Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:16 PM   #11
Administrator

You're kidding. ;-)

I've got a confession. I've never even read the manual. Yet, I use those kinds of features all the time.

Most cameras have similar features. So, it's easy to figure out how they work, once you've used a few digital cameras. I guess I take those kinds of features for granted.

So, zooming in during playback (using the + key), then zooming back out using the - key, is something I use for "chimping' with almost every image I take to try and make sure I didn't mess up the focus too much).

Personally, I'm not very fond of KM's implementatioin of the playback zoom feature on the KM 5D and 7D (not enough magnification for judgement of critical focus areas for one thing). But, it's better than no zoom at all during playback.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:07 PM   #12

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I always leave it turned off, unless I want to look at camera settings on the LCD (no eye start sensor for me, as leaving the LCD on except when shooting or letting the camera "sleep", has got to chew up battery life).

Speaking of eye start sensor... I really like the idea of the ALPHA's AF starting as soon as your eye approaches the camera. I'll bet it captures some shots on the are normally missed.

Now that I think of it, you can probably emulate the feature by pressing the shutterhalfway as your eye approches the camera. It just requires some thought as raise the camera to your eye, so maybe it's not such a big deal and more of a novelty. In fact, I can imagine there are times you don't want to focus until you frame the shot and pick the subject.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:11 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
That was actually the first thing that came to mind (you pressed the button to toggle between display choices). ;-)

But, since you mentioned resetting the camera, and you've had it for a while, I assumed that something else was causing it.

You're right resetting the camera would have turned the LCD back on so then that probably wasn't the problem unless I didn't do the right reset. There is a playback and a record reset. Don't remember if I did them both for suret. The record reset is the one that resets the display. I'm not gonna worry about it at this point. If it happens again. I'll paybetter attention.At the time I was a little frantic since I thought the camera was broken.

Gotta run... Gotta get up early to wrestle with some bluefish. Thinking of taking the 5D with me. Hmmmmm the AS, might not work too well out in the ocean if the swells up and down..

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote