Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:45 AM   #111

You have all those, but I have the 100mm f/2.0 hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:53 AM   #112

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Exactly.

And I also don't have all the yummy G and SSM lenses....at least not yet.

Which means, the addiction must continue.....sigh!
b.rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:58 AM   #113

Just to make you feel better, I deliberated way too long over the 300 4 G LN- and the 28-70 G EX that KEH had for $665 each a couple of weeks ago. Where can I find those again for that price ???:?
b.rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:56 AM   #114

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
OK time to post my updated list. I am still Sigmaless.

Here is my updated list:

Tamron20-40mm SP F2.7-3.5 (Great lens... got it new for less than used)

KM18-70 kit lens (I have three of these and I hate them all)
KM28-75mm 2.8 D (One of my favorite lenses, like have several primes)
KM28-105mm 3.5-4.5 (I got this new at a good price. Good build, but I don't use it)
Tamron 28-300mmXR F3.5-6.3 LD (Some call it junk, I call it versatile)
Minolta 35-70mm F4 macro (Another classic, dirt cheap with a 7000)
Minolta 50mm F1.7 (Dirt Cheap and my only AF prime)
Minolta70-210F4 Beercan (No collection is complete without this baby)
KM 75-300mm (No comment, but its hard to beat for 59 dollars new)
Tamron 200-400mmF5.6 (My idea of a Canon lens)

1.4X Tamron TC & 2X VivatarTC

2(KM 7D) 2(KM 5D)

5600HS

On the way:

Minolta 24-85mm (Just so I didn't feel left out and I want to see what all the fuss is about)

On my short list:

Tamron 90MM 2.8

Tamron 35-105mm

yo, meanstreak-

i don't see the sigma 24-135 on your shortlist... i also don't see it listed by cameta anymore either! mine is sitting still packed in the box it was shipped in. can't wait to tear in to it... just haven't had the time.
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:58 PM   #115

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
OK time to post my updated list. I am still Sigmaless.

Here is my updated list:

KM18-70 kit lens (I have three of these and I hate them all)
KM28-75mm 2.8 D (One of my favorite lenses, like have several primes)
KM28-105mm 3.5-4.5 (I got this new at a good price. Good build, but I don't use it)
Tamron 28-300mmXR F3.5-6.3 LD (Some call it junk, I call it versatile)
Minolta 35-70mm F4 macro (Another classic, dirt cheap with a 7000)
Minolta 50mm F1.7 (Dirt Cheap and my only AF prime)
Minolta70-210F4 Beercan (No collection is complete without this baby)
KM 75-300mm (No comment, but its hard to beat for 59 dollars new)
Tamron 200-400mmF5.6 (My idea of a Canon lens)

1.4X Tamron TC & 2X VivatarTC

2(KM 7D) 2(KM 5D)

5600HS

On the way:

Minolta 24-85mm (Just so I didn't feel left out and I want to see what all the fuss is about)

On my short list:

Tamron 90MM 2.8

Tamron 35-105mm

yo, meanstreak-

i don't see the sigma 24-135 on your shortlist... i also don't see it listed by cameta anymore either! mine is sitting still packed in the box it was shipped in. can't wait to tear in to it... just haven't had the time.
I was bidding on a used one on EBay, but someone decided he wanted to pay close to what you paid for yours only it was used. I was hoping Cameta would dig up some more at a low price. I don't want to pay a lot of that lens. Besides, I'm not buying it till I hear how bad it is from you.:P

In the meantime, the 24-85 should be at my door soon. I also want to focus on getting the Tamron 90MM.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 1:02 PM   #116

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Yo Max!!!! There is a Like New 85 F1.4 over at KEH. 751 clams... C'mon... it's got your name written all over it.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:38 PM   #117

Well, sony will continue to make this lens. I will wait till they stop making it completely, and then buy it for 200 bucks.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Yo Max!!!! There is a Like New 85 F1.4 over at KEH. 751 clams... C'mon... it's got your name written all over it.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:15 AM   #118

My 24-85mm Minolta from KEH will be here Thursday. I hope someone is home when UPS shows up.

I hope this lens is everything I hear it and see it to be. :|

I know it will be in great shape since it is coming from KEH. They have good service too. I had ordered a hood and the spring release retainer was cracked. I wrote them and they emailed a refund without wanting it back. I think I actually got the check before I got an email response.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:36 AM   #119

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

yo, meanstreak-

Quote:
I was bidding on a used one on EBay, but someone decided he wanted to pay close to what you paid for yours only it was used. I was hoping Cameta would dig up some more at a low price. I don't want to pay a lot of that lens. Besides, I'm not buying it till I hear how bad it is from you.:P

In the meantime, the 24-85 should be at my door soon. I also want to focus on getting the Tamron 90MM.
Quote:

dude, you'll be the first to know how i like this lens. i finally unpacked it out of the shipping box tonight, and wow, it's bigger than i expected it to be. my camera battery is on it's charger - hopefully, our beautiful hawaii weather keeps up, and i'll be able to get outside and walk around a bit tomorrow afternoon.

don't mean to sound like a newbie minoltian, but why km 24-85? you already got the the highly regarded 28-75...

guess i should also post up my "full and extensive lens collection" since this is a share your lens collection thread...

18-70 kit lens

75-300 CC bad boy

just added ... 24-135 sigma

3600hs (D) - i know, it aint a lens, but it does help make up for the lack of fast glass.

to keep things ghetto, all this stuff travels in an insulated lunch bag.

b.rational aint got nothing over my lens library :G

~Aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 1:46 PM   #120
Administrator

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
don't mean to sound like a newbie minoltian, but why km 24-85? you already got the the highly regarded 28-75...
The Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 is my favorite "walk around".

From my perspective, it's focal range is more useful (starts out wider and goes longer compared to something like a 28-75mm), in a lighter package (not everyone wants the size/weight of an f/2.8 zoom). It's not as small and light as the kit lens. But, you can't have everything. lol

In most conditions I personally use a camera in, this focal range works just fine (works out to an angle of view that's equivalent to about 36-128mm on a 35mm model), only losing a stop on average to an f/2.8 zoom.

It also focuses fine (I've never had any problem at all with focus speed/reliability with this lens). It even manages to focus fine in lighting I've had problems in using a Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8, even though the Tamron is brighter.

It's also a relatively sharp lens for a zoom with it's focal range (it's sharper wide open than a lot of zooms are):

http://old.photodo.com/prod/lens/det...5-45-371.shtml

It's not the nicest looking lens around. No gold rings on this one. But, don't judge a book by it's cover. ;-) It's also inexpensive (at least at the time I bought mine), when you could find them for around $100

Because it's a dated lens design, my guess is that newer lenses probably have better coatings for use in harsher lighting. But, from my experience with it, it works just fine in lighting that I've had problems with using some other lenses. This lens has been a favorite of mine, and my KM 5D wears the 24-85mm often.

I posted some snapshots from mine in this thread a while back:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote