Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:29 PM   #21

RacingManiac wrote:
Quote:
bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
antishake will give you an edge, BUT, it is virtually useless if the subject is moving across the field or if you are panning (i believe some nikon and/or canon lenses may be exceptions)

I don't think thats completely true....I did notice a difference with and without AS one time when my AS was left off from previous day of portrait shooting. I was surprise at the amount of bad shots of the carI got until I noticed it was off.
The difference must have been in the amount of hand shake therefore giving you bad shots with it off. The AS has no wayof measuring and compensating for subject movement.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:40 PM   #22

It is surprising. I never see an advantage while panning. Now, about the AS: will leaving it on all the time kill it sooner? I am looking at a time scale of 3 to 4 years. I know digicams don't survive long enough, but I'd like to get the most mileage out of my two bodies.

RacingManiac wrote:
Quote:
bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
antishake will give you an edge, BUT, it is virtually useless if the subject is moving across the field or if you are panning (i believe some nikon and/or canon lenses may be exceptions)

I don't think thats completely true....I did notice a difference with and without AS one time when my AS was left off from previous day of portrait shooting. I was surprise at the amount of bad shots of the carI got until I noticed it was off.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:33 PM   #23

correct - AS will not help while panning

don't worry about life expectancy, while it's a nice touch, after it breaks down you still have a perfectly good camera

(composite of5 shots):

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:48 PM   #24

Thats what I am getting at though, when you are holding a 300/4 tracking an object it does help with the hand shake situation with AS on rather than off.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
RacingManiac wrote:
Quote:
bernabeu wrote:
Quote:

The difference must have been in the amount of hand shake therefore giving you bad shots with it off. The AS has no wayof measuring and compensating for subject movement.

RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote