Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:12 PM   #71

I figured now is a good time to reply to this one. Here's what I have ATM...

18-50 f3.5-5.6 Sigma DC I have read many reviews of this lens that show it as 'poor' but I've found mine a steller 'average'! (and got it super cheap also)

28-80 f4-5.6 Minolta macro This lens is mediocre except for the macro feature, which is outstanding. I've kicked around selling it, but it's not worth anything and it's also a great lens to let the kids run amok with.

28-300 f3.5-6.3 Tamron XR LD IF This is a great all around, it's brighter and sharper than it really ought to be. This lens is mounted on my 7dwell over 50% of the time due to its remarkable range and excellent color representation.

28-105 f3.8-5.6 Sigma IF ASP Virtually a piece of junk. Not sharp or fast, and it doesn't posess the color rendition or contrast it should. I probably have a particularly poor example of this lens, but it embodies why I normally steer clear of Sigma glass. I keep it because I can't bear to admit that I screwed up by buying it. Also it gives the kids an extra 20mm over the Minolta lens. Oh, it does have internal focus. That would be great for mounting a filter if you wanted a crappy shot with a really blue sky.

35-80 f4-5.6 Minolta This is that lens that has the lens cap built onto the front of the lens, I thought it would be nice for the fair or Disneyland. I don't think I've ever mounted it though. lol

35-70 f4 Minolta What a sweet lens. It's super sharp, on the brighter side of average, very quick to focus, has that great Macro feature of the 28-80. My only regret is that I don't have 2.

50 f 1.7 Minolta Everybody already knows how great this lens is. I did buy 2 of these, just in case one needs CLA.

70-210 f3.5-4.5 Minolta I wanted the f4 lens but was talked into this one by a friend. It's smaller, lighter, and shifts the aperture by 1/3 stop on each end. It is as good as the 35-70 f4, and from what I can tell as good (or very nearly) as the 70-210 f4. Even if I get a beercan, this one is going to my grave with me.

2x Phoenix C/D7 Teleconverter I just got this one today from KEH (for $15 mwahahahahaha) but it's got 8 pins, 7 elements, and is chipped (the aperture values are correct on camera). I can confirm that the 70-210 f3.5-4.5 Minolta focus' fast and accurate with this on in decent light. Otherwise, I cannot comment on the quality though it looks suspiciously like the Tamron.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:32 PM   #72

It seems that some people have a PLA - Prime Lens Addiction and some have Zoom Lens Addiction.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:10 PM   #73

lol, I've got primes in other mounts but haven't run across the right ones in Maxxum. ( I prefer to hold expensive ones before I buy them)

My wife did tell me that I couldn't buy more lenses, because I couldn't fit them all in my bag. How foolish was that? I got a bigger bag.

Honestly though, I may stop buying Maxxum mount lenses until I see if there is actually an upgrade path in bodies. I'd hate to move over to the dark side, but it's in Sony's hands, not mine. I certainly am not going to buy a body as noisy as the A100.

Anyone else notice that Sony does not intend to manufacture a 50mm 1.7? If you want a new 50mm prime, you'll need to get the expensive 1.4. Seems odd that their lenses are marketed towards high end and the body towards low end consumers.

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:47 PM   #74

Check this for disappointment:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/8917/lensrat1.html

Many lenses approach 4.9 unbelievable.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:47 PM   #75

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Check this for disappointment:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/8917/lensrat1.html

Many lenses approach 4.9 unbelievable.
I think these ratings are bogus.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:57 PM   #76

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
It seems that some people have a PLA - Prime Lens Addiction and some have Zoom Lens Addiction.
Rumour has it that you have both addictions so badthat you are now starting to look at lenses from Canon and Nikon

[align=center][/align]

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:22 AM   #77

If I had free change of 6k I'd get the: Canon EF 200mm f/1.8 L USM!

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Rumour has it that you have both addictions so badthat you are now starting to look at lenses from Canon and Nikon

[align=center][/align]
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:37 PM   #78

i actually have, to see how much better minolta lenses are, at least price-wise, or maybe its just me and i love bashing the canonites and nikoners....

now if only minolta cough sony could make a full frame dslr...........

i am a tokina lens addict because they have that gold ring... and theyre dam good, i mean a 28-70 and 80-400 pretty much cover everything i could want to cover.... except macro and ultra-wide .

i wonder if anyone here has the macro 3x-5x (i guess that means macro 3 * 1:1 to 5 * 1:1?)

(is there any treatment prescribed for lens addiction?)
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:14 PM   #79

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
i actually have, to see how much better minolta lenses are, at least price-wise, or maybe its just me and i love bashing the canonites and nikoners....

now if only minolta cough sony could make a full frame dslr...........

i am a tokina lens addict because they have that gold ring... and theyre dam good, i mean a 28-70 and 80-400 pretty much cover everything i could want to cover.... except macro and ultra-wide .

i wonder if anyone here has the macro 3x-5x (i guess that means macro 3 * 1:1 to 5 * 1:1?)

(is there any treatment prescribed for lens addiction?)
The treatment for lens addiction is a two step program.

Step 1: Get rid of the DSLR equipment.*

Step 2: Buy an Ultrazoom PnS camera. That way you can only add a wide or tele convertor lens thereby limited your lens options and your addiction.**

* Note: I will gladly help anyone who decide to try this program with step 1 by emailing you the address of the disposal site for the DSLR equipment.

** Note: Step two may require the use of addtional lighting to achieve satisfactory results.

If you enter this program before the end the month, I will waive the FDLD*** fee in step 1.

*** Federal Lens Disposal fee.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:46 AM   #80

Is there a difference in colors between the 85mm f/1.4 and 100mm f/2 ?