Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:40 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone out there, particularly 5D users, could shed a little light on a problem I've just encountered?

I went out taking shots of the sun the other evening just as it was setting in light cloud/heavy haze, giving reddish light and appearing as a red disc. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the results I got have me somewhat perplexed, as the camera has captured the scene and rendered it almost posterized in the clouds around the sun with absolutely no variation in tone and a very abrupt cut -off from surrounding colours, making it look completely unnatural.

I contacted K-M but they haven't been very helpful, suggesting anything from CCD bloom to white balance setting, high ISO, colourspace setting, saving in JPEG, not using a grey grad filter, oh and the limited dynamic range of digital cameras. What they have been absolutely sure about is that it is definitely not a camera defect.

For the record, the ISO settings were 200 and 400, Adobe RGB (with no adjustments), white balance Daylight and Cloudy and Extra Fine JPEG. No filters were used. None of the shots indicated blown highlights in the histogram.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions or comments from people experiencing similar problems.

Chris

Attached Images

Chris Bestwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:55 PM   #2

What they said about dynamic range is true. What you see isn't always what you get with mid-range digital cameras like 5D or 7D. I am not sure if even cameras like D2X or EOS 1D can beat film or your eye. Here is an example from my 7D.

The picture is a teddy bear next to a curtain slit.
Attached Images

maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3

And here is when I sacrificed my room's detail for light and shadow on the teddy bear.
Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:05 PM   #4

Hi, Thanks for the reply; do you know if this is just a response in the red channel or do you get the same effect in other channels? According to my histogram, the highlights were well within the range that I could expect to capture. Do you also get this shooting in RAW? Thanks Chris
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:16 PM   #5

I have the same effect in other channels. The shots I showed you were ones I took when my KM7D was brand new and I was playing around with it. Just like you, I was somewhat upset to see it, but I've become wiser about the limitations of my camera and usually don't see such extreme clipping anymore.

If you shoot in RAW mode, you can use software that automatically generates a HDR image by layering RAW at different exposures in photoshop. Search for HDR on delicious for other methods. Here's one: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...amic-range.htm
Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2006, 2:10 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion, though I'm still a little confused that it happens at a point before highlights get blown, for example, there's no sign of it in these shots
Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2006, 2:12 PM   #7

and here*
Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:36 PM   #8

In the shots you posted above, you will notice that areas away from the sun are comparatively brighter than those in your original shot. So basically in your original image, the CCD has to do more "work" at your set exposure.

In the two pics you attached above, this is not the case, as most of the areas are better lit than in your original image.

Ok, check this image out 50mm lens f/1.7 at 1/1500 sec
Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:38 PM   #9

same light bulb, this time at 1/500 sec, f/1.7 50mm lens. You see how combining extreme light and dark areas in one image can cause clipping.
Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:43 PM   #10

whereas something with less contrast between light and dark areas gives better result. f/4.5 1/500 sec @ 75mm, circuit city lens
Attached Images