Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:00 PM   #151

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Buy it. You know you want to. Its worth it, you won't regret it unless you have a girlfriend or wife and starving kids.

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Sinking deeper: just bought a new 28-70mm f/2.8 G lens for 1000 bucks I heard its better than its digital cousin. :sad:
Wow first is the 80-200 and now the 28-70G that's really deep... hahaha:lol:

I've my own share though, on the verge of buying a Minolta 300 2.8 G HS :roll:
That will be the next poll. "How many of you lie about what you paid for your lenses to your significant other?"

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:09 PM   #152

I had to decide between spending on women and spending on minolta. I don't regret it.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:19 PM   #153

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I had to decide between spending on women and spending on minolta. I don't regret it.
I am so not going there.........:lol:

Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:04 PM   #154

The way I see it: if she loves you, she'd let you drain your wallet on lenses.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:29 PM   #155

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
The way I see it: if she loves you, she'd let you drain your wallet on lenses.
hahaha
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:30 AM   #156

awaiting for my 85mm1.4 G D..... :-)
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:16 AM   #157

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Sinking deeper: just bought a new 28-70mm f/2.8 G lens for 1000 bucks I heard its better than its digital cousin. :sad:

EDIT: scratch that. Abes of Maine cancelled my order because they don't have it.
There is one right now at ebay selling at buy it now price for $959

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:28 AM   #158

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:

EDIT: scratch that. Abes of Maine cancelled my order because they don't have it.
There is one right now at ebay selling at buy it now price for $959

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1
I'm sure it is a great lens, but it is way too rich for my tastes. I am very happy with the28-75mm 2.8 D lens. I'm sure the "G"is sharper and all that jazz, but it is no brighter. Perhaps it holds on to 2.8 a little longer, but I don't know that and have to yet to spend over 400 on a lens. I was almost tempted the other day to break over 400 the other day to get a new Tamron 90mm DI, but I came to my senses and got the older model in like new condition for 200 dollars. I'm not knocking anyone who has the need or desire for "G" glass, but I can't see parting with the cash. I am only speaking in terms of my personal financial situation. I guess someone on a budget could make the arguement thatbuying 2 maybe 3 "G" lenses might be better than buying a bunch of mediorce lenses. So far I am happy with what I own except for two redundant lenses I picked up cheap.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:00 AM   #159
Administrator

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:

They don't exactly have a great reputation, based on customer reviews you find for them at resellerratings.com. You do know that they're in Brooklyn, right?

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2003.html

No offense to NY residents. But, I usually avoid Brooklyn Based vendors. They appear to be better than most of them. But, that's not saying a lot. lol

Advertising a low price (or advertising products that they don't actually have), then calling you to upsell you is standard operating procedure with most of the Brooklyn baed vendors (not to mention that some of them try to gouge you with high unauthorized shipping and insurance charges, gray market gear, claiming that stuff that normally comes with the cameras is not included in the advertised price, etc.).

There may be some great dealers there. But, if a vendor has a Brooklyn Address, I usually place them on my avoid list (since they seem to be able to get away with these tactics there).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:29 PM   #160

Quote:
I'm not knocking anyone who has the need or desire for "G" glass, but I can't see parting with the cash. I am only speaking in terms of my personal financial situation. I guess someone on a budget could make the arguement thatbuying 2 maybe 3 "G" lenses might be better than buying a bunch of mediorce lenses.
I've taken the prime route, so none of my lenses are over $400, but if I bought a zoom that combined several of them I would rid myself of $1000 worth of glass... therefore a $1000 zoom is a reasonable expense (asuming it lives up to the quality of the primes, not likely!).

My basic kit:
17mm f/3.5 Tokina ATX-Pro
28mm f/2 Minolta
90mm f/2.8 Tamron Macro

The expanded kit:
24mm f/2.8 Minolta
50mm f/1.7 Minolta
400mm f/5.6 Sigma (non-apo)
100-200 f/4.5 Minolta
35-70 f/3.5-4.5 Minolta (dont really use it, but its not worth enough to sell)

Just one lens: 24 or 28mm

The rest are gone.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote