Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:30 PM   #21

Jinkage wrote:
Quote:
Another option you may want to consider is using online storage as a kind of redundant storage in conjunction with your CD archiving.

I know some people use FLICKR.. Personally, I use FOTKI.COM If i remember correctlyit costs me something like 60 dollars a yearfor unlimited storage.There is another site that is prettygood but I cant remember it. Think of it as offsite storage in case you ever lose your CD/DVDs.

Also, Thankfully the 5D can take pictures in both RAW and JPEG simulaneously, I make it a point to make sure I have the RAW images backed up (on DVDs) and the JPEGS online.

BTW, Remember that JPEGs degrade over time from use.

Just my 2 cents:G

JPEGS do not degrade with use unless you save over the existing file.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:16 PM   #22

went to get my pictures printed and the guy there told me that the problem with pictures degrading over time on cd'sis only subjected to cd's that are being used often to view photos,

and notnecessarily one that that is kept in storage and would only come out if his computer crashes and his pictures is lost,

how correct is this:?
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:35 PM   #23

My understanding of CD lifespan is quite different than you were told. I was told it's got something to do with the dye between the layers of the CD and it's finite lifespan. This would not be affected by how many times the disk is used ( unless it is damaged in handling).

But this is also a seperate issue from Jpeg degredation, which is a result from the lossy extraction and recompression in the view/save cycle. The Jpeg's on a CD should never degrade until the CD itself degrades (they're never 'resaved' after the first write to the disk). This is one reason a CD is such a good medium to save to, the image filecannot be alteredfrom its original state. It's safe from virus and derelicts.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:42 AM   #24

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
This is one reason a CD is such a good medium to save to, the image filecannot be alteredfrom its original state. It's safe from virus and derelicts.
Obviously, not applicable to re-writable media, but you can change the properties of the files to read only. The best bet with any file storage is to have multiple backups and or different types of media.

Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:21 PM   #25

so would it would be correct to say that photos saved on a cd that is put in storage, with no access to dust, scratches, etc. should have no degration in quality after 10 years:?

Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:26 PM   #26

I would say at least 10 years- providing you are using a decent CD R and take the proper precautions. (actually TDK disks test over 70 years at 85F) Precautions being using CD R marker, not touching the disk surface, etc.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:12 PM   #27

at present i am using memorex, then there is so much pirating in this country you never really know what you bought
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:11 AM   #28

Memorex says 30-50 years, minimum.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:33 AM   #29

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Memorex says 30-50 years, minimum.
By then we will be using a different medium to store images. Perhaps we won't even use cameras. Everything will be captured by a chip implanted under our skin. Our eyes will become the new "shutter" with absolutely no lag.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:01 AM   #30

the rate technology is going i wont be supprised:lol: