Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:57 PM   #11

GJBenn85 wrote:
Quote:
The ridiculous prices for the KM flashes will hopefully end considering the nearly identical/identical Sony flashes have hit the market. BHPhoto sells the 5600HS equivalent Sony for $350, compared to $100-150 more for the 5600HS on eBay. I believe the 3600HS equivalent is $300 at BHPhoto...

if you got a ritz camera near by, give'um a call... picked mine up there minty fresh in the box for 200 clams. incidently, they also price match CC (even the open box price) on stuff... so if you're looking for a 5D, you may wanna see if they can hook you up with that too!

Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:15 PM   #12
Administrator

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
believe me Jim C they wernt, i went out for dinner one night with a stunch church group, and only when i turned off the focus assist function, could i have gotten rid of those eye looks, but yet some still seemed to have that effect and often wondered on investing in an external flash like the 3600, to cure this problem

but then sometimes i find that using flash instead of natural lighting washes out the picture
I've heard the the preflash using the built in flash is faster (less chance of causing blinking versus using the 3600HS or 5600HS). But, I don't know that for sure.

It would be tough to do any kind of scientific testing (how many blinks with one versus another), although I've seen some people report measurements before (delay between preflashes and main flash). More or less delay doesn't necessarily mean more or less blinks though.

As for using the flash for AF Assist, that's just plain irritating to subjects (as if a flash isn't irritating enough by itself, you're doing it even more using flash for AF Assist). lol So, I don't use a flash for AF Assist.

If you went with an external KM flash, that would be one advantage (separate illuminator for AF assist versus using a flash for it) if you need AF assist for some reason.

I don't know if using the built in flash for AF Assist contributes to blinking or not. But, I sure wouldn't use it. That's the very first thing I turned off.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:03 PM   #13

a200user...

Sorry for the delay...

As far as my Promaster experience goes, I had the 5550DX. It needs a module for Minolta and the whole set-up was just HUGE. Turns out the module isn't compatible with the 5D (ok for the 7D). I almost got the 7500DX (much smaller, no module necessary), but when I saw the 3600 for $154 I thought I'd jump on it.

And JimC...I was referring to the unreasonable prices on the 5600 when I said it was $400 more. I realize the Sony's are not that much and they should bring any left-over Minoltas down to earth. In Gary Friedman's book he shows some really cool things that can be done with multiple wireless flashes. I figure I'll get the 3600 now, and the Sony version of the 5600 later (to get the extra power and swivel).

They should all be compatible. Another reason why I hesitate to go third party.

Happy Shooting....
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:35 PM   #14

hey jim, i am bidding on a 333 sunpak, and it was used for old minoltas, the xd series, would this work with the fs1100? im getting the third party one thats around 15 bucks rather than 50 for the minolta brand name. thanks, john.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 2:57 PM   #15
Administrator

DorkUnderwater

Yes, it works. That's what I'm using on my KM 5D.

Just buy one of the third party adapters on Ebay for it like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180013784052

The same Hong Kong vendor usually has multiple listings for them at the same time. Just search for FS-1100

It's the same adapter I've got and it gives you an ISO standard hotshoe as well as a PC Sync Port. Click on the upside down adapter image and you'll see the PC Sync Port in the listing (even though the seller doesn't mention it).

I got mine from Nick (a.k.a., Digital_Initiatives), also in Hong Kong for $16 delivered. Nick's sold out now. But, it's the identical adapter (works just fine with my Sunpak 222 Auto and 333 Auto, via pc sync port or hot shoe). Nick's got photos of it here:

http://www.pbase.com/digital_initiat...69818/original

Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:01 PM   #16
Administrator

DorkUnderwater

P.S.

I spent a total of $48 for a flash system to use with my Maxxum 5D (and that included two strobes). I had to buy newer used strobes, since my old Vivitars have trigger voltages that are too high (it's best to use strobes with lower trigger voltages on many newer digital cameras). lol

* $16 for a third party adapter to give the 5D (or 7D) an ISO standard hotshoe (works like the Minolta FS-1100), as discussed in my previous post.

* a Sunpak 222 Auto with tilt and two aperture ranges for a smaller flash unit (GN of about 72 feet at ISO 100) for $7.00 from KEH.com (and they even threw in a nice, coiled PC Sync Cord with it).

* a Sunpak 333 Auto with tilt, swivel and zoom head with multiple auto aperture ranges, as well as better manual settings (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16).

The 333 Auto GN runs from 86 feet to 120 feet at ISO 100, depending on the zoom head setting (it's got a manual zoom head). I got this one for $25 (like new in box in 10 condition from the used department at B&H). It appeared brand new in the box, including the manual.

Total Flash System Investment: $48

Both strobes have nice scales for aperture needed for the selected auto range based on the ISO speed selected

So, used Auto Thyristor strobes are relatively inexpensive on the used market if you don't mind using Manual Exposure on the camera.

How's the wedding preparation coming (you mentioned that you were going to shoot one in August)? Any new lenses? I haven't seen you posting in a while.

Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:06 PM   #17

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
my only one little gripe is that it seems the flash fires before the shutter is opened, thus lots of my friends looked like they are either squinting, stoned, or drunk... the problem was not as prominent when the flash was bounced off the ceiling.

i have always had that problem with my 5D, even more prominent when i use the af illuminator:!:

That's the reason I got Metz54, because it does not use a preflash. Half my familyhave lazyeye and last time I did indoor photography with the built inflash they look really stoned
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:19 PM   #18

I'm interested in finding out about other differences between the Metz 54 and 5600HS-D besides the preflash. Every now and then someone brings up that you cannot use HSS on the metz. I am in a delimma as to which one to buy because HSS and wireless together are the most important feature in any KM flash.

tango_28 wrote:
Quote:
That's the reason I got Metz54, because it does not use a preflash. Half my familyhave lazyeye and last time I did indoor photography with the built inflash they look really stoned
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:40 PM   #19
Administrator

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I'm interested in finding out about other differences between the Metz 54 and 5600HS-D besides the preflash. Every now and then someone brings up that you cannot use HSS on the metz. I am in a delimma as to which one to buy because HSS and wireless together are the most important feature in any KM flash.
It's my understanding that the Metz 54MZ series strobes (with the correct SCA3302M5 or M6 foot) will work fine in wireless mode, as long as they are not the transmitter (you could use the built in flash to control one, but couldn't use it to control other strobes).

HSS should also work fine (except when using the Auto mode, which eliminates a preflash).

The only other drawback that I'm aware of is the inability to use the AF Assist with flash turned off (like you can with KM strobes).

Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:45 PM   #20

Maxxum7D

I didn't think HSS was too important until I saw a photo showing it's capabilities. If you're outside with a lot of light which requires a wide aperature, you can't use fill flash at those shutter speeds. Fill flash makes a BIG difference in certain lighting.

Of course, this is all new to me so I might be off base...and welcome any constructive advice. But I think this sums up HSS.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote