Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:35 PM   #161
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
No offense to NY residents. But, I usually avoid Brooklyn Based vendors.
So do NY residents.... LOL
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:57 PM   #162
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not knocking anyone who has the need or desire for "G" glass, but I can't see parting with the cash. I am only speaking in terms of my personal financial situation. I guess someone on a budget could make the arguement thatbuying 2 maybe 3 "G" lenses might be better than buying a bunch of mediorce lenses.
I've taken the prime route, so none of my lenses are over $400, but if I bought a zoom that combined several of them I would rid myself of $1000 worth of glass... therefore a $1000 zoom is a reasonable expense (asuming it lives up to the quality of the primes, not likely!).

My basic kit:
17mm f/3.5 Tokina ATX-Pro
28mm f/2 Minolta
90mm f/2.8 Tamron Macro

The expanded kit:
24mm f/2.8 Minolta
50mm f/1.7 Minolta
400mm f/5.6 Sigma (non-apo)
100-200 f/4.5 Minolta
35-70 f/3.5-4.5 Minolta (dont really use it, but its not worth enough to sell)

The rest are gone.
I think you are better off with the primes.Prior to digital all I owned were prime lenses.I got by with 1 lens for quite some time and eventually ended up with only 2 lenses plus a 2X TC to take care of all my needs. Of course, primescan't match the convenience ofzooms and I think what is available in zooms has gotten better from when I began taking pictures apx. 30 years ago.

While I don't think most zooms come near the quality of the primes, I think there are some do a real good job. Of course those are the ones that usually stay between a 2X and 3X range so some lens swaping is still bound to take place. On such example is the 28-75 2.8 D. It gives me great results throughout it's range. Of course if can't match the brightmess at 50mm of the 50mm 1.7 or 1.4, but at 28mm it seems to come close to the 28mm 2.8 prime. I also like my my Tamron 20-40mm 2.7-3.5 SP. The only prime I have now is the 50mm 1.7 and I have a 90mm Tamron on the way.

I love the 50mm 1.7 because it is compact. I carry it and my 1.4x and 2x TC when I want to travel real light and it's like having three lenses since it remains fairly bright even with a TC. I could probably also stack the TCs if I wanted to, but I imagine the losses might not be worth the effort.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:17 PM   #163
Senior Member
 
tmoreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 477
Default

Oh yeah, I dont intend to go back to zooms, just saying that even the super expensive ones are economical when compared to the 'other' high-quality option of several primes. Trouble is the zoom isnt cheaper and isnt lighter than the combined weight of the primes (but you have ALL the weight on the camera at once), your trading fringe performance issues (close focus, flare, distortion, big filters) for the convienence mostly. I'm not interested in that trade-off right now, plus the only zooms that interest me are ones in the 17-50/2.8 range.

I really like the prime expierience, and am finding that simpler is better (hence my new 3-lens lineup).
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:54 PM   #164
Senior Member
 
cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 718
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:

They don't exactly have a great reputation, based on customer reviews you find for them at resellerratings.com. You do know that they're in Brooklyn, right?

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2003.html

No offense to NY residents. But, I usually avoid Brooklyn Based vendors. They appear to be better than most of them. But, that's not saying a lot. lol

Advertising a low price (or advertising products that they don't actually have), then calling you to upsell you is standard operating procedure with most of the Brooklyn baed vendors (not to mention that some of them try to gouge you with high unauthorized shipping and insurance charges, gray market gear, claiming that stuff that normally comes with the cameras is not included in the advertised price, etc.).

There may be some great dealers there. But, if a vendor has a Brooklyn Address, I usually place them on my avoid list (since they seem to be able to get away with these tactics there).
I bought a lot from Abe's from 1989-91 or so, and quit buying photo gear until this year. They always treated me right back then,
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:32 PM   #165
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 83
Default

Here is an update of my collection of lens group

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC
KM kit lens 18-70mm AF DT f3.5-5.6 D
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Marco
Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3 XR DI LD aspherical (IF) Macro
Simga 30mm f1.4 EX DC
Simga 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro
Minolta APO 300 f2.8 G HS + AF 1.4 APO II TC
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:36 AM   #166
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Oh yeah, I dont intend to go back to zooms, just saying that even the super expensive ones are economical when compared to the 'other' high-quality option of several primes. Trouble is the zoom isnt cheaper and isnt lighter than the combined weight of the primes (but you have ALL the weight on the camera at once), your trading fringe performance issues (close focus, flare, distortion, big filters) for the convienence mostly. I'm not interested in that trade-off right now, plus the only zooms that interest me are ones in the 17-50/2.8 range.

I really like the prime expierience, and am finding that simpler is better (hence my new 3-lens lineup).
Just got a 90mm Tamron.... talk about wow factor. This is a nice lens, but I found the instructions confusing.

I think I understand the purpose of the sliding focusing ring but tell me if I'm correct. I believe by having it in the ring AF mode it spins free and simply prevents you from accidently turning the focus ring while in auto mode and causing damage to the lens or camera. If there is another purpose let me know.

At first the limit switch instructions confused me.It says with the switch in the limit position the camera can be autofocused with greater speed within a given range. Makes sense but the instructions simplytell you set the distance scale to a certain range and then set the focus limiter to limit. In order to set the distance scale at first I thought I had to be in MF mode so I couldset the range by hand, but I discovered I could just aim at close or far subjects in AF mode and achieve the same results. Near objectssets the range to limit0.45 to infinity and far subjectssets it to 0.29-0.4.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:40 AM   #167
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
Here is an update of my collection of lens group

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC
KM kit lens 18-70mm AF DT f3.5-5.6 D
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Marco
Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3 XR DI LD aspherical (IF) Macro
Simga 30mm f1.4 EX DC
Simga 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro
Minolta APO 300 f2.8 G HS + AF 1.4 APO II TC
Have you had the 10-20mm long? How do you like it? I happen to havethe 11-18 KM and I love it. I hear a lot of good things about the Sigma 10-20 and the Tamron 11-18 also. These ultrawides are really something that is tuff to appreciate until you actually have one. I just wish they ran brighter, but you can't have everything.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:42 AM   #168
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 83
Default

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Gobs wrote:
Quote:
Here is an update of my collection of lens group

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC
KM kit lens 18-70mm AF DT f3.5-5.6 D
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Marco
Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3 XR DI LD aspherical (IF) Macro
Simga 30mm f1.4 EX DC
Simga 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro
Minolta APO 300 f2.8 G HS + AF 1.4 APO II TC
Have you had the 10-20mm long? How do you like it? I happen to havethe 11-18 KM and I love it. I hear a lot of good things about the Sigma 10-20 and the Tamron 11-18 also. These ultrawides are really something that is tuff to appreciate until you actually have one. I just wish they ran brighter, but you can't have everything.
Maybe around 3-4 months, is that long enough...?
If they were brighter, i'm prettysurethingswould be more expensive... as for me i try to bring a tripod along to compensate for being brighter... and it work wonderfully.
I have to agree with you, until you haven't gone into ultrawides, you wouldn't know what you are missing.

Below are some shots i have taken with the 10-20:







Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:42 AM   #169
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Gobs wrote:
Quote:
Here is an update of my collection of lens group

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC
KM kit lens 18-70mm AF DT f3.5-5.6 D
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Marco
Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3 XR DI LD aspherical (IF) Macro
Simga 30mm f1.4 EX DC
Simga 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro
Minolta APO 300 f2.8 G HS + AF 1.4 APO II TC
Have you had the 10-20mm long? How do you like it? I happen to havethe 11-18 KM and I love it. I hear a lot of good things about the Sigma 10-20 and the Tamron 11-18 also. These ultrawides are really something that is tuff to appreciate until you actually have one. I just wish they ran brighter, but you can't have everything.
Maybe around 3-4 months, is that long enough...?
If they were brighter, i'm prettysurethingswould be more expensive... as for me i try to bring a tripod along to compensate for being brighter... and it work wonderfully.
I have to agree with you, until you haven't gone into ultrawides, you wouldn't know what you are missing.

Below are some shots i have taken with the 10-20:


Nice.... Very Nice. It's hard for me to pick a favorite because they are unique, but I kinda like the perspective and light of the first shot.




meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:29 AM   #170
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

Here are a couple of quick shots with the Tamron 90MM. This are out of the box and no processing. Some of the shots may appear alittle off because I was using differnt scene modes for different types of shots and a couple of time I left it in landscape or sports mode by accident and I also believe most or all of these shotsare at 800 ISO.




[align=center][/align]




[align=center][/align]



[align=center][/align]



[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:13 AM.