Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:36 PM   #1

I've looked around and didn't see this information posted (here or on myriad websites.) Unless I've missed it, there is no PC-sync terminal on the Alpha 100. To that end, are they offering a hot-shoe adapter to add PC-sync terminal functionality to the camera?

I've read mention of the PCT-100, but that damn thing is impossible to find for sale. And no mention if it will be compatible.
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Administrator

You did not miss it, there isn't one. Sony will be selling their own version of the PCT-100 for the A100. Remember this is their "entry level" dSLR, expect future "high end" Alpha cameras to include a PC sync port.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:04 AM   #3

I would love to wait for a "high end" model to come out, but who knows when that will happen? I think Sony would have been better served coming out with a tweaked 7D for their first release - but hey, what do I know? LOL!

I have no choice but to go with the A100 for now. Why invest in a replacement 7D when I'll wind up in the same "we can't fix it" boat? I can't afford to invest in an entirely different system, either.

Have you seen the replacement for the PCT-100? Has a model number been released?

steve wrote:
Quote:
You did not miss it, there isn't one. Sony will be selling their own version of the PCT-100 for the A100. Remember this is their "entry level" dSLR, expect future "high end" Alpha cameras to include a PC sync port.
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:36 AM   #4
Administrator

I don't see any on the Sonystyle web site yet.

But, you can get a PC Sync Port a couple of other ways.

One is with a third party adapter that gives you both a PC Sync Port and an ISO standard Hotshoe in the same adapter. I've got one of these for use with a Maxxum 5D. Note the PC Sync Port on the side in the photos:

http://www.pbase.com/digital_initiat...69818/original

Nick (a.k.a., digital_initiatives) is sold out. But, another vendor in Hong Kong lists them often on Ebay:

Ebay Listing for FS-1100 Type Adapter

Just search for FS-1100 for more listings.

Note that this adapter does not have voltage protection built in. So, you would want to use a Wein Safe Sync (and they make them for in line use) for strobes with trigger voltages much over about 6 volts. Here is an in line version at B&H:

Wein In Line Safe Sync at B&H

You could also use a generic hotshoe to pc sync port adapter with a Minolta FS-1100. Again, you'd want to use a Wein Safe Sync with strobes that have trigger voltages much over about 6 volts.

The PCT-100 has voltage protection built in (safe for strobes with trigger voltages up to 400 volts). The FS-1100 (and FS-1100 clones) do not have any voltage protection built in. That's probably why KM wanted so much more for the PCT-100.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:00 AM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
One is with a third party adapter that gives you both a PC Sync Port and an ISO standard Hotshoe in the same adapter. I've got one of these for use with a Maxxum 5D. Note the PC Sync Port on the side in the photos:

http://www.pbase.com/digital_initiat...69818/original

Nick (a.k.a., digital_initiatives) is sold out. But, another vendor in Hong Kong lists them often on Ebay:

Ebay Listing for FS-1100 Type Adapter

Just search for FS-1100 for more listings.
Jim, I was looking at the eBay listings yesterday, and one of the FS-1100 seemed to have the sync cord fitting. I couldn't be sure, but it sure looked like it did.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:08 AM   #6
Administrator

You can see the PC Sync Port on the side of the adapter in the listing I posted a link to. Run your mouse cursor over the bottom right (upside down) image and it will make it larger. See the photos in Nick's (a.k.a., digital_initatives) pbase.com album for a better look.

Nick and this EBay vendor are both in Hong Kong. It took me about 10 days for mine to get here ($16 delivered from Nick). Nick is sold out. But, this Ebay vendor appears to have a lot of them (I see them listed constantly).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote