Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 6, 2006, 4:44 PM   #1

when i shoot my 5d with 70-300 i am getting blurre images.

if i use the 18-70 kit lens or my sigma 28-80 lens no problems.

also shooting my 70-300 lens on maxxum 5 35mm no blur. help!!!
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2006, 4:51 AM   #2

- Cleaned the lens?
- Have you tried using it with a tripod, and AS turned off?
- How about with AS ON and with manual focus?
vclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:53 AM   #3

Have tried all of those.

With the tripod problem gets a little better but not completely gone.

cleaned lens thoroughly and also had it cleaned by a local camera repair shop.

I had very good luck with the lens for about three months and all of the sudden this problem started. Decided to try another lens, went to camera shop tried another sigma 70-300 same issue, they also allowed me to try a 75-300 minolta lens and same results. tried the display they had there with same lenses and results were the same.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4

Shutter speed?

Focal length? (is it ok at short end?)

Define "blurred" (examples?).
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:58 PM   #5
Administrator

ecap wrote:
Quote:
Have tried all of those.

With the tripod problem gets a little better but not completely gone.

cleaned lens thoroughly and also had it cleaned by a local camera repair shop.

I had very good luck with the lens for about three months and all of the sudden this problem started. Decided to try another lens, went to camera shop tried another sigma 70-300 same issue, they also allowed me to try a 75-300 minolta lens and same results. tried the display they had there with same lenses and results were the same.
Its sounds like it's probably a shutter speed issue to me, especially if you tried a different lens with the same results (and you say it gets a little better with a tripod).

A lens like a Sigma 70-300mm is not exactly an indoor lens (shutter speeds would be too slow). Unless you were on the wide end of the lens in relatively good light indoors (much better than typical indoor lighting), using very high ISO speeds, it would probably be pretty much unusable indoors without a flash or tripod. Camera shake is going to be magnified at longer focal lengths, and this lens will lose light at longer focal lengths, too (requring longer shutter speeds anyway).

If you didn't notice the issue before, you probably had your ISO speed set higher and/or you were shooting in better light.

I'd post an example of what you're referring to.

Are you getting a good focus lock (half press the shutter and make sure focus locks before shooting)? The camera shouldn't take a photo without a lock, unless you changed a setting (one of the settings will let it take photos without one).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:56 AM   #6

Hey guys thanks for all the info...

when indoors i have been shooting 400 or 800 iso sens. and a 3600 hs minolta flash,

and pics have been great. my problem has been outdoor macro shots in daylight more than anything, should have mentioned that, sorry. I read an article yesterday that said the sigma 70-300 does not work in macro with the 5d, i did not realize that.

If this is true please let me know if there is a good macro lens that will work with the 5d, and preferably my maxxum 5 35mm. I also sometimes getsome blurred images when i shoottelephoto (180-300) no macro outdoors, i will try my iso for that and see if it works. It is just funny i have a 100-200 formy old x700 minolta and shoot my 70-300 on my 7000i minolta and on max 5 35mm with no problems. Also anybody know where i could pick up a 80-200 2.8 lens reasonable. found one on e bay for 1,600 just think thats to much. thanks for all the input, it really helped.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:09 AM   #7

The lens should work fine in macro mode in manual. Don't know if there is an autofocus issue wiht that camera body and macro.
You might be getting blurry shots because at 300mm f5.6 focussed close to the camera the depth of field will be pretty thin. Stop the lens down a bit and see if that helps. This will increase shutter times though so you might need a tripod there too.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote