Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:35 AM   #171

Some Shots Closer up.... It's hard work having to walk to compose a shot when you are spoiled by zooms.

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
[/align]
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:35 AM   #172

The Model is a Real Ham

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:04 AM   #173

was also thinking of getting the tamron 90mm, but i cam accross the KM 100 soft focus. now i am thinking if i will get the soft focus or the tamron 90, what do you think?
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:21 AM   #174

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
was also thinking of getting the tamron 90mm, but i cam accross the KM 100 soft focus. now i am thinking if i will get the soft focus or the tamron 90, what do you think?
I'mnot sure it is fair to compare the two since 100 soft has an exclusive feature.If you were comparing the regular 100/2.8 or the 100/2 to the Tamron I might have an opinion. I have heard great things about all of these lenses. I don't think think you could go wrong when the choices are all good. How much is the the soft focus going for? You can get the Tamron used from 200-250. I have seen it new as low as 299.00. The newer DI model is usually sells for 300+ used and 400+ new.

Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:48 AM   #175

i saw it ebay around $750:shock: i asked for a lower price and also I was thinking that i can get the 100 d macro or tamron 90 Sp anytime, but the softfocus is 1 rare piece of glass... its quite expensive also, thats why i'm thinking if i'm gona get it or not....
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:52 AM   #176

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
i saw it ebay around $750:shock: i was thinking if i can ask fo a lower price and also. I was thinking that i can get the 100 d macro or tamron 90 Sp anytime, but the soft is 1 rare piece of galss... its quite expensive also, thats why i'm thinking if i'm gona get it or not....
Too steep for me, but I'm cheap. LOL Is that the going rate for that lens?

I'm sure it provides some real pleasing results, but I guess you might want to talk to someone who has one unless you already have.

Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:32 AM   #177

yup its pricey, reviewers from the other forums like it a lot. whene swith to 0 soft focus, the lens very sharp... and good for protraiture....

well think think....
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:19 AM   #178

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Oh yeah, I dont intend to go back to zooms, just saying that even the super expensive ones are economical when compared to the 'other' high-quality option of several primes. Trouble is the zoom isnt cheaper and isnt lighter than the combined weight of the primes (but you have ALL the weight on the camera at once), your trading fringe performance issues (close focus, flare, distortion, big filters) for the convienence mostly. I'm not interested in that trade-off right now, plus the only zooms that interest me are ones in the 17-50/2.8 range.

I really like the prime expierience, and am finding that simpler is better (hence my new 3-lens lineup).
Just got a 90mm Tamron.... talk about wow factor. This is a nice lens, but I found the instructions confusing.

I think I understand the purpose of the sliding focusing ring but tell me if I'm correct. I believe by having it in the ring AF mode it spins free and simply prevents you from accidently turning the focus ring while in auto mode and causing damage to the lens or camera. If there is another purpose let me know.

At first the limit switch instructions confused me.It says with the switch in the limit position the camera can be autofocused with greater speed within a given range. Makes sense but the instructions simplytell you set the distance scale to a certain range and then set the focus limiter to limit. In order to set the distance scale at first I thought I had to be in MF mode so I couldset the range by hand, but I discovered I could just aim at close or far object in AF mode and achieve the same results. Near objectssets the range to limit0.45 to infinity and far subjectssets it to 0.29-0.4.
Sliding the focus ring back/forward simply disengages it. This makes it easier to hold in AF (since its so huge) and makes the AF motor work less. Could also prevent damage if your holding it tightly when it tries to AF.

The focus range limiter is simply a little stop in the middle of the travel. When engaged, you cant turn the focus ring (AF or MF) past it. You just want to make sure you "trap" the focus ring on the right side for 1:1: or infinity focus, dosent matter how you get it there.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:31 PM   #179

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Oh yeah, I dont intend to go back to zooms, just saying that even the super expensive ones are economical when compared to the 'other' high-quality option of several primes. Trouble is the zoom isnt cheaper and isnt lighter than the combined weight of the primes (but you have ALL the weight on the camera at once), your trading fringe performance issues (close focus, flare, distortion, big filters) for the convienence mostly. I'm not interested in that trade-off right now, plus the only zooms that interest me are ones in the 17-50/2.8 range.

I really like the prime expierience, and am finding that simpler is better (hence my new 3-lens lineup).
Just got a 90mm Tamron.... talk about wow factor. This is a nice lens, but I found the instructions confusing.

I think I understand the purpose of the sliding focusing ring but tell me if I'm correct. I believe by having it in the ring AF mode it spins free and simply prevents you from accidently turning the focus ring while in auto mode and causing damage to the lens or camera. If there is another purpose let me know.

At first the limit switch instructions confused me.It says with the switch in the limit position the camera can be autofocused with greater speed within a given range. Makes sense but the instructions simplytell you set the distance scale to a certain range and then set the focus limiter to limit. In order to set the distance scale at first I thought I had to be in MF mode so I couldset the range by hand, but I discovered I could just aim at close or far subjects in AF mode and achieve the same results. Near objectssets the range to limit0.45 to infinity and far subjectssets it to 0.29-0.4.
Sliding the focus ring back/forward simply disengages it. This makes it easier to hold in AF (since its so huge) and makes the AF motor work less. Could also prevent damage if your holding it tightly when it tries to AF.

The focus range limiter is simply a little stop in the middle of the travel. When engaged, you cant turn the focus ring (AF or MF) past it. You just want to make sure you "trap" the focus ring on the right side for 1:1: or infinity focus, dosent matter how you get it there.
I hadn't thought about the holding part... makes sense though. I never hold the lens so tight it would cause a problem, but I could imagine the AF moving while holding it and causing you to drop the camera being a possibility. Do all of their primes have thering disengagment feature?

Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:44 PM   #180

I dont know how many have it, the Tokina 17mm atxpro has the same arrangement but the tamron 28-300 didnt. I always hold that lens by the focus ring, so disengaging it is pretty much neccasary.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote