Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:17 PM   #1

When I use my Tamron 1.4X, the f stop doesn't change wither in the viewfinder or in EXIF. I just picked up a Tamron 2X, and, to my surprise, it adjusts the f stop in the viewfinder. My question: is there something wrong with my 1.4X, or is this normal behavior?
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:03 PM   #2

cope wrote:
Quote:
When I use my Tamron 1.4X, the f stop doesn't change wither in the viewfinder or in EXIF. I just picked up a Tamron 2X, and, to my surprise, it adjusts the f stop in the viewfinder. My question: is there something wrong with my 1.4X, or is this normal behavior?
I believe there are two different types of teleconvertors... some are ignored by the camera because the contacts just are just used as a pass-through for the lens, but some convertors have a chip , which compensates for the convertor. I think I readthat on DYXUM.COM

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:22 PM   #3

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
cope wrote:
Quote:
I believe there are two different types of teleconvertors... some are ignored by the camera because the contacts just are just used as a pass-through for the lens, but some convertors have a chip , which compensates for the convertor. I think I readthat on DYXUM.COM

You are correct, I posted this question at DPR and was told the same thing. Customer support sent me a confusing response to my inquiry that alluded to the converter being desiggned for film in one breath and digital in the next. I tried both T/C on my 9 and had the same results as on the 5D, so I suspect you are correct. NBD, but if the 1.4 had a problem, I wanted to get it resolved.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:30 PM   #4

cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
cope wrote:
Quote:

You are correct, I posted this question at DPR and was told the same thing. Customer support sent me a confusing response to my inquiry that alluded to the converter being desiggned for film in one breath and digital in the next. I tried both T/C on my 9 and had the same results as on the 5D, so I suspect you are correct. NBD, but if the 1.4 had a problem, I wanted to get it resolved.
I purchased my 1.4 right after you and I haven't done much with it. I'll try to test it later and let you know how mine reacts, though I don't know if we have the same model. I'm not sure all the Tamron 1.4s are the same... it might be related to when it was madebut I'm sure it hasanything to do with whether or not it was made for film or digital.

Out of curiosity, whatis the model number of yours?

Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:25 PM   #5

1.4 Mx AF MC4. I think they make two types, the low cost black and a higher cost white. That's what they show on their site.

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:00 PM   #6

cope wrote:
Quote:
1.4 Mx AF MC4. I think they make two types, the low cost black and a higher cost white. That's what they show on their site.

Mine has the same number. Now clarify for the behavior of yours. In shutter priorty mode if I attach the 1.4 the aperature setting goes from 5.6 to 4, so I guess it has an effect on the metering. In manual mode I am able to change the F stops.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:56 AM   #7

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
cope wrote:
Quote:

Mine has the same number. Now clarify for the behavior of yours. In shutter priorty mode if I attach the 1.4 the aperature setting goes from 5.6 to 4, so I guess it has an effect on the metering. In manual mode I am able to change the F stops.
I can't see much difference here at my PC, but if the weather improves, I will try it outside.