Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:52 PM   #1

I guess I should have known a "too good to be true" deal. I picked up a "NIB" KM-7d with the 28~75 f2.8 for $800.00 USD.When I opened, it looked pristine, but I also used to work in a camera store in Key West for many years, ie, a very good repack was possible. It came with a Adorama statement for $899.99 dated just a few weeks before and being married a possible scenario came to mind (don't you tell me you've had that camera for years!) as I've been caught a time or two. I sold off the zoom for $300.00 and was grinning like the Cheshire cat with a $500 brand new 7d and some mighty fine glass from my film days.

The hang seems to be random, at first I thought it was brought on with shooting a rapid sequence or after a lot of pictures so that I felt the body getting warm to the touch. I have 3 batteries and I can't point the finger at any of them, it's now occurred with doors #1, #2 & #3. The camera does not respond to turning off and back on, it stays in a total shutdown until I pull the battery and re-insert it, the camera hums, the red access light flashes and the mirror drops like nothing had happened. The photo I had been taking when it locked up shows as a corrupt file that Adobe chokes on. Has anyone else heard of this or am I terminally unique?

Having tested the digital waters with a Sony dsc-f707 and then a f828 I had been spoiled as I never had a problem with either (but have heard the horror stories) but I did get a positive response r.e. my a1. I have always loved the Zeiss optics and the Minolta G glass so am optimistic about the K-M/Sony marriage. Hey, I survived the Konica merger, whats one more "Engulf and Devora" between friends.

Back to the problem at (or in) hand. Any ideas?

mikekeyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:47 PM   #2

find 'reset all' in the menu and use it

try turning the ring under the 'program' dial a few times left and right (the camera has 'mirror lock-up with the 2 sec self timer)

make sure you are using genuine (or at least name brand) batteries

try a new CF II card

good luck
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:50 PM   #3

mikekeyw wrote:
Quote:
I guess I should have known a "too good to be true" deal. I picked up a "NIB" KM-7d with the 28~75 f2.8 for $800.00 USD.When I opened, it looked pristine, but I also used to work in a camera store in Key West for many years, ie, a very good repack was possible. It came with a Adorama statement for $899.99 dated just a few weeks before and being married a possible scenario came to mind (don't you tell me you've had that camera for years!) as I've been caught a time or two. I sold off the zoom for $300.00 and was grinning like the Cheshire cat with a $500 brand new 7d and some mighty fine glass from my film days.

The hang seems to be random, at first I thought it was brought on with shooting a rapid sequence or after a lot of pictures so that I felt the body getting warm to the touch. I have 3 batteries and I can't point the finger at any of them, it's now occurred with doors #1, #2 & #3. The camera does not respond to turning off and back on, it stays in a total shutdown until I pull the battery and re-insert it, the camera hums, the red access light flashes and the mirror drops like nothing had happened. The photo I had been taking when it locked up shows as a corrupt file that Adobe chokes on. Has anyone else heard of this or am I terminally unique?

Having tested the digital waters with a Sony dsc-f707 and then a f828 I had been spoiled as I never had a problem with either (but have heard the horror stories) but I did get a positive response r.e. my a1. I have always loved the Zeiss optics and the Minolta G glass so am optimistic about the K-M/Sony marriage. Hey, I survived the Konica merger, whats one more "Engulf and Devora" between friends.

Back to the problem at (or in) hand. Any ideas?
If I read this correctly, you have proof that it was returned and should be able to get it exchanged, unless you have had it for a long time, which you must have because they have not sold them for that price recently. Before you do anything try the reset suggestions that were posted here.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:17 AM   #4

Thanks all. I'm afraid I may hafta read the manual too, for me it's like having to stop at a gas station to ask for directions (why would God invent GPS if he wanted us to stop and ask someone anyway? let alone that we get a new toy to play with as well!).

Back in the mechanical shutter days, many a time we "Fixed" a Rollei o other leaf shutter by just cocking and firing to work the stiffness out. That sometimes worked on focal plane shutters as well. I don't remember if it was as effective on the Compur Square vertical shutters like the Nikkormats (and Konica-Minolta s) have. I've been hoping it was a breaking in issuealong those lines.

The camera is less than 90 days old, the rub is we leave for a week in Marco Island Thursday, I really wanted a new toy to play with. I've been reading some of the other forums for advice but things look bleak at the moment. I guess I can spray the internals down with WD-40 (I actually saw a camera (Miranda just dripping with oil)and all I could do was just stare at it trying not to burst out laughing.

Thanks all

Mike Mosher
mikekeyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:14 PM   #5

:sad:This has been happening since about a week after I got my 7d, back in March. I sent it to Sony, who sent it (ground ship) to Precision Camera (PCVR) who reset the firmwareand sent it back to me. They'd had the camera 9 days before logging it in, and sent it back by ground, so I waswithoutthe camera for a month for a one day firmware reset. To add insult to injury, Sony apparently lost the lens I'd sent in (at Sony's request) so now they're "supposed" to be sending me a new one.

Unfortunately, they didn't fix a broken remote connector door, and it's still locking up, so I returned it (on PCVR's dime, but they'd only spring for ground, so it went back in a truck, not a plane. They got it, said, "nope, the firmware is fine, and that's all we're able to do to this camera" and sent it back. They did not (again) repair the connector door, and, when asked about that and the peeling rubber thumb pad, said, "we don't address cosmetic issues."

Mine does it about 3-5 times a week, regardless of the battery or cf card used, and it's completely random.

Sony has left a message about a "buyback." Hope they're willing to buy back the 5600 flash I bought with it.
newsshooterJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:31 PM   #6

Why would you sell the 5600 flash to sony for list price when you can sell it on Ebay for $450-500?

It is too bad that Sony is not taking service more seriously.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:13 PM   #7

Mostly because it's a pain that I don't want to have to deal with. Right now I'm still on the fence. I need a camera fairly quickly, so I'm not going to be able to wait for the 7d successor. So, it looks like I've got to either jump ship, or get an alpha 100, which I've found available, in limited quantity, with that pitiful kit lens they've got.
newsshooterJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:09 AM   #8

newsshooterJim wrote:
Quote:
Mostly because it's a pain that I don't want to have to deal with. Right now I'm still on the fence. I need a camera fairly quickly, so I'm not going to be able to wait for the 7d successor. So, it looks like I've got to either jump ship, or get an alpha 100, which I've found available, in limited quantity, with that pitiful kit lens they've got.
Jim,

You can have it sold on eBay and shipped to the buyer before Sony ever acknowledges receipt, much less issues the refund. My understanding is that they will not buy back accessories, but I guess if the flash was sent in for repair they might. The kit kens isn't as bad as some people claim. Give it a chance.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote