. The 7d has a lot of great features that are not included in (or are included but not explained) the manual, so I'd suggest Gary Friedmans bookfora morethorough overview. http://www.friedmanarchives.com/Writ...D_7D_ebook.htm It is well worth the $20.

One of the great things about the 7d is it's plethora of controls. It looks a bit 'franken-camera' but after a very short time I found the controlsquite intuitive and logically placed. I am almost to the point where I need no light to change any setting I need, which is nice where the LCD may be a distraction. (at many events, using a SLR is enough of a distraction)

I do remember you saying that he will be taking most of his shots indoors, and I do want to take this opportunity to steer you clear of the Sigma EF 500 super flashgun. I've had mine for several months and it's inconsistent. I thought for some time that I'd had it figured out but I don't. I'll likely be selling it and replacing it with a Sony (if fully compatible) or a Metz flashgun. I've heard good things about the Metz, but the KM units have a great set of proprietary features that I'm hoping the Sony will also have. The Sigma hasn't been terrible, but for the $ I expect a lot more.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote