Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:52 AM   #31

Come to think of it, i'll drop the 85 1.4G,... thanks:idea:

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
If you can get the 50mm f/1.4 it is almost comparable to the 85mm f/1.4 G (I heard). In the 5D or 7D, it becomes 75mm f/1.4 which is awesome.

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
I would like to get an KM85mm f1.4 G but i think its nowhere to be found... and quite expensive actually... hehehe :?
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:11 PM   #32

There is a 85/1.4 at KEH.com for $850 in EX+ condition.

How do you like that Sigma 30mm? I havent heard much about it, too bad you dont have any minolta primes to compare it to.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:41 PM   #33

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:

How do you like that Sigma 30mm? I havent heard much about it, too bad you dont have any minolta primes to compare it to.
I don't have one but I've heard great things about the Sigma 30mm. I've also heard some good things about the 18-200mm Sigma, which probably makes a great walk around unless you need more tele.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:04 AM   #34

nice.

Well I just purchased my camera, 7d, early this month as a bday gift. Got it from walmart since they had the best deal around for 7d. Almost bought a 5d from circuit city but liked how the 7d felt so went ahead and spent a lil more $.

I have the kit lens, 18-70,
Then within the first week, i purchased a 70-210 f/ 4.5 - 5.6 at ebay for less than $40. Will resell this soon when I get the time, since I upgraded. Then a few days later, a 75-300 from Circuit city for $60+tax.
Then within a couple weeks I scored a 50 1.7 for $30- flat, then a 70-210 f /4 Beercan for $75 flat. Both are in excellent condition and testing the beercan right now. Its been raining here in Houston so didnt have time to go out and explore. BTW, both are acquired from local Pawnshops, and Ill be hunting for more soon.

So yeah, in a month I got a camera and 4 extra lenses. Great scavenging hunt for me, and still have a budget for a decent prime or a much better walk around lens because right now, I kept switching from the kit lens and a tele(Zoom, 75-300 of 70-210) on daylight shootings.

Venn

Also, one last question, say if I buy a 50 1.4 MD mount (which I can get from a friend for dirt cheap) and a 2x A/M Converter (ebay for around $40), it'll be 100 f/1.7 right?

vclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:07 AM   #35

vclipse wrote:
Quote:

Also, one last question, say if I buy a 50 1.4 MD mount (which I can get from a friend for dirt cheap) and a 2x A/M Converter (ebay for around $40), it'll be 100 f/1.7 right?
Nice finds at the pawn shops. I believe the 1.4 Rokkor will be 2.8 with the double, but I may be wrong. In any case, I don't see a need for the MF lens when you already have a 50mm 1.7 A mount.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:48 AM   #36
Administrator

vclipse wrote:
Quote:
You'll have 2 stops of light loss, so it would work out to a 100mm f/2. Of course, since the sensor is smaller than 35mm film, you'd end up with the same angle of view you'd have with a 150mm lens on a 35mm camera using this setup.

But, you'll have some optical degradation from the converter, and you'll need to use manual focus with stop down metering (and the viewfinders can leave a bit to be desired for this purpose on a DSLR with the standard focusing screens).

You may be able to find a converter with less maginifcation that will work and still allow you to focus to infinity (some magnification will be needed in order to). Here is a good forum thread on this subject over at dyxum.com

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2100

I've never been a Minolta shooter (my film gear is Nikon). But, my brother-in-law has a very nice lens collection he uses with an SRT-101. So, I've thought about a converter from time to time so I can borrow his lenses. :-)

But, as bad as my eyes are getting, it's just not worth it to me. I'll let the camera do more of the work with Autofocus. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:16 AM   #37

Thanks cope and JimC for the quick info, and for the link.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
vclipse wrote:
Quote:
You'll have 2 stops of light loss, so it would work out to a 100mm f/2. Of course, since the sensor is smaller than 35mm film, you'd end up with the same angle of view you'd have with a 150mm lens on a 35mm camera using this setup.

But, you'll have some optical degradation from the converter, and you'll need to use manual focus with stop down metering (and the viewfinders can leave a bit to be desired for this purpose on a DSLR with the standard focusing screens).

You may be able to find a converter with less maginifcation that will work and still allow you to focus to infinity (some magnification will be needed in order to). Here is a good forum thread on this subject over at dyxum.com

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2100

I've never been a Minolta shooter (my film gear is Nikon). But, my brother-in-law has a very nice lens collection he uses with an SRT-101. So, I've thought about a converter from time to time so I can borrow his lenses. :-)

But, as bad as my eyes are getting, it's just not worth it to me. I'll let the camera do more of the work with Autofocus. ;-)
vclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:35 AM   #38

The Sigma 30mm is a sharp and very fast lens, i was used to the tamron 28-300 and when i bought the 30mm, i was so amaze how fast it focuses even in low light conditions where the tamron usualy haunts.... and the pictures were amazing...

I'll try to post some pictures on it on a separate thread as soon as i have the time to post them....

Also realy today i cam across to a shop which they have the Minolta 50mm 1.7 but too bad it aint the AF version... it was really cheap...
tmoreau wrote:
Quote:

Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 6:26 PM   #39

Ok

Here is what I have and use with my 7D

50 1.7

100 2.8 macro

200 2.8 Hs

300 2.8 HS

70-200 2.8 SSm

80-200 2.8

28-70 2.8

Wally

waltztj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:55 AM   #40

Can someone recommend good glass for 7D by other manufacturers?

I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 24-135mm as a walkabout lens because I take a lot of pictures in NYC and sometimes the 50mm lens really isn't enough. I don't carry my 28-70mm a lot either because it can be useless on the wide as well as telephoto side.

Any other good quality glass out there? Doesn't need to be specialized, but good quality will do :-)
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote