Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:33 AM   #11
Administrator

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I think the image quality of the Alpha is HORRIBLE compared to my results with the 7D. I took some very fast sample shots at ISO 100 (using my 28mm f/2) and there was unacceptable noise. Basically, it's a 10 mp sensor, but I'll probably be reducing them to 6 mp to compensate for the noise.
How is it when you take that approach (downsize the 10MP file to 6MP to compensate for the extra noise)?

In good light at lower ISO speeds, it should be able to capture more detail compared to the 5D and 7D.

If you need higher ISO Speeds for low light use, downsizing would be a way to average out some of the noise, making it compare a bit more closely to the 6MP models.

Let us know how that works (downsizing to 6MP to compensate for differences). Ditto for shooting in raw and using a raw converter. Also, try some of the popular noise reduction tools like Neat Image or Noiseware with it and see how that works out.

Most cameras do a bit of noise reduction at higher ISO speeds anyway (resulting in some smoothing of detail). So, if you shoot in raw and do it yourself using better tools, you may get much better results if you downsize to 6MP after noise reduction.

Keep us posted on how it works out.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:23 AM   #12

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
Believe me, I've considered returning it. The thing is, finding a new 7D in-box is virtually impossible (and I wouldn't want to buy one used.) Plus, I don't want to get wrapped up in another repair fiasco. I would consider switching to another brand, but I highly doubt I could get a decent return on the equipment I have.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Not a good sign.... so far you and one other owner are not happy with the Sony. Maybe it will be OK for someone who has not useda 5D or 7D. Is the Sony returnable? If so you could always take a chance on another 7D.

Have you try walmart.com.....I think they still have a few 7D left.
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:27 AM   #13

returned my A100 after 2 weeks...overall image detail slightly better (sometimes) vs. always noisier (ISO 400 up) than my KM 5D.

A100 had great build/feel, LCD, and browse speed...but I still was mainly interested in overall image quality and the KM 5D won IMO...tooooo bad...I was really wanting the A100 to knock my socks off.

Maybe the A200....right!!

DaveRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 5:11 AM   #14

Well, I'm making the switch to Canon (and the land of $1,000 L lenses.)

*sigh*
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:57 AM   #15

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
Believe me, I've considered returning it. The thing is, finding a new 7D in-box is virtually impossible (and I wouldn't want to buy one used.) Plus, I don't want to get wrapped up in another repair fiasco. I would consider switching to another brand, but I highly doubt I could get a decent return on the equipment I have.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Not a good sign.... so far you and one other owner are not happy with the Sony. Maybe it will be OK for someone who has not useda 5D or 7D. Is the Sony returnable? If so you could always take a chance on another 7D.

Sony has a 'flat rate' repair policy for the 7d - $281
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 8:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Sony has a 'flat rate' repair policy for the 7d - $281
Perhaps you can tell me why they refused to fix an in-warranty 7D, then? Putting a flat-rate price on a repair policy implies that they are able and willing to fix 7Ds, yes?
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:49 PM   #17
Administrator

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
Well, I'm making the switch to Canon (and the land of $1,000 L lenses.)

*sigh*
That's up to you.

If you really need more than the 6MP the 7D provides, and don't need the Anti-Shake of the 7D, then Canon makes good gear.

Wal-Mart still has 7Ds left new in the box at $724 with a kit lens, though.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4898002

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote