Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:44 PM   #1

Hi, everybody, I'd like to know which Raw developer software is best for MRW. I have Dimage Master from KM, but to me is unusable (so slow to process a single Raw that one night I fell asleep on my iBook waiting, - really). I'm using Bibble, quite a good software, but not the easiest one, not user friendly (I have version 4.4). I also have Portfolio8, but I experience differences between the previews this software generates, and the final output (obviously Portfolio is not intended to develop Raw files ...).A newcomer from Italy
giorgio69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:32 PM   #2

There are a few free ones out on the web. One I like is Raw Shooter essentials by Pixmatic. Pixmatic has recently been aquired by Adobe, so I suggest getting the free download while it lasts:

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...essentials.asp

Another free one that's ok is called silkypix. You can download at:

http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/download/

It will look like you have to pay, but you can download a free trial of the full version for 30 days and still be able to use a limited version forever.

If you have photoshop CS or CS2, adobe has a download for raw files that includes MRW files. Actually I like the two free ones I mentioned above better than photoshop.

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:46 PM   #3

I have a follow-up question for those of you who use Photoshop CS2 and the MRW format. Do you find the 'as shot' images, when you import the MRW into Photoshop, looks similar to the JPG that the camera captures? That is, when you've set the 5D or 7D to capture both RAW and JPEG, does the MRW file have 'as shot' settings that match the JPEG?

I've been stunned at how different they are on my two computers. It's almost as if the Adobe software isn't reading the 'as shot' values properly. I haven't found any insight on the Adobe message boards.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:02 PM   #4

Thanks, but Raw Shooter seems developed only for win. I'm an Apple user. I'm trying the* other one, Sillkypix. By the way, how is possible that a software so expensive (Dimage Master in Europe is about 200 ) is so poor. Maybe it's a problem that affects only the mac version ...
giorgio69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5

rsturgill wrote:
Quote:
I have a follow-up question for those of you who use Photoshop CS2 and the MRW format. Do you find the 'as shot' images, when you import the MRW into Photoshop, looks similar to the JPG that the camera captures? That is, when you've set the 5D or 7D to capture both RAW and JPEG, does the MRW file have 'as shot' settings that match the JPEG?
I use PSE4, "As Shot" seems to only refer to the white balance. All the other settings are photoshop automatic, not based on camera processing settings (which were used for the jpg but nothing else).
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:55 PM   #6

Thanks, tmoreau. That's what it looks like to me.

My Nikon friends insist that they get specific input from the RAW regarding other parameters. Still, since the D100, D50, and D70 don't capture RAW + JPEG, I don't know how they could assert this.

I appreciate your input.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:58 PM   #7

rsturgill wrote:
Quote:

I've been stunned at how different they are on my two computers. It's almost as if the Adobe software isn't reading the 'as shot' values properly. I haven't found any insight on the Adobe message boards.
If you leave the Bridge settings on Auto, it will adjust the image according to how it compares to similar images in it's database. If you turn "Auto" off, you'll get the image like it was straight from the camera.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:59 PM   #8

does adobe's new lightroom process our raw files? i've downloaded it and played with it but have not tried it with RAW. just an idea... especially since the beta is free!
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:17 PM   #9

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
does adobe's new lightroom process our raw files? i've downloaded it and played with it but have not tried it with RAW. just an idea... especially since the beta is free!
I'm dying to download that, havent had the time yet. One thing that scares me is the unknown price, what if I like it!?

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:43 PM   #10

Lightroom works with MRW files from the 7D and 5D.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote