Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:10 PM   #1

I turned on my 5D tonight and the LCD would not display camera settings. I could pull up menus or play back pictures, but the recording settings would not show up. It was off just like when you put your eye up to the viewfinder. I got it to work by releasing the lens and locking it back place. Strange behaviour if you ask me, since the display normally works even without a lens in place. It was my 35-70mm F4, but I don't see how the lens could affect it, but maybe it was just a coincendence. Prior to trying the lens, I tried switching batteries, turning it on and off, resetting the camera, etc. Nothing worked until I excersized the lens back and forth, but I don't remember if I turned the camera off and on in the process
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 2:08 AM   #2
Administrator

No (I haven't experienced it).

Given what fixed it (remounting lens), the problem was most likely just dirty contacts, and the camera was trying to get info from the lens it saw attached so that it would know what the available aperture range and other used information would be.

I'd clean the contacts on the lens and camera if it happens again, since the solution was remounting the lens (implying that a bad connection was the culprit).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:49 AM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:

Given what fixed it (remounting lens), the problem was most likely just dirty contacts, and the camera was trying to get info from the lens it saw attached so that it would know what the available aperture range and other used information would be.

I'd clean the contacts on the lens and camera if it happens again, since the solution was remounting the lens (implying that a bad connection was the culprit).

Hmmmm.... sounds possible, but what throws me off is that the display was blank as in the way it looks when it is off but when there is no lens attached the display lights up. Of course, there could be something in the design that disables the display if only partially connected. The lens was on the camera for a few days prior to it happening, but it had been working... I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:30 AM   #4

my 35-70 is also 'touchy'

remounting always fixes the problem(s)

perhaps after extended use and timethe contacts 'wear' ?
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:54 AM   #5

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
my 35-70 is also 'touchy'

remounting always fixes the problem(s)

perhaps after extended use and timethe contacts 'wear' ?
What types of problems are you experiancing?

Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:23 AM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:

Jim, I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I was playing around with the 5D whileputting a cheapie LCD protector on when I bumped the LCD display button, which changed the size of the readout making it larger. Of course to make it smaller, I tried pressing it again but thedisplay turned off. I had forgotten aboutsome of the features and functions of this button and had I realized it when my screenwent blank, I would have tried it. Now I'm thinking it may not have been the lens, and it might have just been a coincedence when I got it working by playing with the lens... I may have also hit this button, while playing with the lens. As for how do I explain it turning off... the other day I was playing with the button in another mode, like when the firmware rev comes up. I may have turned it off the other day inadvertantly.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:16 PM   #7
Administrator

That was actually the first thing that came to mind (you pressed the button to toggle between display choices). ;-)

But, since you mentioned resetting the camera, and you've had it for a while, I assumed that something else was causing it.

Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:41 PM   #8

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:

Jim, I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I was playing around with the 5D whileputting a cheapie LCD protector on when I bumped the LCD display button, which changed the size of the readout making it larger. Of course to make it smaller, I tried pressing it again but thedisplay turned off. I had forgotten aboutsome of the features and functions of this button and had I realized it when my screenwent blank, I would have tried it. Now I'm thinking it may not have been the lens, and it might have just been a coincedence when I got it working by playing with the lens... I may have also hit this button, while playing with the lens. As for how do I explain it turning off... the other day I was playing with the button in another mode, like when the firmware rev comes up. I may have turned it off the other day inadvertantly.
You learn something new every day. I never noticed the +/- signs before.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:49 PM   #9
Administrator

I think he's just referring to the display button to the left of the LCD (second button down on the left hand side, directly under the button marked "Menu").

Press it once, it displays settings, press it again, it displays settings larger, press it again, it turns off the LCD display.

I always leave it turned off, unless I want to look at camera settings on the LCD (no eye start sensor for me, as leaving the LCD on except when shooting or letting the camera "sleep", has got to chew up battery life).

Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:08 PM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I think he's just referring to the display button to the left of the LCD (second button down on the left hand side, directly under the button marked "Menu").

Press it once, it displays settings, press it again, it displays settings larger, press it again, it turns off the LCD display.

I always leave it turned off, unless I want to look at camera settings on the LCD (no eye start sensor for me, as leaving the LCD on except when shooting or letting the camera "sleep", has got to chew up battery life).

Well, I still didn't remember you could resize playback images!
cope is offline   Reply With Quote