Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:01 PM   #11

I agree with your statements.

While I didn't purchase the A100, when I finally saw one at Circuit City, I got really excited. When I began to play with it, I noticed that it was not that different at all from my 5D. I did get the 5D from this store for less than half the price, and after oogling over the newness of the A100, I felt OK with my purchase of the 5D a few months ago and did not feel that the increase in megapixel, sensor shaking, and cool gunmetal highlights warranted a $1000 price.

I do hope that the next generation of the Sony SLR cameras will be nice. Many have mentioned that the A100 feels like a Konica Minolta camera that was in development at the time of the Sony purchase. I would like to see what happens when Sony makes a new SLR camera from the ground up--of course, around the Minolta AF mount.

SPtheALIEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:05 AM   #12

As a 5D owner I also agree with your statement, but I am keeping my alpha. It will be used for low iso shootingoutdoors and I will use the 5D for low light. I find the ability to crop and still keep lots of detail a big plus. Here are some pics from my first outing with the Alpha.

alexperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:04 AM   #13

DaveRL wrote:
Quote:
Picture quality would be less than Progressive Scan DVD to HighDef...were talking small...
That's not all that surprising...unless you're going to really large prints, the difference between 6 and 10 MP is pretty small.

FWIW, before I bought my KM5D, I tested out a number of competitive cameras by taking a series of shots using my own memory card, then taking the images home and processing them on my computer. One of the cameras I tested was the 10.2 MP Nikon D200, and I didn't see all that much difference between it and the 5D. As a matter of fact, I'd rate them as pretty much equal in terms of image quality in prints up to 8x10. So I'm not surprised that you didn't notice a huge jump in quality from the A100.

RavenFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:20 PM   #14

Today, with regret, I sold my almost 2 week old Alpha 100. I own a 5D. I returned it today because by monday the 14 day return policy would have expired.

I loved the way the Alpha felt and acted. I have been comparing and testing the 5D and Alpha since my new purchase and I HAVE TO AGREE with the formentioned posts.

ISO800=bad. ISO 1600=horrible. In low light light ISO 400 was in my opinion too noisy.

My decision was made when I saw the noise levels at ISO 200. Also worse on the Alpha. So very dissapointed.

I don't have much grasp in physics but I could tell you from my testing and outings with the Alpha that it was a total waste of my money. Why would anyone who owns a 5D or 7D even bother. Image quality is the most important factor for me. I own a large amount of expensive (G) glass from Minolta and was hoping the move to the Alpha would have complimented that collection.

I also have a 2 month paid low light shoot comming up and that noise issue would have kept me from using that camera.

The only problem now is, I have to get used to the feel of the 5D again! Does not feel so good anymore.

Oh well..image quality rules and I guess I will be waiting for Sony's next product. But this time I will read more user reviews before buying!!
sonolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:31 AM   #15

I FINNALY BOUGHT ON TODAY..THE FIRST PROBLEMS ARE THE MINOLTA SOFTWARE DOESNT WORK WITH IT....UNDERSTANDABLY BUT STILL HAVE TO LEARN A NEW FORMAT AGAIN.

I GOT FOOLED INTO THINKING A M BATTERY IS A M BATTERY.....WELL IST NOT...SO ALL THE M BATTERIES I HAVE FOR MY VIDEO CAM ..FIT BUT ALL YOU GET IS A INCOMPATABLE NOTICE....SO THAT STINKS.......

I LIKE THE NEW LEFT TOP CONTROL BUTTON...

WHEN YOU CHANGE THE APRATURE IN MANUAL THE SPEED CHANGES TOO....DON'T KNOW WHAT IS THE DEEL THERE YET....BUT ITS ANNOYING

PIC QUALITY IS GREAT...ABILITY TO CROP DOWN IS GREAT....

I MISS THE RUBBER THUMB PIECE FROM THE 5D

WELL SEE WHEN I START TAKING SPORT PICS INDOORS .....I HAVE TO RUN HIGH ISO TO KEEP MOTION BLUR AWAY...EVEN WITH THE BIG 2.8 ZOOM I HAVE

GLAD I FOUND THIS PLACE SEE YA ALL AROUND SOON
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote